Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can anyone please advise me whether there is a way to set up IPOD connectivity in my 99 MK 4 LS 400? I don't want to dismantle any trim or the dashboard to achieve this and my technological capabilities are on a par with Fred Flintstone, so if it can be done, please keep it simple.

thanks

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/lexus-audio-video-security-and-electronics/269156-how-to-build-and-hardwire-an-auxillary-input-to-oem-stereo.html

I followed the link above ^^

This is easily the best method because you get line-out quality from the iPod (not the low quality from headphone jack) and also you can hook up a power supply so that it is also charging at all times it is plugged in. Its definitely worth the extra effort to do it properly. I ran my cable from the amp under the drivers seat to the centre console

It is true that an iPOD does not have the best headphone output quality, which is why I use a Samsung or Sony MP3 player, much better audio circuits.

However in terms of easy to do, and takes 3 seconds to fit is a cassette adaptor. They work well because the metal head to head contact of the adaptor is better at carrying good audio than the actual cassette tape to tape head transmission.

So with an adaptor you get good bass and good treble and I have used one for 6 years, and to be honest having a home stereo worth over £3K I would say the Lexus cassette is not a bad system.

So I got mine from Maplins - Belkin adaptor £12.99. I have tried cheaper ones, but they are too noisy, and to be honest the only time I hear the cassette is when I have stopped up for a kip, and have the stereo turned down low.

I have tried many FM adaptors, but never found one that actually delivers decent sound (usually unclear at high frequencies - I guess due to crappy modulators). The cable with the cassette adaptor is thin, and so I am able to hide it easily to then get to the central console box where I keep the MP3 player.

I use my mine most days, and never had a problem at all.

Also the iPOD audio output is not that bad, just not as good as it was with the Mk1 and Mk2 original hard drive based iPODs, but that is because they use really cheap low grade IC's which struggle to follow demands of delivering current in sync with volts. No different to a cheap Amstrad stereo.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/lexus-audio-video-security-and-electronics/269156-how-to-build-and-hardwire-an-auxillary-input-to-oem-stereo.html

I followed the link above ^^

This is easily the best method because you get line-out quality from the iPod (not the low quality from headphone jack) and also you can hook up a power supply so that it is also charging at all times it is plugged in. Its definitely worth the extra effort to do it properly. I ran my cable from the amp under the drivers seat to the centre console

Thanks for the input Munday. That looks interesting but I don't think you took on board my Fred Flintstone analogy and my not wanting to dismantle the dashboard. I appreciate it though

regards

Hugh