Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I fitted a cheap one off eBay (£12 :msn-oh: ), which came from China - like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/True-Full-HD-720P-Dash-DVR-Car-Video-Camera-Recorder-Auto-Crash-Cam-Night-Vision-/151109940669?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item232edab5bd

The first one that came worked fine except for some reason, I couldn't play the video's on my PC when I took the SD card out. I mailed them (in China) and they suggested some things which didn't help. Then they offered to send me a second one for cost price ($10, £6) which I did and that one works fine - pretty impressive customer service, I thought :phone:

It came with a long enough power lead that I've routed it along the roof headliner, down the A pillar, under the glovebox and into the power socket under the centre console. I could wire it in permanently (probably some power in the left footwell somewhere) but this works fine for me (I've got a multi-plug adaptor for that power socket).

It works well - goes on/off with the ignition automatically and the picture isn't too bad - it should be good enough to help in the event of an incident (you're not going to need Spielberg-level quality to catch someone reverse into you, for example :shifty: ).

It's mostly hidden behind the rear-view mirror so very unobtrusive.

Funnily enough I just yesterday changed my dashcam which has been running reliably for the past 5 years or so for a better version with much higher resolution and beleive me the difference is staggering, the old cam was a £35 eBay special and was OK picture quality but would never be able to read a plate unless it was right in fron of the cam, my new camera is like watching an HD film on the computer. Admittidley it was a lot more money but not as much as some around now (£120 from Korea), it feels extremely well built and can be optioned with a GPS sensor also (if you feel it needs that).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Black-Box-PANORAMAII-Full-HD-Sony-CMOS-LCD-English-Russian-No-SD-card-/181249487120?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a334fb110

It uses the Sony Exmor chip which makes night filming a revelation, really very good quality even in very poor lighting, I am not sure how I managed with such a poor camera for so long!

Oh yes, an extra bonus with this camera is that in the event of an accident you can unclip it and use it as a still camera out of the vehicle using its built in Battery.......

OK thanks

I was struggling to find a search term to locate the threads but I actually managed to locate the discussions in the end. Interesting reading - I also studied various reviews and have decided on this one

- it should be with me on Friday/Saturday, cost £109 with free delivery

• Like 1

One thing to be aware of with the 0801 camera are the fakes, apparently there are an awful lot of cheap chinese imitations being sold as the real thing, but yes the real thing has a very good rep.

Let us know your opinion once installed.

• Like 1

One thing to be aware of with the 0801 camera are the fakes, apparently there are an awful lot of cheap chinese imitations being sold as the real thing, but yes the real thing has a very good rep.

Let us know your opinion once installed.

Thanks for that tip

I bought it from here...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231143728258?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

.....and paid with Paypal - looks like a decent UK source with 100% feedback so hopefully its all genuine and above board - I'll keep you posted

Dan

The DVR 0801 is the one I am going to buy. It's worth paying another £20 for the hard wire option, this way it is totally hidden and does not take up the lighter socket and look crap.

It's for sale from the same source, just look at his other items for sale and you will find it.

The DVR 0801 is the one I am going to buy. It's worth paying another £20 for the hard wire option, this way it is totally hidden and does not take up the lighter socket and look crap.

It's for sale from the same source, just look at his other items for sale and you will find it.

Yep, I saw this too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Hard-Wire-Kit-for-Mini-0801-Dash-Camera-/350991156517?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item51b8b40525

Are you going to wire it in so it's on 24/7 and if so, what are your thoughts on leaving it fitted in a parked car ? I think I would be worried that the car will be broken into to steal it, as was the case when satnavs first came out ? It's a small unit but I'm not sure if it's inconspicuous enough to leave unattended ?

Yes, I want to fit it and forget about it. It will turn on and off with the ignition. I reckon if its fitted behind the rear view mirror, as high up as possible, it should be almost invisible from the outside. If it worries you, you can just unclip the main unit from the housing which will be stuck to the windscreen with strong 3m tape. Just remember that it will be a wee bit harder to take out if you sell your car, but it should not be that hard.

• 1 year later...

Mini 0801 cameras and their later models are made by various Chinese factories,

The current model is the larger 0806 which is slightly larger than its predecessors and has far more ventilation holes in its case. That's because the earlier models used to overheat. The quality is variable. It apparently depends on which Chinese factory actually made the model you have bought - but if you get a good one it does work., the picture quality is good and the big bonus with the Mini range is that the cameras are so small you can hide them entirely behind the rear view mirror.

The Mini cameras all slide into a stick-on windscreen mount which contains the GPS. Four Gold plated pins on the camera's mounting lug take power from four pins in the GPS mount. They need to make a good contact to ensure you get GPS readings on your camera. You can by-pass the GPS mount and connect the camera direct to the power supply - but bear in mind that the 0806 camera has the new micro USB socket and requires the smaller, thinner micro usb connector NOT the mini USB connector. (You can buy an adapter if you are stuck).

If you connect to your camera - or your GPS camera mount - to the Lexus cigarette lighter socket you should be fine - but don't be tempted to try to wire the camera with a hardwire kit to the sunroof power in the headlining .

This is because - even though your hardwire kit will come with a converter which brings the 12v current down to 5 volts (which is what the camera needs) - the voltage is NOT stable. If you put a meter on it you will see the current fluctuates widely from as low as 1.5 volts to 9 volts . THIS WILL BLOW YOUR CAMERA. Your camera needs a stable and rock steady 5 volts - so always take your power from the ciagrette lighter or from the auxiliary power outlet at the base of the centre console via the cigarette lighter plug which arrived with your camera . That will take the 12v current down to a clean and steady 5 volts.

Most makes of dashcam are intolerant of incorrect voltage so it's absolutely essential you check and double check the voltage they are going to receive is correct BEFORE you connect them up.You will need a USB voltage meter with mini and micro inputs to check this voltage - you can't do it with a conventional tester with probes.

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
On 12/16/2015 at 0:00 PM, Mainsail said:

If you connect to your camera - or your GPS camera mount - to the Lexus cigarette lighter socket you should be fine - but don't be tempted to try to wire the camera with a hardwire kit to the sunroof power in the headlining .

This is because - even though your hardwire kit will come with a converter which brings the 12v current down to 5 volts (which is what the camera needs) - the voltage is NOT stable. If you put a meter on it you will see the current fluctuates widely from as low as 1.5 volts to 9 volts . THIS WILL BLOW YOUR CAMERA. Your camera needs a stable and rock steady 5 volts - so always take your power from the ciagrette lighter or from the auxiliary power outlet at the base of the centre console via the cigarette lighter plug which arrived with your camera . That will take the 12v current down to a clean and steady 5 volts.

And I was about to ask if it was possible to hardwire it somewhere near rear view mirror... Would be neat though - no wires around A pillars etc..

Thanks for the warning!

• 2 weeks later...

Just fitted a Nextbase 212. Dinky and a good price. Seems to work well.

( My Mio stopped retaning the date and didn't always record ! )

• 10 months later...

I've just fitted a dash cam to my rear window and I'd like to hardwire it in. There are plenty of kits with voltage regulators (e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-Car-Camera-Hard-Wire/dp/B00XHYSQAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495387551&sr=8-1&keywords=nextbase+dash+cam+fitting+kit ) but is there a way to hardwire this somewhere into the rear rather than running the cable across the roof and down to the fusebox?

I've just replaced the cigarette lighter in the front with one of these. If there's a 12V (cigarette lighter) socket in the back like there is in mine, may be an idea for you to replace it with one of those? There are also others that let you keep the 12V socket in case it's useful to you, like this one here

Given all the hassle involved I would definitely recommend taking the car to Halfords and getting them to install it . They will make sure the camera is connected to the correct supply and the cabling is invisible. They really are first  rate at doing what is otherwise a  very tricky job which in my experience a lot of garages get wrong. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links