Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Headunit

tomfowler

Hi all, just a quick question.

I'm looking at getting a new headunit for my IS.

I've been reading threads and it looks like any headunit I get I will have to bypass the amp, will this make the sound quality bad? - If not, i'm guessing I would have to fit the headunit myself as I doubt somewhere like Halfords would know about bypassing it? or would they?

Also, just to confirm, a double din unit will fit in it, correct?

Yes a double din will fit with the facia adapter available on the bay .Bypassing the amp is easy as well also with adapter off e-bay.

Using amp bypass you will lose the woofer on rear speakers.

If your new headunit has pre-amp outputs it is possible to keep original amp by converting existing wiring inputs to amplifier

My son did mine, it's a bit more time consuming but it is possible..

@IHgs300 How do you mean you lose the woofer on the rear speakers - I used a bypass cable and didn't notice any difference? Is there a separate sub woofer?

@tomfowler Don't bother getting Halfords to fit it - do it yourself. Replacing the head unit on the IS200 is the easiest I've ever come across. You have loads of room to access the cables, compared to my old Calibra where you had to connect the cables and shove the head unit hoping for the best...

The only difficult bit is unplugging the cable from the factory amplifier. There is probably a much easier way to do it, but I ended up losing some skin from the backs of my hands! <_<

BTW - check you actually have an amp first - not all of them do. Just pop the glove box out and you should see it on the left hand side if it's there...

@tomfowler Don't bother getting Halfords to fit it - do it yourself. Replacing the head unit on the IS200 is the easiest I've ever come across. You have loads of room to access the cables, compared to my old Calibra where you had to connect the cables and shove the head unit hoping for the best...

trying to balance the cd player on the gear nob half in the slot so you can try and plug the ariel in while shoving the loom down the back because the player wont go all the way in hahaha how I miss my calibra
  • Like 1

I miss the looks and performance - but certainly not fitting the head unit! :lol:

Fitting instructions:

1. Ensure car is in 3rd gear.

2. Balance head-unit on gear stick.

3. Fit cables.

4. Stuff head-unit into slot (hard).

Repeat steps 2 to 4 until there is sound coming from all speakers. If you've also got radio reception, consider yourself a professional installer. :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the factory amp how did you actually get your hand behind let alone take it out lol. Need help with mine spent 40mins doing no joy so gave up. Still need to fit my aftermarket sony into the car everything is ready to go just the factory amp is being a bitch

• 1 month later...

So I've brought this topic up before, after 3 different stereos and 2 wiring looms, I've discounted the amp, plugged in my wiring loom, and yes it worked. Connecting the live to an ignition feed... But then, it drained my Battery while the car wasn't running... So I'm back to square one. Any help would be much appreciated as I'm starting to loose my temper with it, someone said it's the easiest head unit they've come across to change... Rover 25 is easy, this is absolutely ridiculous.

Someone please help me.

The live feed was connected to the ignition live on the heated seat, the company I bought the cable off said it needs to be back at the ignition fuse in the footwell near the amp connector, so I've connected the live there, still drained the Battery flat. It's blowing my mind.

• 1 month later...