Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I managed to get good indicated mpg today, on a journey from Nottingham to Manchester (A50 > A500 > M6). This was at a constant 65mph (with drops down to 50 near Stoke, and roadworks near Manchester on the M6), aircon compressor off. I think it's pretty good for a 3.3 litre box on wheels. Fuel is 97 or 98 RON, outside temperature about 12C.

Perhaps others might post their results, with different driving styles, for comparison?

post-37955-0-43740400-1397935842_thumb.j

I could get 37 if I pushed it off a cliff. Never got anywhere near that on any journey. "A" roads taking it very careful I can get 33 but 31 is more likely. Usually it's more like 28 with mixed journeys. Short journeys round town where it's not getting properly warmed up 24-26.

• Like 1

Hmmm. . . i'm hoping to upgrade to an RX400h when the time comes to replace Zorro, but with these figures, i'm now not sure. I'd guess the GS would be a bit better as it's probably a little lighter ? . . .

The thing is, that's almost all motorway mpg. In and around town, the 400h does far better than many other cars, even small diesels, basically because the engine is only on when needed. I've sometimes driven for almost a mile at 30-40mph on the Battery, so you can imagine how little the engine is used in stop-start traffic.

Short journeys round town where it's not getting properly warmed up 24-26.

In and around town, the 400h does far better than many other cars, even small diesels, basically because the engine is only on when needed. I've sometimes driven for almost a mile at 30-40mph on the battery, so you can imagine how little the engine is used in stop-start traffic.

So how does that work then? :wacko:

Lol. Acting as Devils Advocate, I would guess, that if there is enough battery, around town should be good, but if the battery is no charged enough or you only do town driving, you need the engine to kick in and this means bad MPG.

The RX seriously needed to be a plug-in Hybrid earlier than all the rest!

Yes, I have actually been waiting for a test drive in one, although the interior is no where near as luxurious as a Lexus you cannot argue with the economy, real world around 90-100mpg with a full size 4x4.

In and around town, the 400h does far better than many other cars, even small diesels, basically because the engine is only on when needed. I've sometimes driven for almost a mile at 30-40mph on the battery, so you can imagine how little the engine is used in stop-start traffic.

Well engines don't tend to be very fuel efficient when they're cold. And people in cold cars often want the heating on, which means the engine will be on.

But driving around town with a hot engine, you'll see pretty good mpg on the 400h.

• Like 1

It was a tongue in cheek comment, but seriously you are correct........although it would be nice if Lexus had made the RX a Plug-in the same time as the Prius did, would make a huge difference to short twon journeys even from cold, like the new Mistu PHEV you can program the car to warm itself up in the morning, and if its plugged in it uses domestic energy, then when you drive away you have full Battery power for the full journey.

The system uses the electric motor less at first to get the petrol engine up to temperature. I do a few short journeys to take kids places that I would walk in 10-15 minutes if it was just myself. They're the ones that hammer the fuel consumption, especially when the weather is cold. Longer journeys around town, especially on the flat are the ones that are really good for fuel consumption. When I take one daughter to the stables the car will do most of the 3 mile return journey on electric.

Current tank is showing 30mpg at the moment. That's a mix of approx 200 miles of A road and motorway + 100 miles of town driving.

Also if you're just looking for fuel economy then a fast, heavy luxury SUV is never going to be the best option. You'd be better off with something smaller and/or using newer hybrid technology, eg the CT or new IS. The RX is way better on fuel consumption than some of the alternatives though, eg a v8 range rover sport.

• Like 3

Also if you're just looking for fuel economy then a fast, heavy luxury SUV is never going to be the best option. You'd be better off with something smaller and/or using newer hybrid technology, eg the CT or new IS. The RX is way better on fuel consumption than some of the alternatives though, eg a v8 range rover sport.

Yup, very true - not only is the RX a big, heavy 4x4, it's also a big, heavy, FAST, COMFORTABLE 4x4.

My previous Hyundai Santa Fe was a 2 litre diesel and did slightly better mpg BUT it was dull as ditchwater to drive and far more un-refined.

If you want fuel economy, go small hybrid...you cannae change the Laws of Physics, Jim... :shifty:

EDIT: sorry, just realised I pretty much repeated everything javadude said....sorry... :eerrrmm:

• Like 1

Thing is though if you do a lot of motorway work then an RX is the wrong car for economy, but if you live in or commute into a city then the hybrid comes into its own (although not with the congestion charge anymore, sadly).

Motorway or country work is best with a diesel 4x4, my ML will average slightly over 37mpg on 50 mile country jaunts and slightly more on longer motoway journeys, but around small towns like my own on very short trips it'll only give me around 28 mpg, but still a lovely big 4x4 limo though and dare I say carries more catchet than the Lexus.

Well unfortunately I drive a lot on the motorway so I probably chose the wrong car in that regard. But I have tinnitus and this is one of the quietest cars I've owned. It's also not a diesel and I therefore don't have to sit in a 4-pot tractor that spews soot everywhere. And it also won't have failing injectors or DPF things to worry about :)

I've come to the conclusion that all cars are basically money pits. It's your choice how much money you throw in there. Some of my colleagues suck through their teeth when I tell them the MPG, that's before they jump into their brand new diesel that cost twice as much to buy....

@box brownie.

If anything, I think these days Lexus carries more of a cachet than Mercedes because of its use of hybrid tech and unbeatable luxury, and of course they don't suffer from rot, or break down like Mercedes

I agree my Lexus has never broken down in all of its 11 years, then again neither have either of my Mercs (CLS & ML) although both of those were only a couple of years old.........no rust either! Yes, no rust on a MB. :)

Oh....both are V6 diesels with approx 270 bhp and 700 nm......not exactly a wheezing 4 pot. ;)

Both Mercs are very economical for the performance and size of vehicle (both Brabus), but Lexxy is our "lifeboat" and will remain with us for the foreseeable future, but I honestly cannot see myself upgrading to the latest RX due to the economics of the running costs.

But it is crazy difficult to find something similar which moves with such comfort and serenity, but I will keep looking.

My 400h has been averaging 29mpg since I bought it three months ago (350 miles is the most I have got from a tank before I decided I need to fill up!). Must admit, I have a very light foot and I expected a lot better than this, but since most of the driving is local journeys I guess it's acceptable, and it's a hell of a lot better than my previous car - Range Rover 4.4 V8 and 15 mpg!

But I never bought the RX for it's economy anyway, it's just such a great car and for a 4x4 has pretty good running costs too. ;)

But I never bought the RX for it's economy anyway, it's just such a great car and for a 4x4 has pretty good running costs too. ;)

I think thats a major point of the RX (or Lexus in general) is the running costs might not be the cheapest in fuel but they invariably are regarding reliability and repairs.

I agree my Lexus has never broken down in all of its 11 years, then again neither have either of my Mercs (CLS & ML) although both of those were only a couple of years old.........no rust either! Yes, no rust on a MB. :)

My last Mercedes was a W210 E300TD. Great car that drove well, but the rust....ye gods. It's the one reason I won't buy another Mercedes, not even one that's fully galvanised. It was a straight 6 that was actually lovely and smooth, but recently I found myself in someone's Volvo V60 4-cylinder diesel and it sounded like a bus, just horrible. Getting back into my old LS was like stepping from the third world into Bill Gate's conservatory.

Plus, I do thousands of miles cycling each year and increasingly find that diesels stink to high heaven. I hate the smell; the sooner diesel becomes obsolete, the better.

Plus, I do thousands of miles cycling each year and increasingly find that diesels stink to high heaven. I hate the smell; the sooner diesel becomes obsolete, the better.

Well if you didn't do so much cycling and use a diesel, you would help deplete the supplies sooner :lol:

My last Mercedes was a W210 E300TD. Great car that drove well, but the rust....ye gods. It's the one reason I won't buy another Mercedes, not even one that's fully galvanised.

It was a straight 6 that was actually lovely and smooth, but recently I found myself in someone's Volvo V60 4-cylinder diesel and it sounded like a bus, just horrible. Getting back into my old LS was like stepping from the third world into Bill Gate's conservatory.

I had a diesel V60 as a courtesy car when mine was crashed into last. I thought it was awful until I had a Nissan Patrol which was much noiser and awful in so many other ways. It made me appreciate the quiet smooth hybrid.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links