Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mk3 Ls400 Strip Searched By The French Gendarmes

Agree above, Halfords did it for me BUT quite expensive, @£10 for a bit of sticky paper !!! with full instructions for placing them on the correct spots on the headlamps.

But once you have done it ............... I'm going to use silver gaffer tape next time around ( looks the same thing to me ) , I kept the shapes and the instructions .............. and will save that tenner for some beers !!

Malc

Thanks just looked on Halfords web site, the converters & approved french x2 breathalyzer for £13 quid not bad so I guess I will order some.

I have HID lights so I hope the instructions a clear because there are no markings on the headlight plastic.

Tulpen, does the 460 have a switch on the dash labeled AFS (adaptive front lighting system?) If it does, all you have to do is turn it off for driving in Europe. No sticky things required.

Mick,

That was a great question which had me scurrying to look at my owners manual.

I thought that the AFS is a system which allows you to see round corners. It doesn't work below 6 mph and I was under the impression that it has no effect on the normal dip headlights......ie it still needs the sticky. The manual does say to switch it off if you are going from LHD to RHD or vice versa. This is because the AFS is biased one way or the other.

I live in Holland and have a European car.

So I called my friendly Lexus dealer and he says that, when I go to the UK, I need a sticky as well as switching off the AFS.

I'm going to take my car out tonight, park it in front of a wall, check the dip pattern, then switch off the AFS and see if it makes any difference. I don't think it will but I'm very willing to be proved wrong.

My dealer told me the opposite, no need for stickies in Europe. The dipped headlights have a very even throw and with AFS disengaged will not dazzle oncoming traffic. As you say its used to see around corners.

I have never been flashed when driving in Europe so I don't believe I'm dazzling others.

• 2 weeks later...

Have done this (Spain + Portugal) trip in various ways several times, first time Northern Iberia in 1984 in a Citroen Traction Avant!

People would stand up and applaud when we drove through villages!

Later - 90 in worn out..Ser 1 CX, plus in 93, did full thing (living in Andalucia for 6 months) in a Citroen CX Ser 2 (air-con failed at height of heat!)

Then again a couple of times in a Jeep Cherokee in 94/6.

It's a lovely place to drive in/through. Camping by deserted lakes, etc..

Never got to do it in the Drug dealers -evidently - car; either of my LSs!

Though I did get pulled over in Cheltenham (!!) , but, once they asked "Are you Doctor Skelton?" I was O.K.

Me, with long hair etc!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links