Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Crack Sound From Centre Console

Yeah, I'd like to solve this problem too. I've searched and searched but can't find out what the solution is.

There are a couple of suggestions around that this can be fixed with some short of shim in between the stereo and the heater-body to stop them touching.

However, I've had the stereo out and its not at all clear that the heater and stereo touch each other anyway.

If anyone has any specific info on this, please post!

Had the garage shim mine, still the same, seems that the fix, whatever it actually is, is a very hit and miss affair.

Even though I am familiar with the crack sound, sometimes its very loud and quite alarming. Very poor for a Lexus.

I had the same crack sound on my 220d. Sounded like a ball bearing being shot at the windscreen. Had it fixed at Lexus during other work.

I was told some shims were needed between the aircon vent unit and the unit below, which i guess is the top of the radio unit. I was told the two plastics expand at different rates resulting in the 'crack' sound. Maybe a small felt pad/washer is the answer. This makes sense in that I only ever heard the crack sound after about 10 mins driving....ie when the air vent likely started to warm and expand.

I was told some shims were needed between the aircon vent unit and the unit below, which i guess is the top of the radio unit. I was told the two plastics expand at different rates resulting in the 'crack' sound.

Normski,

Do you have the Multimedia system? I just have the standard audio system in my car, and when I removed it I found that the vents were nowhere near the audio unit and so there was nothing to shim.

This was on my 220d which had the standard ( pioneer i think) system.

My son has the car now.

Does it not have an aircon unit piggy backed on the top of the radio unit...much like the old is200 unit?

Does it not have an aircon unit piggy backed on the top of the radio unit...much like the old is200 unit?

Ahh, okay, maybe I see what you mean. Perhaps one of the two gaps I've arrowed in this picture needs to be shimmed:

bH2292o.png

Just an idea....

If you have the centre unit removed......preferably when the car is cold......so no plastics have warmed at all.

How about gently wafting a hair dryer over specific areas to see if you can replicate the crack sound of warming components and identify what is moving. I was told categorically it was two plastic surfaces that are touching and expanding at different rates producing quite a loud crack sound.

If I had the 220d here I'd take it apart at the weekend to have a look. But its about 100 miles away from me now.

I did take a few pictures last time I removed the unit to show my son how to get it out. I'll have a look at them when I get home tonight and see if anything is obviously shimmed. If I discover owt I'll come back to you all.

Seems odd that only a few cars will do this - do you have the ML system fitted to yours - maybe a process of elimination if others experiencing the noise can answer this one as to whether they have the system or not and are experiencing the noise

Having worked in the plastic industry for over 20 years I know a bit about plastics and would not have thought that plastic could expand that much to create the sound experienced (I have to say I haven't actually heard it but from the description of the noise it sounds severe) - plastic will expand and contract under heat but to make a sound like that being experienced it must either be under a lot of tension or being buckled or expanding to a point where its springing back on another part. Either way its expanding a lot to make this sound as the heat required would be more than that required to deform the plastic

Have a go at re-directing the heat to the vents or the footwell and see if you can narrow the sound down to a certain point.

Right .. last attempt lol .. 2 panels on the air con control ... Yellow plastic removed and foam placed underneath so between the 2 plastics .. foam placed on the clips as well ... Will report back if successful 😁

50 minute trip from stone cold and NO sound so far ... Looking promising 😁