Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Got My Old Lexus Back In A Very Odd Way

Last week I saw my old mkIII advertised on Gumtree Glasgow and had my mind set to get it back. I had emailed the guy several times last week and never got a reply. Then a few days ago the ad was removed from Gumtree and I thought that was the end of it, it is sold to someone else.

Until today....

We live quite rural at the bonnie banks of Loch Lomond and went to get some shopping in the nearest town and saw a Ls400 parked outside a pub - coming closer and being able to read the license plate.....I saw it was my old Lexus :msn-oh:. Someone was just getting out of it so I pulled up and asked him if he had just bought this car. He hadn't, he had owned it for 2 years. I said I wanted it back if it's still for sale.

He had a lunch appointment in the pub so we agreed to meet up again in an hour .....Long story short = I swapped him my '95 7 series for the Lexus and it's mine again :)

Coincidence or not.......?? seeing the guy lives about 30 miles away from that town.....

It has had a few 'upgrades' since I last owned it

- every bulb is LED now

- There is a proper metal Lexus bonnet mascot added

- The front grille and boot Lexus emblems light up :msn-oh:

- the underneath of the front doors have projector lights added ..when opening the door in the dark, LEXUS is projected on the ground

and a few other things I forgot

• Like 2

Hi, What a nice story, how lucky can one get... You must have a good feeling having the old girl back again

Whilst I am on....Where did the Lexus Lights come from, the ones that shine on the floor....Looks good I hope that she is everything that you wish....Bye for now...Roy.

The projector lights? I haven't a clue, but can find out for you if you wish

edit - eBay has these Lexus logo projector lights for about £17

I think that if i happened across either of my two past Ls400s i would probably be tempted to buy them ( in addition to what i have now ) provided they were in reasonably good nick !

Silly old sentimentalist me :outforcount:

Malc

I think someone fiddled with the bulb warning system anyway - it has had an HID conversion and it looks like that has been done by a 2 year old. The high beam bulbs are missing!!! yet no warning lights on the dash...

Ive used several of these canbus LED bulbs, and every time the old girl throws an error where these bulbs are fitted, even the old 400 did the same.

And the bulbs were not cheap crap ones that you would expect to be duff.

I have tried them on another car that can throw an error and they did not throw up an error when used, so i guess the lexus system is a little bit more nervous with LED bulbs.

Well took the old lady for an MOT this morning - Not even an advisory. The joy of owning a Lexus. The MOT tester even commented on how good she was for her age :)

Sorry, haven't updated my profile in a while.The one I have now does not have LPG.

And no, he didn't change any display bulbs (thank God) Seeing what a mess he made of all the other stuff he changed. I spent an entire day removing/tidying up wires etc!

• Like 1

I've got pair of these projector lights for an ls430 I had, I've never got round to putting them on the car though, I might put them on my ls400 though

And I'm still removing lights, wires etc etc some people just need to take up knitting instead of putting their hands on cars :tsktsk:

The LED repeaters fitted to the door mirrors were glued on with super glue!! Had to wet sand it all off and then polish to a shine again - same goes for the LED daytime running light strips fitted to the bottom of front bumper. :tsktsk:

The HID kit was no doubt fitted by a cross-eyed squirrel. The main beam bulbs were completely gone and all fittings at the back of the headlight to keep the bulbs in place etc...either broken or missing. :tsktsk:

I must say that I am extremely relieved that my temp. headlight fix got her through the MOT.

Also very pleased that Steve had a set of headlights in his shed - at a very, very good price :phone:

Slightly toned down the front a bit. replaced the amber bulbs in the lower side lights with white LEDs and removed the ugly looking strip LEDs that were super glued to the bottom of the bumper.

post-26221-0-63985800-1398455706_thumb.j

post-26221-0-71733600-1398455983_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

No comments on the hood ornament? I'm shocked ;)

Not sure what previous owner did, but the 'ls400' badge was removed - I found it broken in about 10 pieces in the boot. He replaced the badge with a dozen of white star stickers????

Stickers removed and found areas of primer exposed?? I don't want to know really ......

Anyways, I re-sprayed the boot lid yesterday and it looks brilliant again. Also managed to source a 'ls400' badge. removed the illuminated 'L' badge and replaced with original. Looking like new again thanks to autopaint St Helens. The paint they supplied was an exact match. Been using these guys for years and have always been excellent.

I'll be removing the front illuminated 'L' badge soon as well, so if anyone is interested in the 2 - you can have them for postage money.

Hi Rudy, I accept your challenge,"...comments on the hood ornament?". Well, with my avatar (pictured from my LS), I kind of had to, didn't I.

First of all, it looks a little lost on your bonnet, as it's somewhat set back from the chrome grill edge. But I know that happens to be the spot where the slightly concave shape of the ornament base best matches the bonnet curvature.

Secondly, as it repeats the already present "L" in the grill, I think it looks a little superfluous (if only amongst all those aftermarket badge-less grills, I could find one suitable for my car with adaptive cruise).

However, when viewed from within the cabin, I think that ornament, right on the bonnet's horizon, looks really fabulous! It does on my LS.

Also, for me, it kind of completes the Jap-Merc image.

For your interest, my hood ornament came with 3-M tape.

I'm sorry, assuming you'll also want to restore that part of your car to original condition, you might have a bit of a job removing all of the glue residue.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links