Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hopefully I'll be in a position in a couple of months time to get back in a Lexus. I used to have a MK3,but I've noticed recently that there doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference in the prices now.I seem to remember some saying that the MK4 didn't seem as good as a MK3 in certain areas. I'm not too bothered about the sat-nav and stuff in a MK4 to be honest, Is the sound system as good in a MK4?. The MK3 was brilliant. Are servicing costs any different?. Does the cam belt last longer before it needs changing?. All that sort of stuff I need answers to please!. Ta from a very windy but dry (at the moment) Eastbourne.

The mark 4 is an all round better car faster more economical, No real electrical glitches the stereo is fantastic. belt change is 90k as with the 430. VSC traction control & snow mode are a major + The VVTI engine is perfect. The mark3 is superb but the mark 4 is just that bit better all round. & for me better than a 430. Go & try one but at the end of the day if a mint perfect mark3 came about I wouldn't rule it out either.

• Like 2

I have not experienced the MK3 sound system but can vouch for the system in the Mk4. I have some pretty high end/professional equipment indoors and the system in my Lexus is on a par and in my opinion second to none.

I listen to mainly Jazz & Blues and the warmth of sound you get with the system is just amazing. I have never heard bass (without trying to dislocate your vertebrae ) in a car that has the qualities this system has. Mike

• Like 2

The mark 4 is an all round better car faster more economical, No real electrical glitches the stereo is fantastic. belt change is 90k as with the 430. VSC traction control & snow mode are a major + The VVTI engine is perfect. The mark3 is superb but the mark 4 is just that bit better all round. & for me better than a 430. Go & try one but at the end of the day if a mint perfect mark3 came about I wouldn't rule it out either.

I'm writing this within five minutes of taking both my Mk3 and Mk4 out for a 20-mile drive on this gorgeous day. In a nutshell I would agree that the Mk 4 is the better car. I find it more refined (if that is possible in an LS 400), more powerful and quieter than my Mk 3. I can't tell any difference between the two sound systems, but then, I'm 73 so I can't claim to be a good judge in this area. My two drives today in my mint LS 400s served to remind me how lucky I am.

Pepe

• Like 1

I thought the VVT-i engine has a timing-belt change at 62,000 miles. Also,. Mk4 has HID headlights and both door mirrors dip down when in reverse gear, not just one. It also has Brake-Assist.

• Like 1

I'm writing this within five minutes of taking both my Mk3 and Mk4 out for a 20-mile drive on this gorgeous day. In a nutshell I would agree that the Mk 4 is the better car. I find it more refined (if that is possible in an LS 400), more powerful and quieter than my Mk 3. I can't tell any difference between the two sound systems, but then, I'm 73 so I can't claim to be a good judge in this area. My two drives today in my mint LS 400s served to remind me how lucky I am.

Pepe

Dont put yourself down, 73 years of hard earnt knowledge in the University of Life. Doesn't come any better. Mike

• Like 1

I thought the VVT-i engine has a timing-belt change at 62,000 miles. Also,. Mk4 has HID headlights and both door mirrors dip down when in reverse gear, not just one. It also has Brake-Assist.

Hi Brian,I wasn't aware that on the Mark4's,BOTH door mirrors dip down? -maybe something wrong with my drivers-side mirror,as it stays in position,when I reverse, can you,or someone enlighten me on this please?

Re dipping mirrors, on my 99 MK IV, if the mirror adjusting button is set to off, ie, in the centre position, neither mirror dips on reversing.

If you set the adjustment switch to N/S, the offside mirror dips on reversing, and vice versa.

I can't remember if I discovered that by accident, or whether it's in the handbook.

Whichever, it's certainly a handy feature.

• Like 1

Re dipping mirrors, on my 99 MK IV, if the mirror adjusting button is set to off, ie, in the centre position, neither mirror dips on reversing.

If you set the adjustment switch to N/S, the offside mirror dips on reversing, and vice versa.

I can't remember if I discovered that by accident, or whether it's in the handbook.

I'm learning something new here. The next time I take my Mk4 out I'll follow this procedure and report accordingly. This is a journey of discovery!

Iain, I think the double-dipping mirror feature depends on the year of manufacture. My car was one of the last LS400's ever built in 2000. This feature was carried over to the LS430 I believe. Something to do with Lexus so-called "Persuit of perfection"?

I have no experience of dipping mirrors, as I have a Mk 3, but I have found this link useful for indicating production changes year by year from 1990 to 2000:

http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

There is no mention of mirrors dipping for 1998 when the Mk 4 was introduced - perhaps the person who compiled these changes (who I think was someone in the US Lexus Owners Club) had not discovered this - but it does say for 1999 that "A change was made to the reverse shift function linked to the outer rear view mirrors". It does not say what the change is but it might well have been the automatic dipping of both mirrors when selecting Reverse gear. This would be consistent with what others have said above.

I have no experience of dipping mirrors, as I have a Mk 3, but I have found this link useful for indicating production changes year by year from 1990 to 2000:

http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

There is no mention of mirrors dipping for 1998 when the Mk 4 was introduced - perhaps the person who compiled these changes (who I think was someone in the US Lexus Owners Club) had not discovered this - but it does say for 1999 that "A change was made to the reverse shift function linked to the outer rear view mirrors". It does not say what the change is but it might well have been the automatic dipping of both mirrors when selecting Reverse gear. This would be consistent with what others have said above.

I think the Americans are a couple of years behind the rest of the world when it comes to the equipment that is fitted to the 98LS.

My 2000 Mk4 definitely has BOTH mirrors dipping when engaging reverse gear.. Adjusting button has to be to the left or right. Power folding mirrors too.

Same here with mine, it seems like minor tweaks through the life of MK4.

Sound system between Mk2 and Mk4, not much in it. I prefer the Mk2 interface (good old fashioned push buttons), where as the Mk4 touch screen display gives clearer details.

Also VSC on MK4 makes a big difference in this naff weather.

Ooops, confession time.

I'd have bet my house that what I posted above was right, but I tried it yesterday, and only the nearside dips when the switch is set to O/S.

Either mine has stopped working, or my memory is turning to mush, I suspect the latter!!

Sorry to add to the confusion.

98 cars will only dip the passenger mirror when the adjuster is set to NS, 99> dip both

Yes indeed. I just went out in my 1998 Mk4 and it does exactly as described above.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links