Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Upgrade Is200 To Is250 Questions

Hi All,

I'm a happy owner of a lovely is200. I bought it 6 years ago as my first car, as it looks awesome and for that 6 years I was just changing oil, filers, brake pads, etc ... Car never fail and it have almost 200k on the clock. So it is not a surprise that my next car will be Lexus:)

I know already that the only option should be Automatic is250 se-l with Sat Nav and Mark Levinson.

But would like to ask you owners of this car what should I check while buying the car. Is there anything that breaks, and could be easy identified, etc ?

What is the maximum mileage I should look for?

How is the Petrol consumption compared to the is200?

Many thanks

Hi Whistler - I had an IS200 and loved the car until it was written off last year.

In my own opinion ...... I would at the drop of a hat revert from the 250 I have now to my old 200 (I find myself always looking now and then at whats out there, 200 wise) but in all honesty they are getting to be an old car. The "newest" one you can currently buy would be almost 10 years old.

Like you I had no issues with the 200 at all - looked after it well and it was a car I could easily work on and one I planned to keep for a while (had it for 2 years) Comparing these cars ... the 250 is a nice car with a lot of tech on it, a lot more than the 200. They both have the same driving experience, so much so you know you are in a car of class. I liked the fact the 200 has a sunroof - its hard to find a 250 with one. I prefer the sunroof to the air con.

Parts and running costs- 200 wins hands down and in a lot of the cases don't need a main dealer to do the work.

I have had a lot of problems with the 250 I have - not happy with it but am persevering with for the time being - not got a lot of confidence with it at the moment and find myself tip toeing around it waiting to see what will go wrong next.

I have not driven a 200 since owning my current 250 so my opinion may change if I done this but at the moment I would not buy another 250 ... and for all the problems I have had with this current one I don't think I would buy another Lexus as they don't seem to be the indestructible cars that they used to be.

I have had two IS250, one was an SE manual and the one now is fully loaded. Both have been near enough problem free the first one has rear brake caliper sticking (common) and this one has a flicker from the Xenon which was fixed FOC. Overall I have been pretty happy, I had a GS300 MK3 after my first IS and that was like driving a luxury jet, just floated on the road. I did deviate away from Lexus and look whats happened I'm back, I do think there a good brand, I know the above post has had some problems, fingers crossed for him problem free now, but I do think the majority of the 250's are solid.

Thanks guys for your replays, it makes me rethink my buy again. Like Dean said there is no brand at the moment which makes problem free cars at the moment. I heard Hyundai's are very solid at the moment but I don't like the look of them. I was also looking at BMW series 3 2.0 diesel (mostly for economical reason) but apparently it it the worst engine BMW ever made. Interior looks so poor comping to is250.

My is200 have almost 200k mileage and is 14 years old, I think is a time to give him a rest.

is200 Newbie, I hope you fix all your problems and will start to enjoy driving your lovely 250 again.

I've had my is200 for nearly 9 years now (the car is 14 years old now) the best car i have owned, it has never ever let me down apart from as soon as it saw a flake of snow !! a set of snow chains cured that lol. my next car had to be a is 250 auto se l mm......so off I went and bought a 2006 model with all the toys,picking it up tomorrow . is200 newbie what problems have you had ? , you've got me worried now .

allan

Had a is200 Sport Navigator for some years.

For me the 250 (SEL mm that I have) is just a great car on so many levels. The auto box is a joy, the V6 is so sweet and the comfort level is much improved. This thing shifts when you wellie it too! Much prefer these seats to those in the 200 and the centre arm rest is perfectly positioned. I think this car is better on fuel than my 200 was...and I'm doing the same trips to and fro.

It is bigger than the 200 and vision is not quite as good due the design (door height and less glass height), the front and rear pillars are quite intrusive but you soon adjust. The boot is pretty much the same with a somewhat restrictive 'mouth'.

Not a single complaint or problem with the car......in a word..... solid. Grease the slide pins on the brakes every 18 months and you should not get a problem. Just had all callipers done for £50 at my local indy.

My only gripe ( as with the 200), is that the rear seats don't fold flat...but I knew it when I bought it.

Go and try a few. You need to test drive some to see for yourself. Get the auto...you can drive it like a manual if you wish! In 4 years the manual will cost you nearly £2000 in road tax alone.

Allan

I have had allsorts wrong with the car - I guess this is the other side of the coin to having a good one. I don't think it was looked after before I purchased it but saying that it has a full dealer history so I cant get my head around why its so bad.

Have had it a year now - MOT is on Friday this week and I am really dreading it for what could be wrong that I have missed (it may fly through the MOT !?) - I just need a bit of confidence with it. Not enjoying it as much as the 200 I had.

I may come round after a few months in it if it behaves.

The thing is with these engines and the brand, they want the car to feel like it was new even with 100k on the clock. I have driven cars with 35k on the clock and they felt tired but my GS with plenty of mileage ran silky smooth. Thats also the benefit with the petrol it is a smooth engine, refined not noisy either. I hope is200 newbie its plain sailing for you now, all the niggles are gone and she'll put a smile on your face :)

Hi noo bie ,sorry to hear of all your troubles.....just unlucky I guess ,I'm surprised if you got full lex history with the car that it's been badly maintained , was it it with one dealer or more ? At least you seem to know what your doing so once it's sorted you should have a nice car, I take it the engine and gearbox have been ok ? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your mot Friday and hoping my 250 I'm picking up tomorrow is going to be as good as my is 200 has been over my 8 year ownership, all the best, Allan

aly-g, what is the millage you are going for? I seen one lovely white se-l, one owner and full lexus service history, but it have 100k already. Should I consider something like this if the price is good (£6500) or should I spend a bit more and get lower millage. What is the maximum millage you would go for?

Hi whistler , the one I'm going for has 84000 mls full history in mica red just to be different , I think 100 k is ok if the car is in good condition and been serviced properly, low miles is not always good, acids in the engine when a car does not get up to temperature can cause damage ie school runs of less than 5 mls is not very good, at least with high ish miles you know the car has been used for motorway work (you could not get very high miles any other roads ! ) my is200 has 96000 mls and runs sweet as a nut , uses not a drop of oil between services, different engine I know but serviced regularly modern engines can achieve big miles, good luck in your quest for a 250 , keep us posted,

allan

Allan

Things to look out for ...

Exhaust - definitely get it checked while the cars on a ramp - its a £2600 replacement only available from a dealer unless going down the road of stainless steel.

Brake calipers - get them checked - easiest way to do this is take it for a good run so they are hot - an indication of a seized caliper on the rear will be an alloy that's hotter than the other (pads binding) £350 per caliper from dealer although you can find these often refurbished for around £100 on the web. Calipers not working on the front would have a judder through the steering although this could be discs or joints. Calipers are a problem on the 250 as with the 200.

Coolant - check the colour and level - if low ask why.... The fluid for this is yet again a dealer part at around £70

Tyres - check the rotations are all correct - garage may mask wear by swapping them round - be aware that the rear tyres are bigger than the fronts.

noo bie

thanks for the advice, bit late though, cos i bought my car this afternoon !!! I'll have to keep my fingers crossed eh ! the car drives great, i'll have to have a real good look at it this weekend, hopefully all will be ok, got a fresh mot so looking good..... I drove my old is200 up to my son inlaws ( he's having it for what the dealer offered £600. ) I'm hoping the 250 is going to be as good, i'm missing it already !!!!

Allan

No Bee

I apologise this is slightly off topic.

Is it really £2600 for a new exhaust on the IS250?

I had heard comment that they were expensive but I have never heard of any exhaust system being that expensive.

Can you not get bespoke exhausts for them a lot cheaper?

Bobby

When the centre section went on mine I went to ATS thinking it would be around £300. There seems to be a stress point on it just after the last box before the join where it splits into the two back boxes.

Anyway - ATS advised me that it was a dealer part only after checking with their suppliers.

I had a quote from Lexus - fitted - for the centre section it was around £1700 and the back boxes were around £700 from what I can remember and it was on a 10 day lead time.

After a lot of hassle in them ordering the wrong part and with the possibility of having to wait another 10 days I booked mine in to have a stainless one made for the car which cost £400

So - Yes - its an expensive wear and tear part that at some point WILL need to be replaced - to be honest I fell of my seat when I had the cost - with a 10 day lead time the car really is un useable until its repaired as it loses so much power that its un driveable. I done a temporary repair on mine and drove it for a few weeks until it went for the fitting of the new exhaust. If you cant do this and don't have any other means of travel then you are goosed.

Noo bie

Good advice given yet again, I got my car now and the first thing I checked were the wheels cos they have been refurbed, sure enough as you said one of the rears has been put on the front ! Thanks again, Allan

I drove mine home from the garage when I first bought it with two rears on the front and two fronts on the rear ... didn't feel odd. I went over it a few days later and found they were wrong. Not something you would look for on a forecourt.

if that's the case with yours then give it a good going over at the weekend while its still within warranty (if it has one)

Caliper slide pins - grease them at the weekend - it will take an hour tops and a good check to see if there's trouble brewing. It will save you quite a bit of money just to check them as if left you may be faced with seized ones. It will be a good point to start a "schedule" of checking them - done at the weekend so I would check again in 6 months time around November.

If you can, check the exhaust - cant stress this enough - its quite easy to check it out if you have a set of ramps with the car reversed onto them. You are looking for black soot around any joints or on the pipes. Again, if theres any problems get it done under the warranty.

Hi noo bie, the wheel had just been fitted wrong, easy enough if your a lousy mechanic !! I had a quick look at the calipers...new pads all round..BUT looks like one of the rear discs looks knackered, so new pads and discs on the rear at least , hopefully the calipers will be ok, I'm too frightened to check the exhaust after you mentioned the price lol.......thanks for your Helpfull input , how did your MOT go? Good news I hope,

allan

Car passed its MOT on Friday with no advisories so I am very happy with that due to the amount of work I have done on it.

I have fitted the auto wing mirror closure this morning - took an hour and a half but well worth it.

• Like 1

Great new on the MOT because it does not sound like you have had a good run of luck with the car.

At the moment I am just grateful my IS250 is proving reliable because my wife's Mini Cooper is about to get set on fire if it does not buck up its ideas.

They are great little cars to drive but the build quality is shocking and if this is what you can expect from BMW then I am glad I never considered one of them.

Ever my wife you loves the car is talking about trading it in for a Mazda or Honda because she is sick of it breaking, creaking and rattling all the time.

Looking at the report that came with the MOT there is a small imbalance on the front brakes - guess they need looking at - possible slide pins again - 6 months since looking at them last.

Sister in law had a mini - nice small car but problem after problem. Electric windows kept opening when parked up for no reason whatsoever so she eventually got rid. BMW didn't want to know about the problems.

Service next, probably end of May, oil / filters and slide pins. Have a broken plastic engine cover also that I need to either fix or replace - the clip on the back of the cover (windscreen side) has broken and occasionally rattles.

Am impressed with the auto wing mirror closure. Works well and its a lot easier to see if you have not locked your car.

• 1 year later...

I am pretty sure the wiring will be different - there is a member on here that deals with them - he is from Australia and very helpful. Have a root through this forum and you will find a few threads

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links