Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Changed The Bonnet Release Cable Now Car Starts But Stops Immediately

I replaced the bonnet release cable on my LS430. It was a bit of a pig as the string I used to feed the cable back through the bulkhead snapped and I then had to use some fairly crude methods to finally get the cable through. Now the engine starts but immediately stops. If I turn the ignition off and then try again, the same thing happens. If however I attempt to start a second time without switching off, the engine doesn't fire. I'm wondering if I've damaged a cable or something like that but would welcome any suggestions.

Tc

Don't know about 430's, but check if there is a switch near the lock that has been

moved out of position or disconnected

The bonnet is linked to the alarm system on my 400, the alarm may 'think' the bonnet is open

It sounds as if you've damaged the wiring around where you were pulling and tugging or pulled a connector out, either way you're going to have to get close and personal with the under dash area and carefully check everything close to where the cable route is.

Just another thought check the fuel cut off inertia switch which I believe is located under there, if you were using as you described "crude" methods you may have tripped this, I remember once replacing a radio in a Rover 800 and as it was a tight fit gave it a few hits to knock it back into the console, this shock caused the interia switch to trip and produced the same symptoms as you now have.

Well nothing great to report so far. I'm now fairly sure that it is the fuel pump cut off because it does the reset when I switch off completely and the book says that's what should happen. Now waiting for the workshop manual (keep losing the cd!) to arrive and I can have a look at the wiring diagram for that area. I'll let you know how I get on.

Tc

• 3 weeks later...

Finally tracked the broken wire but had to remove the ABS unit and pump so that I could get to the wiring loom. Found it was a white wire with red stripe and silver dots. Loads of them on the wiring diagram so that became a bit more difficult to decipher. Took a chance and soldered a new wire in and then connected it to what I thought was the correct wire in the footwell. Managed to burn my hand and arm with the soldering iron several times before I got the job done. Put back the ABS unit and then came the moment of truth. Turned the key and the fault was still there!! Blast (or words to that effect) and back to the drawing board.

Much head scratching ensued and then in what can only be described as a flash of inspiration I went searching for another white and red wire and found one! Resoldered the wire to the new one and bingo! she fired up as normal. I've done a couple of runs in her now and she's as good as new but I have to admit that at one stage I thought she was finished for good and I'd be selling parts of her on Fleabay.

Tc

• Like 1

glad you got it sorted - not only that you have added valuable info to this site incase someone else has this problem.

I have 2 jobs coming up on moine - replace the front parking sensor and replace the exhaust tips

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links