Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just watched the episode of Wheeler Dealers revamping the LS yet again. Thought I would check on the DVLA website to see if it was still around - it's not!. Apparently the 'date of liability' was 10/3/2011,so she's either been scrapped or is sitting in someone's front garden. The programme was first aired in January 2006,so she only lasted another five years. And by the way,apparently the HID lights that Ed fitted are illegal.

Just watched the episode of Wheeler Dealers revamping the LS yet again. Thought I would check on the DVLA website to see if it was still around - it's not!. Apparently the 'date of liability' was 10/3/2011,so she's either been scrapped or is sitting in someone's front garden. The programme was first aired in January 2006,so she only lasted another five years. And by the way,apparently the HID lights that Ed fitted are illegal.

Interesting. Were the HID lights illegal at the time of fitting or is this a recent development?

I've done a little bit of research on the fitting of HID lights,and it seems they are illegal 'in some countries' unless the car has self levelling headlights. Haven't got time to look more,but I would think they are probably OK here. I take it these are the lights that always blind me when they come up behind me at 4 in the morning on the way to work!. Bloody things should be illegal!. Can only assume that if your car passes the MOT with HID lights,then they must be legal.

Well I just got my old car back (see other thread) and the guy who owned it fitted an HID kit. Going for MOT Tuesday morning so we'll find out then :)

Well I just got my old car back (see other thread) and the guy who owned it fitted an HID kit. Going for MOT Tuesday morning so we'll find out then :)

I've got an MRI scan to go to Tuesday morning. Wanna swap?. I'm sure it'll be fine,be interesting to find out about these HID's though.

The production company were very interested in using my LS for the 'lovely example' but they said I was too far away so they got the black one as it was closer (so cost less in expenses)!

For them to pass with after fit HID with a lumen of 2000 or above the car must have either headlamp self leveling system or a headlamp washer system, these items will be checked on the mot, if either fail the test then obviously the car will fail. Also if the bulb is not seated correctly then it is also a fail.

"Aftermarket HIDs will still pass an MOT if they have a good beam pattern. Levelling and washers are NOT required, but if you do have them, they must work (section 1.7, page 1)"

Copy and pasted from VOSA website. Still a bit vague but there you go :)

Also my good mate jack, who's just qualified as an MOT tester a few months ago, says as long as the aftermarket HID's are not too blue and as long as the don't point in the direction of oncoming traffic, he'll pass it without levellers or washers.