Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Master Key

I have browsed through a few topics on this and on google but do you actually need a master key? Does it make any difference having 2 valet keys?

Won't make any difference until you need spares programming, Impossible to do it yourself without. Lexus would want £1000 plus to change ecu and locks.

There are some auto locksmiths who can "clone"your key though, and or re-programme ecu.

Valet key won't open or lock glove compartment,nor open boot manually or remotely with key,the only way you can open boot is by the boot lever.hope this helps.

I came across a shop locally who cut car keys. They had the link below on the window. I had a look on the website and they do 3 button shells for Lexus. So could I get a valet key duplicated and transfer the bits to the 3 button shell?

http://www.silca.biz

If you duplicate a valet key you will still not be able to lock/open your glove box and boot manually with this key.You will have to ask if they can a 3 button key(with the internals - transponder) for you.

So basically I am asking for a 3 button key to be made from scratch? Can places to do this other than Lexus? I will go into the shop in the morning, was closed when I walked past. I can live without the glove box/boot etc, it's just the part about spares that may need re-programmed.

You can duplicate the valet key then if you want but makes sense having two working spares as opposed to what you are thinking of doing which if I am not wrong is having a spare cut blank fob.

I think if you want a master key, you have to go to Lexus for it. They will be cut from a specific code designated to that car (I found this out by speaking to Lexus, who asked me for this code). The physical profile of the valet key blade is different to that of the master key blade, so a regular key cutters won't be able to replicate that from your valet, and they use an existing key to make a duplicate. So you'd only ever end up with another valet key profile - regardless of what button pack you put in it (as pointed out, grey valet keys have two buttons, and black master keys have three buttons)

A quick question from my side:

My IS200 came with two keys. One has three buttons and one has two. Both keys are black. The 2-button key is unused and brand new - the previous owner only used the 3-button car.

If the 3-button key is the master, and is required to make subsequent copies, should I really be using it as my everyday, primary key? Should I rather use the 2-button one everyday?

Read a topic on this forum from 2012. The Sportcross only had 2 button keys anyway. It was only the saloon version that had the 3 button keys due to the different boot. Can anybody confirm this?

Right I went through all this a couple of years ago.....

You need a master key to programme another key. Even Lexus would need an existing master key to make you a new master. Lexus will order you a new master key, it comes cut already for your car but NOT programmed. The ONLY way it can be programmed is if the car has an existing master key. If you only have 2 valet keys then these can be copied as valet keys but you cannot programme a master key from a valet key. This is what Lexus Bristol told me. Also yes, if the security light goes out immediately after inserting the key it's a master, if the light stays on for 2-3 seconds and them goes out it's a valet key.

• Like 1

Just go out to the car, put your key in the boot and see if you can open it. Do the same with the glovebox. Can you open and lock both? Then you have a master key. Can't? Then it's not a master key. Simple.

I thought we were talking about having key blades cut here? The button pack is removable from the key casing. It can be put in any casing that it will fit in.

Right I went through all this a couple of years ago.....

You need a master key to programme another key. Even Lexus would need an existing master key to make you a new master. Lexus will order you a new master key, it comes cut already for your car but NOT programmed. The ONLY way it can be programmed is if the car has an existing master key. If you only have 2 valet keys then these can be copied as valet keys but you cannot programme a master key from a valet key. This is what Lexus Bristol told me. Also yes, if the security light goes out immediately after inserting the key it's a master, if the light stays on for 2-3 seconds and them goes out it's a valet key.

Thanks for clearing that up, Chris.

With that in mind, I should put my Master key away and primarily use my valet key (which is brand new and unused!). I used the valet key today , it was such an inconvenience not having the remote boot button. (thats where I keep my laptop to and from work)

Guess I should just get used to it if the Master key is so "precious" ....

Depends really there is a programming guide thread some where here,(don't know if I still have mine),all you then need is a three button fob with the blade cut to match the original and a transponder(the remote workings) which you then program using the guide.

Thanks for the information on this thread. I was slightly worried at the start, at the thought of not having a master key. However according to replies on here and the owners manual the Sportcross only had 2 button master keys. The key I currently have locks/unlocks the glove box and the light automatically goes out when I insert into the ignition aswell. On reference to the boot, there is no key lock. Went to my local key cutting place they can duplicate the key for £60 but it's a basic key without any buttons so I think I'm better going to Lexus and paying £200 to get another master key.

Don't pay Lexus for a master key!!!

Join the Facebook IS200 group, I'm an admin of it. Another admin "the original Stoney" has master keys for sale and will include this guide http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/48876-need-a-new-key-you-need-to-read-this/?fromsearch=1

That he wrote a few years ago when he was a member here, he is no longer active on this forum.

• Like 1

Hi , the 2 button key you have for your sportcross is the correct original key ,the sportcross was not issued with a 3 button key as there is no key access for the rear hatch which is operated by the central system ,the key you have is probably a master if it fits all locks as you describe ;

Dave

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links