Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Here we are again with the same old problem.

Tyres have only done 12k miles and the N/S tyre is worse than the O/S.

The Laser alignment was done 3 months ago but the tyre wear has got worse since them.

There is no play in any of the suspension or steering joints etc.

There is 4mm to 5mm left on the good side of the tyre.

The steering wheel sits turned 3/4 degrees off center

Any ideas?

DSCN0042.jpg

DSCN0493.jpg

DSCN0492.jpg

Well, I'm no expert, but your chart seems to be showing a lot of red readings - ie wrong. In particular, seven degrees seems to be a lot of camber on the front wheels, and the chart is showing this setting as being wrong. I'd have expected a lower value for this. I am aware (being careful here about libel!) that there are tyre selling chains with great laser kit for four wheel alignment, but who don't have anyone trained properly to use it. I think that's the thing. Why not ring your local Lexus dealer and ask them who they use? (They won't be doing it themselves round the back, whatever, they may pretend!) Or just ask on here who people would recommend.

: o )

Well, I'm no expert, but your chart seems to be showing a lot of red readings - ie wrong. In particular, seven degrees seems to be a lot of camber on the front wheels, and the chart is showing this setting as being wrong. I'd have expected a lower value for this. I am aware (being careful here about libel!) that there are tyre selling chains with great laser kit for four wheel alignment, but who don't have anyone trained properly to use it. I think that's the thing. Why not ring your local Lexus dealer and ask them who they use? (They won't be doing it themselves round the back, whatever, they may pretend!) Or just ask on here who people would recommend.

: o )

Many thanks. I did wonder myself as to the amount of expertise the person doing it had.

Anybody out there recommend anyone in the Hampshire Berkshire area?

Mike

Looking back at this, I can see I was wrong. The words refer to the blocks above them, not underneath. 7 degrees for castor sounds ok. As do the camber angles of less than a degree .

Sorry!

• 4 months later...

Mike - how far did you get on this?

I took my car to a local Hunter-equipped place, mainly because there's inner shoulder wear on the fronts, and a little pulling to the left and a slight tug of the wheel when coming to a stop (not severe - just a slight pull). I got the first set of measurements, lots of red boxes.

Front:

Camber L -0*10' ___ R 0*21'

Caster L 6*32' ___ R 6*21'

Toe L -0*08' ___ R 0*16'

Total toe 0*09'

Steer ahead -0*12

Rear:

Camber L -1*05' ___ R -0*45'

Toe L 0*21' ___ R -0.01'

Total toe 0*20'

Thrust angle 0*11'

But they were unable to set the rear geometry due to seized nuts/bolts. So they adjusted the front alone, and we talked about a return booking to finish the job (when they could have more time to get any replacement parts that might be needed). OK I thought. (I didn't get a new print out as the settings were't all done.)

But... as I drove away from the place there was a HUGE and very scarey pull to the left. Straight back, very unhappy and they undid the damage.

Now I'm a bit wary. The more I look at geometry stories online, the more horror stories I see. :geek:

Sadly I didnt because a couple of days after I posted that I suffered a slip disc which put me in bed for a couple of months and after many weeks of struggeling around on crutches it has only just become possible for me to go to Slough and get to grips with the tyre problem.

I do remember having the same problem with two seized bolts.

I will get round to it in the next couple of weeks but I have the same fear as you do over all the horror stories about this service. Mike

Just picked up on this thread ........... I know it's a long way from you but I had mine done at Treadmark Tyres in Canterbury, when I bought the car tho', just over 3 yrs ago now. AND they are brilliant at what they do. Very expensive piece of kit AND they have someone who knows how to use it.

Malc

• Like 1

Sadly I didnt because a couple of days after I posted that I suffered a slip disc which put me in bed for a couple of months and after many weeks of struggeling around on crutches it has only just become possible for me to go to Slough and get to grips with the tyre problem.

I will get round to it in the next couple of weeks but I have the same fear as you do over all the horror stories about this service. Mike

So sorry that you have been so unwell, Mike, and for so long. Please accept my very best wishes for a quick and full recovery.

Pepe

From my experience if I need to get a full alignment I go to my local auto-body place that does crash repair and they do a good job.

They have no interest in selling my tyres.

So had a Mk2 fully checked out 4 years ago and tyre wear was sorted.

A year ago had the Mk4 done by ATS and they had to adjust the camber and tracking and because the tyres were badly scrubbed it was hard to tell.

Now I have a new full set on and will be looking for any problems very closely, to see if ATS set up is still good and will be getting the tracking checked for first 1000 miles on new tyres (sometime in next two weeks)

By the way the auto-body shop said cars like Honda and Lexus are nice to work on because the adjustments are easier to do than on most other motors they do.

• Like 1

From my experience if I need to get a full alignment I go to my local auto-body place that does crash repair and they do a good job.

They have no interest in selling my tyres.

I agree with your logic, but the place I went to was a crash repair place with Hunter equipment. Scary result (see above) and I won't be going back. So I guess they vary.

I've now made an appointment at WiM for next week. Fingers crossed.

So sorry that you have been so unwell, Mike, and for so long. Please accept my very best wishes for a quick and full recovery.

Pepe

Many thanks Pepe. Well on the road to recovery now. I am even allowed out on my own. Mike

That readout looks very wrong on some measurements, especially the castor and rear camber.

Think logically though, both castor readings are about the same 7degree out toward the front of the car, unlikey that both sides would move the same distance out of spec.

Add to this the rear camber, again a similar reading out of spec.

I would think the equipment was not set correctly. The steering wheel should be straight before the alignment starts so they can ensure the setting is done, not straight after also suggest incorrect testing.

I know this does not answer the original issue of tyre wear.

Only thing i can think of for the wear is worn bushes or hub bearing maybe

• Like 1

When I bought that mint Mark 4 19kmiles two years ago the previous owner had not used it in the previous three years eg 250 miles between mot's.I did a couple of 1200 mile trips in short order and started to suffer extreme outer edge tyre wear on the front nearside.

Broaching the subject on here I received lots of advice and having owned a Mark 1 for sixteen years knew that the Ls400 does suffer from reasonable outer edge tyre wear mainly because of heavy cornering.I took the Mark 4 to Lexus who said the teletrimy was spot on but the tyre continued to wear excessivly .I then went to Devon to see family and had the teletrimy checked at the Mitsubishi dealership in Barnstaple,they found everything fine.

I was advised to check how old the front tyres were (Dunlop sport )they were the original tyres supplied with the car ,over ten years old ,quick visit to my tyre supplier two new Falkens and no more uneven tyre wear.

Age from all accounts weakens the tyre wall and causes outward sag so the outer edge of the wearing surface makes heavier contact with the road.There are set time limits on the use of tyres and just because they look ok they could in fact be dangerous.

• Like 1

Just an update to say that WiM did the alignment. It's a far better car to drive now, a sort of wiggle/shimmy that happened over certain sorts of dips is completely gone.

As the first place I went to (the car accident repair place) had the clever Hunter gear and did a poor job, I'd definitely agree with those who say it's the quality of the mechanic and not the equipment that matters.