Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wing Mirror Issue

Hi All,

needs some advice and views on my issue. finally dropped of my Rx400 to dealer yesterday for recall and also made them aware of an issue that we experienced over the colder last few months.

the passanger side heated mirror heats up but after a about 15mins mists back up. the mirror its self moves and folds in as normal.

lexus dealer has told me that the mirror has been hit and fluid is leaking.

its and electric folding mirror. its its been hit there is not a single sign of damage to the outer housing. the mirror swils and tilts as normal in reverse etc.. mirrors are always folded in when parked

so if someone was to knock it and it broke (also allowing the fluid to leak as i have just been told) surely the mirror just wouldnt work than a mist issue.

having just been told that due to the mirror having being knocked or hit the fluid has possibly afected the body work. never seen anything leaking but has been raining for last few weeks but yesterday i never saw anything on the bodywork even when showing the sales guy the mirror issue.

something is not right here. Also when i bought the car the passenger side mirror looked as it had been replaced already as the it just looked a bit poor fitting .

any input would be great. ive already got them down to a 50/50 split on costs, but part of me feels something has happened after leaving the car yesterday or issue is from when i bought it.

thanks all, not feeling to positive about lexus on this.

Bit of a side issue. I had a door mirror vandalised, cost of replacement unit from Lexus £518, fitting extra! How do they justify their prices?

My local independent service technician employed a very powerful 2 part adhesive to repair the damage, cost £40 for labour.

I have now bought and installed a professional high tech night/day security camera system. Cost of parts including camera, digital recording system, 100m special cable, extra strong mounting pole and anchors, power units, accessories etc. Cost £506.

Barrie

Pricey for mirrors. I just can't understand that how can they say its damaged when there is not a single sign of it. I have the sales guy asking about the fluid leak/ bodywork as he saw the car yesterday. I think the service guys messed my car up and covering tracks with this whole issue.

Fluid leaking? Lexus use fluid in the heated mirrors? Thats a new one on me........usually an electric element on the reverse side of the mirror, fluid is very interesting, I want to know more about that technology.

Aha hang on......they are talking about the auto dimming fluid, an LCD technology I would guess, not sure that anyhting to do with the heated part but I stand to learn more.

If the liquid crystal fliud has leaked then the dimming will not work at all, you should notice the difference at night from one side to the other.

1. You say that the mirror starts misting up again after 15 minutes. Can you confirm that the mirror on the other side does not? If both mist up, I would just blame it on the very damp conditions.

2. CAn you confirm whether or not the mirror is dimming by comparing it with the one on the other side? As per Boxbrownie's comments it should be easy to spot.

3. I believe it is easy to remove the glass from the casing by wedging a pencil behind it and leveraging it out. Be careful not to pull it out too far so as to not damage/disconnect any of the wiring. You should then be able to see whether or not there has been any kind of leakage etc.

4. I am not tooo sure how the dimming works, but if it is to do with LCD technology, I would imagine that it would be an LCD film between two panes of glass and that the film gets "activated" via a low electrical current. Assumning that this is correct, then I would guess that, at most, all that is required is for the glass to be replaced. Given that the mirror still folds and tilts, I can't think why you would need to replace the whole unit!

Maybe some of our more technical contributors will comment further....

Are you able to take it to another dealer for a second opinion? (consider going to a Toyota dealer instead....)

It's only passenger side that's at fault. Driver side crystal clear. The faulty one is like first thing on a winter morning. Have to keep pressing the heated switch annoying as he'll. dimming wise it's been fine when it's de-misted.

If anything were to drip there was no sign of it on the bodywork underneath so I'm very confused as to how that's only come up. Even the sales guy is a bit miffed at all this. I honestly think service have messed up here or on attempting to fault find have damaged my car. As wife an I work there is now way we can get away to inspect what's going on and so have to get the mirror fixed.

The sales guy has been a gem trying to help out. Service on the hand have been complete nightmare.

All I think is that they messed up or it was faulty when they sold it and so they trying to pas on to me. The part is not available till tomorrow so I will touch base with them in the morning about it. But appreciate everyone's opinions and assistance here. I think they trying on to be honest. Not a single crack on the housing so how the hell can it have been hit.

Mirror folds, tilts on reverse and seat change.

Do you think it was not fitted correctly that the cold temps would have made it crack and so the leak? That's how it was sold so until october/ November when temps dropes we wouldn't have noticed. Or they broke it

Anyway they wanted £330 and so we doing 50/50 each but I'm not happy hence the more info I get tonight I can raise tomorrow first thing.

Sounds to me like you just need a replacement glass, which will have the dimming and heating elements built into the glass, if they say you need the whole mirror assembly I'd get a second opinion most definately.

Sales guy raised to principle and they are replacing for free. It's not about the money for me it's about knowing the facts of how internal can break without exterior force and damage. Once I pick up and get face to face will be good to know what could have been cause. Anyway dealership was brilliant. Sales guy usual amazing standard. They just new to communicate findings and respond to questions. I did ask for the old part back so I could have investigated, which may have swing something. Maybe

• Like 1

Good result, but I still don't get it.

If there had been leakage, the mirror would no longer dim... and you would not need to replace the whole unit.

• Like 1

I had the call that the car was ready and so rushed to pick it up.

they gave me the old mirror.

from the pic you can see the marks on it. originally it was the just the line across the top but now there is like some leakage on the left. hard to show but the mirror is worse than when i handed it over. so looks like its had further damage. wont go into anymore best to move forward.

anyway Lexus has come through, they sorted it which many other dealerships wouldn't.

again have to say many thanks to Andy and David for sorting it.

anyone know if you are supposed to get paperwork for recall job?

post-47934-0-87302400-1391545258_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 4 years later...