Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is This The Ultimate (Semi) Mobile Home?

IHgs300

You might not like the reality of living in one Ian,I helped run a mobile home park in Scotland a few years ago,these Chalets may look well-made,and smart,but believe me,it's all cosmetic,thin-wall construction,flimsy to say the least,simple flooring,at least a two-foot gap needed underneath for services,waste pipes etc, meaning the cold rises up through the flooring,their sturdiness against adverse weather conditions-ie high winds,etc,are questionable,heating bills are astronomical ,as the insulation is minimal,you'd be lucky to get full insurance coverage for them,as they are considered a fire hazard, personally,I'd rather live in a smaller space like a motor -home than one of these units,sorry to throw cold water over your enthusiasm for it Ian!! -( no pun intended )

You might not like the reality of living in one Ian,I helped run a mobile home park in Scotland a few years ago,these Chalets may look well-made,and smart,but believe me,it's all cosmetic,thin-wall construction,flimsy to say the least,simple flooring,at least a two-foot gap needed underneath for services,waste pipes etc, meaning the cold rises up through the flooring,their sturdiness against adverse weather conditions-ie high winds,etc,are questionable,heating bills are astronomical ,as the insulation is minimal,you'd be lucky to get full insurance coverage for them,as they are considered a fire hazard, personally,I'd rather live in a smaller space like a motor -home than one of these units,sorry to throw cold water over your enthusiasm for it Ian!! -( no pun intended )

But what are the bad points? Mike

• Like 1

There are also a lot of issues with unscrupulous site owners - they rarely, it seems, allow statics bought from somewhere else to be put on their sites. They always want you to buy one of their statics already on the site. They then have small print that says you can't have a static more than X years old, so when yours gets to that age, they force you to sell (to them) for a fraction of the real value. They then sell it on (at the real value) to the next sucker.

Check out the 'statics' sub-forum on the UKCampsite forum, for other such horror stories. :arrrggg-matey:

• Like 1

There are also a lot of issues with unscrupulous site owners - they rarely, it seems, allow statics bought from somewhere else to be put on their sites. They always want you to buy one of their statics already on the site. They then have small print that says you can't have a static more than X years old, so when yours gets to that age, they force you to sell (to them) for a fraction of the real value. They then sell it on (at the real value) to the next sucker.

Check out the 'statics' sub-forum on the UKCampsite forum, for other such horror stories. :arrrggg-matey:

Sadly all this and more is true. Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for the info and input guy's, sadly it's just a dream, can't see us ever being able to afford one, Unless the kids retire us to the coast in a few years. once they are all working. :whistling: :)

Static caravans are a rip off, expensive site fees, very restrictive practices by site owners, as described by another poster, difficult to sell without incurring a lot of charges etc. If I were to return to caravanning, I would buy a large tourer and place it on a seasonal pitch. it is a compromise, as you have less room of course, but if you get fed up of a site or an area, simply move it to another for the following season.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links