Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is220D Check Vsc + P2002 + Dpf Removal & Remap = Mot Failure

Katrina

I just can't believe it. I had a check vsc light on all the time with my car driving at under 20 mph constantly so I started to look for an easy fix on this forum around october blast year. The sound of having it cut out was more appealing to me because it meant that the're would be no expensive bills in the long run according to the garage that I found near me. They told me that it was all legal and above board and that once it was done it was going to be the end of the story for good.

Well I went for an MOT this afternoon and was horrified to get a call from the MOT man telling me that thebcarbhad failed for 2 reasons which he explained was No DPF present or has been tampered with and emissions failure on natural and fast idle.

He has advised that to pass the car I need to fit a new DPF onto the car which will sort the emissions fail too. I just can't believe this. The garage that did the work is closed for comment due to me getting the car back at around 6:30 this evening so I'm trying to chew on options right now.

Has anyone else had this or am I the first????

Hello there Katrina.

The inevitable has happened, something we have been discussing since just yesterday.

Assuming that the garage that carried out the removal and emulation told you that it will pass the MOT, your first port of call is to see what they have to say I guess. If they made no mention of it or it does not state it on their website or anywhere within their promotional literature you will probably be wasting your time contacting them.

Utlise the next half hour or so on checking their site and any and all documentation that they gave you when you had the work done by them, that is what I would be doing right now.....

I would be very interested to hear what other owners who have had theirs removed get on with this too.

Did the examiner state the reasons for failing it on DPF removed or tampered with, how did he give that ruling? I am inclined to think that he probably noticed it first and then when he did the emissions test it must have been off the charts compared to cars with DPF's still present as they register hardly anything when the analyser is connected.

Let us know what happens tomorrow, I really want to hear what the removal team have to say about it as most of them advertise their services as:

DOES NOT AFFECT MOT OR EMISSIONS!

• Like 1

after Feb 2014 u must have dpf on ur car for mot otherwise it will not pass. it depends when u had it removed.its mayors cleaner air strategy,im a London taxi driver and can only keep taxis for 15 yrs now.its got to b Euro 4 and 5 .good luck in sorting this matter.iav got tx1 2001 but got only another 3 more yrs theres nothing wrong with taxi its emissions

• 2 weeks later...

AFAIK removing the DPF will not affect the CO emissions as it has nothing to do with them, the diesel smoke test maybe but not CO readings.

Was it confirmed that the DPF was in fact causing the error light to come on?

• 2 months later...

how did this one end up? Have any members on here managed to pass an MOT with the DPF removed? My 57 plate 220d (113k) is waiting to limp into a garage somewhere for a DPF clean............

Looking at the maths now;

a new DPF every 100, 000 miles = £1500 / 100, 000 = 1.5p / mile

1.5p / mile = 0.0025 gallons (approx) "extra expense" per mile

= 1 gallon "extra expense" every 400 miles

eg putting a new DPF on a 220 = the same as taking a 8 - 9% hit on mpg (approx).

Bearing in mind that diesel is roughly 4% more per gallon than petrol this means that the "extra expense" of running a diesel Lexus = approx 13% per mile.

In other words rather than getting a 220D that can hit (typically) 43mpg you could run a petrol vehicle that hits 37 - 38 mpg for the same fuel cost per mile.

My 220D has been great apart from the relatively cr@p mpg, the engine going pop (albeit replaced FOC by Lexus), the appalling front seats, the constantly binding rear brakes and the fact that it now goes into limp mode every 2 miles.

My next car will not be a diesel or a Lexus methinks.........

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same fault symptoms a couple of days ago - for the second time!! First time was about 18 months ago and Lexus dealer charged me £900 to regenerate the DPF.

I spent yesterday morning weighing up the available options and came across a post elsewhere on this forum suggesting a DPF clearner might do the trick. So yesterday I Invested £9 in a DPF cleaning fuel additive, chucked it in the tank and headed to the nearest motorway. Had to stop/start the engine a couple of times en route to get out of limp mode. Blasted down the motorway for an hour at 3000rpm and although the warning lights remained on, the car no longer reverted to limp mode. Was disappointed this morning when the lights were all still on but I set off on a 10 mile cross country journey. Maintained 2500+ revs wherever possible on the outbound journey and arrived with no problems. When I switched the engine on for the return journey the warning lights had disappeared. Time will tell if it's a long term solution. Fingers crossed. I'll update if it was a false dawn.

My strategy for prevention of similar occurrences is to keep the revs at 3000rpm+ on longer journeys once a month or so and use the DPF cleaner every 3 or 4 fill ups.

All adds extra expense but (hopefully!!) will save a lot of hassle.

But if you suffer these symptoms don't panic. Give it a try, No idea what the success rate is but it seems to have worked for me and at less than £10 it's got to be worth a shot. I just wish I'd known about it last year before I paid the dealer £900!! It might not have worked but it will certainly be my first option next time I see the dreaded Check VSC and engine light combination. The one I used is Wynns (Available at Halfords) but there are others avaialble online.

I ended up paying about £100 at Carnetix in Melton to let them take the DPF off and jet wash it through. I then put a can of BG244 (I think that's the name) into the tank. About 2000 miles on and the cars running sweet. MPG is up, engine is smoother and no Blackpool illuminations on the combi meter.

Full marks to Carnetix - quick turnaround, lovely to deal with and fitted me in straight away.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links