Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

my mk2 93 has developed sqeaky brakes again. This is the second set of pads i have had since I bought the car in April of this year. The pads have all worn evenly, but the problem is still there. could it be the calipers touching the discs?

the copper grease was used and since yesterday, 3M cushion pads were fitted between the pads and the housing which has made a significant reduction in noise although not totally. The disks are only 2 months old. I am told that the noise comes from the pads vibrating on the disks when pressure is applied. By adding the cushion pads, this should eradicate the problem. However, as it is still there albeit not as loud as before, what else can I do?

Are you using Lexus pads? Did the pad surface look shinny? Sometimes the pads don't come away from the disc and you get a light rubbing which puts a glaze on the pad. This can make them more noisy.

Other than that I guess you could try a different make of pads, do EBC do pads for your model? I know there are people on the list that are using their pads on IS200s. I used their Green Stuff pads on my old Supra and thought they were rubbish compared to the Toyota ones but I think I should have used Red Stuff pads and they have also improved them since.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/

To answer your original question about calipers touching discs. If they were I'd say you had a serious and dangerous fault. I doubt this is the cause.

If memory serves, brake squeal is usually caused by contamination of the brake disc or pads by something like oil. But don't quote me it's something I read or heard a long time ago. I suspect wearing-in the brakes should get rid of the problem. Don't know if there's some way of cleaning them.

Something else I remember is low-quality replacements having inconsistant surfaces causing the vibration as the pads/rotors grip and shear repeatedly.

Here's a full article on Brake squeal:

http://members.aol.com/carleyware/library/bsqueal.htm

• 2 months later...

I’ve sorted out this problem on my own ’90 LS400. To be more precise, Colin at Powerhouse Garage sorted it out for me. He replaced the pads with a softer compound. The squealing disappeared instantly and the braking performance is better too. The noise has not returned after 3,000 miles.

I’ve sorted out this problem on my own ’90 LS400. To be more precise, Colin at Powerhouse Garage sorted it out for me. He replaced the pads with a softer compound. The squealing disappeared instantly and the braking performance is better too. The noise has not returned after 3,000 miles.

Doesn't sound as though he's fixed it at all. Sounds like he's just by-passed the problem.

I'd read this before swapping the pad compounds. You could be boiling your brake fluid:

http://www.jkwebdesign.co.uk/lexusclub/sea...notfadeaway.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links