Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mileage

First post but I have a question, is the total mileage of the car stored anywhere apart from the clocks.

I have purchased a IS200 at the weekend from a dealer and the service is all stamped however after checking with the mot history it has some interesting gaps or differences.

Thanks

When you saying differences what exactly do you mean?mot history mileage and service history mileage will obviously differ slightly as one gives mileage when serviced and the other mileage when mot'd .However they both should give you a rough idea of the true mileage of your car.

When you saying differences what exactly do you mean?mot history mileage and service history mileage will obviously differ slightly as one gives mileage when serviced and the other mileage when mot'd .However they both should give you a rough idea of the true mileage of your car.

Well I looked at the service book and all seemed ok so did the deal, however stupid me did not cross reference the service book with mot's and other paperwork, see below for the differences and the fact it looks like the car was off the road for nearly 2 years yet only did a few miles, something is not adding up.

17/03/2006 37167 MOT

02/03/2007 51040 MOT

01/04/2007 49447 Service

21/05/2008 63211 Service

22/08/2008 71484 MOT

08/11/2008 68504 Cam Belt

14/04/2009 75443 Service

16/09/2009 82712 MOT

02/08/2011 83846 Service

02/08/2011 83846 MOT

01/05/2012 83876 Service

07/09/2012 83897 MOT

27/08/2013 92878 Service

27/08/2013 92878 MOT

11/04/2014 98300 Purchase miles

Only one that looks odd is this

02/03/2007 51040 MOT

01/04/2007 49447 Service

Service done after the MOT yet has less miles.

1593 miles difference in 30 days

Best way to check is through the DVLA long as you have the V5C number you can do it through their website.

• Like 1

There definitely is a problem with the service mileage/mot mileage for 2007and 2008 as you can see its definitely doesn't add up(cam belt change mileage).As a result it gives rise to suspicion and rightly so.The rest seems okay although a bit odd if I can use those words.

• Like 1

22/08/2008 71484 MOT

08/11/2008 68504 Cam Belt

14/04/2009 75443 Service

This looks a little odd too. MOT stations should be accurate. Services can be manually inputted and could be wrong. The cambelt should be accurate . . . I'd argue possibly human error instead of intentionally falsifying.

Probably the person that input the milage was blind . I bought a car for my lad the other day . The dealer was writing out a receipt for my lad and had his nose and eyes 2 inches from the paper , I couldn't believe it , he couldn't see for gods sake .

I wouldn't worry mate .

Thanks all for the advice, I respect mot centers can and do make mistakes but something just does not add up.

Is the mileage stored on the ecu or anywhere else.

Thanks all for the advice, I respect mot centers can and do make mistakes but something just does not add up.

No mate just the clocks , give the dealer a call I'm sure they will sort it , if your not happy just tell them to take it back or you'll tell trade and standards cos they should have checked it .

No mate just the clocks , give the dealer a call I'm sure they will sort it , if your not happy just tell them to take it back or you'll tell trade and standards cos they should have checked it .

It is Lexus history until 37k, then Mercedes (honest) to 75k then local garages, they have all confirmed the stamps and mileage's as correct at time of visit.

Dealer does not want to know, he says it is genuine and I would have to prove it is wrong, but I just have that feeling that with a nearly 2 year gap something has gone on.

Not really sure what to do as a next step, I like the car and did only pay just over £2k for it but I like my cars to be genuine and I doubt this car is.

The thing is mate if Lexus and Mercedes have serviced it and they have both said so then honestly I wouldn't worry.someone somewhere has put the wrong mileage in , prob mot centres .if it's got a full service history mate then don't worry about mot .

I would say it was fine, its not like the car has been majorly clocked, it just looks like lazy mot guys checking the odometer i have had this alot with all my vehicles

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links