Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Changing Manual Gearbox Oil Is220D

Hi, I've had a good search and can't find anyone who has changed the gearbox oil in an is220d. I want to do this to see if it improves the gear change, especially 1st to 2nd when the car is cold. I have changed the box oil on many cars and found it can make massive improvements, especially when the correct oil is used. So I have the following questions:

Can it be done and is it straightforward?

Which oil grade should be used?

Any special tools needed?

Guest bigbullhead

I have 69 pounds including oil from Bexhill gearbox not really noticed any improvement but my car was high mileage so wanted to do it just to prolong its life so at that price you can't lose

Do you know which oil they used? Gearboxes always need the correct type or it's a waste of time. I put the correct grade in my Golf and it was worse than before, it had to be VW's own, it's been perfect since.

I think the Lexus needs 1.8 litres of 75w90 GL-4 semi synthetic. Think I'm going to gave to get under the car to see how easy it is

Guest bigbullhead

Off the top of my head I can't remember although it was the correct oil and with his experience the one he used was a good one that was in his opinion a good one that helps the Lexus gearbox

About 1,8 litre ( fill too level plugg ) 75w-90 GL4/5. Not mutch job. Remove the plastic shield, and then a drain plugg and a fill/level plugg on the left side gearboks

I used Motorex, no problem inn minus 25 celcius

• 2 years later...

Hey Gareth,

Did you end up changing your gearbox oil? If you've done it, have you noticed any improvement in the gear shifting? 

I'm considering doing the same and was wondering if there are any resources how it's done.

Best,

Petar

• 11 months later...

obviously new oil will not 'fix' a worn gearbox.

Changing oil in a manual gearbox is straightforward, and recommend by transmission speciallist every 70k miles   (it is not lifetime fill!).   The old oil should really stink ... my diff oil did when I changed recently.... I'll do my gearbox next year.

the IS makes it slightly harder, as the gearbox is right underneath.. .challenge is getting the car up on stands, and still level.  (back it onto ramps, then up onto stands on the front))

The change is more about extending the life of the geabox, than fixing any problem... but worth doing regardless for the sake of a 20 quid and an hour under the car.

My two penneth on this subject is something that was told to me years ago and has stuck in my head ( for some reason) ever since, that is when changing gearbox oil due to the fact it rarely gets changed the plugs might be siezed in very tightly, so always remove the filler plug first to ensure it is free and then the drain as if you do vice versa you could end up stuck with no gearbox oil and be unable to put any new in!

paul m.