Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil Presure And Gearbox

simonneve

Hey!

( car: lexus is 200 1999, automatic gearbox and 270.000 km on the clock )

I also have the problem with oil presure as i have seen others have, it is only when i am standing compleetly still with a warm engine idleing.. then my oilpresure lamp comes on in random flash's some long some short.. what was the solution to this? do anyone know?

I also have the charger / whine from the gearbox but ONLY in 1'st gear - dose this mean my gearbox is doomed within a short time og should i hust dont care? :D

also i feel a lack of torque in the high revs - isent it supposed to be there that there is alot of power? maybe cos of it beeing an automatic? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Gearbox oil and engine are completely different and anything to do with the gearbox will not make the low engine oil pressure light come on.

The whine is a common complaint but with your car on that mileage I suggest you don't flush the auto gearbox. Change little by little as not to shock the box. Doing a flush at that mileage could well kill the gearbox.

Anyway back to engine oil low pressure. Normally the culprit is a non OEM oil filter. They have a history of causing low oil pressure. I had it with a euro car parts filter. Changed to oem, no more oil light.

If changing the filter doesn't solve it then you need to look at the oil pump, ocv filter (could be blocked)

Low torque at high revs is also normal on an IS. This is down to the ACIS system (acoustic induction system) where it keeps a valve closed until 4000rpm to increase torque lower down the rev range. When the valve opens you feel a "boost" or "lift" but loose torque

Okay thanks!!

I haver never changed the filter in the gearbox but i just got it 4 weeks ago.. heh

I have now changed the oilfilter to an OEM one and it still dose it... so ocv it must be.. looking at it it looks impossible to get thw oil pan off without getting the entire brigde off first? Is that so or is it easy to do?

Hi the best way to check it is to take it to a garage and let them check it with a mechanical gauge my auto also makes a noise in first gear and it's only done 75000 miles I change my gearbox oil every 30000 miles