Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Right, I'm probably going to buy an 05 RX400h soon, so there's a need to get rid of the LS. Lexus offered me £500 which, for an LPG-converted '98, I think is a bit low. I would be happy with £1,200 or thereabouts (it has no real service history in the last 3 years and has a bit of rust here and there). It's got about 183,000 on the clock, the LPG system is flawless. It's not a mint car but it isn't the worst, and I've spent a fair bit replacing worn suspension components. I'm just a bit bored with it and fancy something different, plus it will need a cambelt change soon.

Should I take the £500 and move on, or would I be better holding onto the LS (the insurance expires in just over a fortnight) to attempt a quick sale?

Also, oddly enough, the RX400h is massively cheaper to insure.

Edited by IHgs300
pm sent

Well I like the idea of a hybrid, the whole "silent at low speeds" thing interests me a lot. Plus it's a fast, powerful 4x4 that is pretty frugal on fuel. If you look at other 4x4's, for a bit of ooomf like the LS400 you need to get a 5 litre engine, and that drinks fuel like nobody's business. If you get an economical diesel they're all pretty slow and of course sound like tractors.

It might be possible to convert the RX to run on LPG too, but for now petrol will be fine. The one I'm looking at is £12,000, expensive for the year but it's from a dealer and to be honest I know they won't mess me around if it has any problems. Not that I'm expecting any.

A measly five hundred quid for your motor is to be expected from a stealership. Private sell is the only way to get nearer to its true value. You should get at least a grand for it, having LPG as well. Hopefully it will go to someone keen on keeping it. I havn't got bored with my mk4 yet. Don't think I ever will. Well, maybe in ten years time when I can afford a 460.

• Like 1

I don't believe in trying to hide faults, there's nothing worse than buying something from someone only to discover that there's a problem. I'd rather just be honest and accept a loss, my conscience is more important than a few quid in the bank.

Anyone turning up and trying those "offer you less" tactics will go home disappointed. I know the car's value.

• Like 1

All we need is the Item number and we have all the info needed.

I will seriously reconsider my position as a Gold Member when it comes up for renewal if members who are not Gold Members are allowed to carry on and thinly disguise there posts for the sale of their cars. Mike

Well, if I've broken any rules, just delete my post, along with any others that have transgressed.

I deliberately didn't post a link, though, bizarrely, it's apparently fine to link to cars of interest being sold by non-members.

In fairness, anybody interested in this car wouldn't need to be Sherlock Homes to find it!!

To make any reference to selling anything on the LOC you need to be a Gold Member. Its not Rocket science.

We don't know the other people making the odd comments aren't mates to keep the thread bumped up the board.

Those that make reference to other cars being sold are Gold members and if not should not be doing it.

So simple. You want to make any reference to how much do you think your car is worth as you are thinking of selling it as a thread on The LOC cost you money to become a Gold Member. Mike

To make any reference to selling anything on the LOC you need to be a Gold Member. Its not Rocket science.

We don't know the other people making the odd comments aren't mates to keep the thread bumped up the board.

Those that make reference to other cars being sold are Gold members and if not should not be doing it.

So simple. You want to make any reference to how much do you think your car is worth as you are thinking of selling it as a thread on The LOC cost you money to become a Gold Member. Mike

I can assure you I'm not his "mate" bumping it up, I don't know him from Adam.

As I said, if anybody is breaking the rules, just delete the posts.

I cannot delete any posts other than my own.

People who advertise on this site pay for the privilege of doing so, so its not fair when members who have paid nothing are seen to be selling albeit under the guise of finding out how much their car is worth and then other non Gold Members pointing out its now on eBay, as I said earlier the only thing missing is the Item number and even though you say you don't know each other we still don't know that.

To find out how much your car is worth (I know its not yours) just go on eBay or one of the many other car sales sites.

Please remember I do not make the rules but they are there for fairness to all and as a club member you are expected to abide by those rules.

Mike

People who advertise on this site pay for the privilege of doing so, so its not fair when members who have paid nothing are seen to be selling albeit under the guise of finding out how much their car is worth and then other non Gold Members pointing out its now on eBay, as I said earlier the only thing missing is the Item number and even though you say you don't know each other we still don't know that.

To find out how much your car is worth (I know its not yours) just go on eBay or one of the many other car sales sites.

Please remember I do not make the rules but they are there for fairness to all and as a club member you are expected to abide by those rules.

Mike

This just gets better, you're now calling me a liar.

I thought better of you.

Mike

This just gets better, you're now calling me a liar.

I thought better of you.

If the people that are supposed to police this forum and I am not including Ian and Steve in this point as they are both hard working club moderators and it would appear they get very little in the way of help or support at the moment, so my decision whether to renew my Gold Membership wont be based on just this particular issue.

No one has called you a liar but put yourself in my shoes. I don't know you or the member selling the car so you could know each other but I accept you have told me you don't and I believe you.

It is every club members duty to read the rules when first joining as it stops misunderstandings like this. This is a good example of how things go awry when the rules are not adhered to.

This is nothing personal, but as a Gold Member it does annoy me when I see Non GM taking advantage of what is a very lenient approach to running the club. Mike

We've gone rather off topic but to go back to the original question, I haven't found my local Lexus dealer very good from a sales perspective on a couple of occasions. Most recently, before I bought my 400 I looked at a 430 and they offered me less than third of CAP trade on my BMW 330. Without a part-ex they wouldn't negotiate on price [which was CAP clean retail] and wouldn't even have the wheels refurbished which they needed due to corrosion so I walked away. I do appreciate they need to make money but I didn't think they were very commercially minded - perhaps this is just my local dealer though.

Ask an innocent question get a pair of knickers well and truly twisted.

The car is sold, so you can now have that coke and a smile. I don't like being called a liar.

How did you know Iiked a coke? and at least now you know what the rules on selling are on the LOC. Mike

We've gone rather off topic but to go back to the original question, I haven't found my local Lexus dealer very good from a sales perspective on a couple of occasions. Most recently, before I bought my 400 I looked at a 430 and they offered me less than third of CAP trade on my BMW 330. Without a part-ex they wouldn't negotiate on price [which was CAP clean retail] and wouldn't even have the wheels refurbished which they needed due to corrosion so I walked away. I do appreciate they need to make money but I didn't think they were very commercially minded - perhaps this is just my local dealer though.

I'm self-employed, always have been. I take the view that it's sometimes better to make not a lot of profit on a job, if the chances are that the person offering that job is going to come back for more. Sometimes you take a hit and never see them again, other times they're over the moon with what they receive and a new relationship is formed.

For instance, the other week I finished a job and then drove my [regular] client miles out of my way to the railway station that would get them back to London. It added at least 30 minutes to an already very long day, but I know the favour will be reciprocated at some point down the line. Good business relationships are easily formed when both parties can make compromises.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links