Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys,

I have a grinding noise infrequently when I start the car, it's done nearly 60,000 is it just something that happens right before you need a service or something more serious?

Hi James

Can you please give a little more detail. Where does the grinding come from?, are your pressing the clutch or anything?, when does it go away?. The more information the better

Hi mate,

It's coming from what I can only describe as the middle of the engine, it only happens say 2/3 times in 10 and it's only for a second after ignition, it's an automatic so no clutch. I need to really get another person to start it with the bonnet up but with it only happening sporadically. It sounds to me as if it's something winding up and when the engine reaches it's normal idle rpm it goes completely, hope this helps

Sounds like quite a common problem with the VVti system. Some owners report having a top-end rebuild to fix it (with varying success), some report just needing to top-up/change the oil to make it go away, some report just ignoring it without issue. I've not been able to find any mention of a breakdown resulting from this issue.

This thread is a good starting point:

http://www.lexusowne...-warm-start-up/

A very common problem, not just with Lexus. Our VW Golf Mk6 1.4 TSi needed new Valve adjusters to cure it (under warranty), and it has gone away. Like yours it did it 2-3 times out 10 - a bit like a rolled up newspaper being held against bike spokes for about 1-2 seconds - stops suddenly.

Our Mini does it regularly. It's not piston slap, but is accentuated by a cold start, implying, on the mini at least, that it's do with a lack of oil at the valves.

I don't think it's a serious problem - if you have any doubts get Lexus to check it out.

Thanks for the replies, put my mind at rest some what, I think I'll definitely take it into lexus and get them to check it out or just get it serviced and see if it goes

Hi sounds like vvti controlers getting noisy on start up usually inlet side on both banks .have changed these in situ without taking off timing chain cover using lexus special tools

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Change your oil. There's been talk about this for years, and this almost always fixes it. Nothing's really wrong, and you're not doing damage, but it's a good sign your oil is past its best.

• 6 months later...

My IS300H has started making a whirring/grinding noise on start up recently, after about 9500 miles. It only happens on the first start of the day, never subsequently, and perhaps three times out of four. It occurs about 10 seconds after pressing the start button, and before the petrol engine kicks in. It then only lasts a few seconds. I complained about it when the car went in for its 10k service last week, and left the car with them overnight so they could hear the noise when they started the following day. Of course the car refused to do it, so the dealer said he could do nothing. I have since recorded the noise on my mobile phone and e-mailed the sound file to my dealer today. I now await a response.

All these engine start up noises seem to occur as an oil change becomes 'due'. In inverted commas, because I think it's when an oil change is long overdue!

Guys, manufacturers' service intervals are designed to be 'just adequate' for fleet users, to minimise service costs which are a major part of fleet running costs (and I suppose individual owners' running costs if they use the dealer service network). They will enable the car to safely reach 100K miles - and they don't care what happens after that.

As a rule of thumb, change your oil at half the manufacturer oil change intervals - and use engine flush at every oil change. It reduces gum in the oil passages - I believe the noises emanate from parts fed by narrow channels or with small relief holes - especially hydraulic valve lifters and VVT mechanisms. It also helps to preserve timing chains - they stretch and wear when subjected to long oil change intervals and you don't want to know how much it costs to replace the (three) chains on an IS250.

If you can, learn to do the oil change yourself - 6 and a bit litres of decent oil can be bought for not much more than £20 - I use GM Dexos2, available on eBay in 10 and 20 litre quantities for bargain prices (buy the ones that come with the hologram on the label and the multi-language booklet on the back - some others are alleged to be fake). Engine flush (it doesn't really matter which you use - they all do more or less the same job) costs a fiver or so. A genuine Lexus filter costs about £10 and you can buy the tool you need to remove the filter cover for less than £20 (don't try and compromise with a normal cup filter remover or the various universal ones - Lexus oil filter covers can be very tight, even though the torque setting is only 18ftlbs).

There you go - £35 all in.

If you can't do it yorself - and I know it's hard if you live in a flat or have no driveway - go to a small independent garage (or if you must, Kwik Fit) for an intermediate oil change between dealer services.

All my personal opinion - and if you want your car to last and be trouble free!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links