Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yeah... I cant actually remember if it was working when i first looked at it.

Also the eml light came on yesterday too lol

Im not really too worried as the engine is really smooth and not making any bad noises. I get a funny metal on metal grinding sound from the front o/s wheel area when turning full lock left but i suspect that will be problems with the brakes which need replacing Which i knew about anyanyway.

Im going to get it to the local mechanic over easter hopefully to start getting it looked after nicely again.

As it didn't cost me that much for the car i would really like to keep it for at least a year or two and thats why i dont mind spending a bit to get the stuff sorted.

I was contemplating going to lexus Wolverhampton and maybe doing their service plan thing but not so sure as looking at what they do on the list in a service etc a normal garage can do for a lot less i suspect.

Eml on the ls430 most commonly relates to the vsv sensor. Part costs around £59 but labour is just short of £600 as it's a 4 hr job. It could also be O2 sensor but most common is the vsv

The fact that the EML has come on so short after purchase is a little suspicious.

I wouldn't put it past him to have cleared all error codes prior to you or anyone coming to view.

I've had the EML and VSC error warning lights on on a MKIV due to a faulty oil control valve - when I cleared the error codes the lights would stay off for a few days - sometimes longer if not used much.

Took it out for a drive today and the eml light has turned itself off for some reason. May be a dodgy sensor perhaps.

Still going to get it looked at next week though.

Car drives fine still, really like it.

Shame about the wheels though as they look a bit understated ill have to get some bigger ones soon.

:)

Hi all. That was my 430 you bought, there was no lights on dash when it left my possesion I can assure you. Only thing that needed doing was front brakes. If you need any info regarding car let me know. Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah the car is really nice, you must have looked after it well.

The only things I've really spotted are obviously the brakes, drivers auto close door doesn't work and neither does the keyfob buttons but these don't really bother me apart from the brakes Which ill get done very soon along with the bushes.

The engine light was for p0420 and p0430 but that could be some exhaust gas escaping causing the light to come on. I had it reset so will see if it comes back on.

The biggest thing I'd like to get sorted is the common rust spot on the drivers door before it starts getting to far out of control.

Does anyone have any tips on the best thing to do about this common rust spot area?

Soft close never worked neither did buttons on fob since I owned it, never bothered me as who needs a door to close softly I tried new batteries in fobs but still no use but then again didn't bother me. I changed the front right cat converter, so maybe the front left is now ready for replacing. It should tell you when you had codes read it should say left bank ect. I also replaced right side back box. I had bumpers painted to remove stone chips and flaking laquer I had spent a lot of money on it and looked after it. It's well worth spending on as I spent a lot on it. I did all speakers inc subwoofer as they were blowing. Replaced any bulb that was out on dash buttons not cheap the list goes on so hope you enjoy the car. Phil

I didn't know it was him. I just got a txt saying I will give you full asking price. Regards Adam I sold it at a very reasonable price so I had endless texts for it but £1500 takes the car he put money straight in my bank and someone from near me in North Wales picked it up. I was shocked to see it back on eBay being sold by him, as usual he never mentioned things that need doing to it as I stated in my listing. Anyway glad it's gone to a new loc member. I'll be searching for new lex soon don't know what to go for yet. Phil

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

went to see this 2001 LS430 today - Y908 PTF, the seller said that a few people had been along to view - anybody on here or have you owned this car?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503031382009?radius=1500&postcode=pe113af&channel=cars&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&model=ls_430&quicksearch=true&page=1&sort=default&make=lexus&search-target=usedcars&logcode=p

On looking through the documentation, I saw an eBay printout of this car with Lexuschap as the seller. Without judgement, these were my observations about the condition of the car:

Front bumper had been very poorly resprayed - accident damage?

Passenger wing mirror housing cracked/split

Steering wheel motor moves up and down - no telescopic action

OSR Passenger window with white patch

Bonnet surrounding grill heavily stonechipped

Aircon requires regas?

Pulls to the left if you release the steering wheel momentarily

alloys need a good refurb

Not a bad drive otherwise and all the other electrical bits worked properly. It was off road between 2005 - 2013 and I have checked this out on the DVLA MOT history web page and so this is corroborated along with the mileage.

Far too much money. Just the way the reg plate is scruffy and the coolant being too low would put me off, it tells me there's a lack of real care. The white patch on the glass is de-lamination, and a new one is £400+fitting....at least!

Heavy stone chips on the front are common, but it's still twice the price of the one I've just parted with, and mine was nice.

Phil, that is what I thought - too much money. Headlight plastics were also fogging over, whole car inside needed an intensive valet. Underbody looked ok, some surface rust although nothing to be too concerned with - most of the underside as far as I could see retained the plastic/foam shrouds and none were out of place, damaged or missing.

Oil was relatively clean, no mayonnaise and no smell of burnt. Generally, most of the other fluids were low and I had a good look around the engine bay with a high intensity torch and could not see any leaks.

Phil, that is what I thought - too much money. Headlight plastics were also fogging over, whole car inside needed an intensive valet. Underbody looked ok, some surface rust although nothing to be too concerned with - most of the underside as far as I could see retained the plastic/foam shrouds and none were out of place, damaged or missing.

Oil was relatively clean, no mayonnaise and no smell of burnt. Generally, most of the other fluids were low and I had a good look around the engine bay with a high intensity torch and could not see any leaks.

As I've said in previous posts, take your time, there are plenty around, get one with good history and get coil overs fitted, replace the radiator to avoid possible transmission damage and you'll have a fab car. The engine and transmission on the LS430 are superb. Should I ever go back to Lexus that's what I'll be doing. Once you've had a 430 it becomes very hard to go back to a 400 as they seem dated by comparison. However, the 400 is undeniably a better built car overall. I'm enjoying the Volvo experience which surprisingly has most toys that the LS had...and more!

• Like 1

I've had a 430 at the beginning of the year and must say I'm glad to be back in a 400.

Okay the 430 has more gadgets and more wood inside the cabin, but also more gremlins.

Plus, I prefer the shape of the 400. To me the 430 doesn't look as classy.