Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Seen a tow bar for this car but only on eBay USA. Anyone fited a tow bar to this model car?

What I've seen is a very compact unit which basically is a plate attached to the back of the chassis. I'm only familiar with tow bars which have a main bar running backward to centre of spare wheel housing and cross bar which attach each side.

Just checking if the US one is the same fitting for a UK Car.?

Thanks

I tried to buy one years ago for my mk3 but I could not find a company to ship outside the USA, so I got a local company to make one based on the american design. They keeped telling me it would be cheaper to buy one, I did not tell them they were no longer for sale. Changed it to my mk4 a couple of years later but it would not fit my LS430. Once you use the correct steel you should not have a problem. 3 bolts hold it on to each rail. I toed a 4 wheel box trailer without a problem.

Waiting on the price for shipping and will let you know. Seems to have all the gubbins and a detachable which is nice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400528314020?item=400528314020&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Does it look right to you?

I had a GS300 fitted with a towbar and was going to remove it before selling it but changed my mind when I looked underneath to discover that in order to do so would require removal of the exhausts to gain access to the mounting bolts as there was a lot more metalwork involved than the one for the LS400 shown on your link.

There doesn't seem to be much metal to spread the load.

They do normally have a bracket running further back towards the front of the car.

I guess it would be OK for a small trailer but wouldn't like to hitch a caravan up to it.

Picture below is the GS300 towbar which looks more the part than the one in the US.

post-12144-0-25896700-1398162334_thumb.j

If the safe towing weight for the car is the prescribed safe towing weight designed for the hitch then it should do the job.It looks like it is designed to bolt face onto the anti-crash bar that is mounted to the chassis .This will entail removal of the rear bumper which is quite a lot of work and on a 93 will probably mean a lot of broken fastenings by the time it is removed.

I think the last one I saw designed for the LS400 in the UK was fastened to the end of the chassis on spreader bars and bolted to the bottom of the anti crash bar in the middle.

It might be a better option to get someone to make one up which will mean you won't have to remove the bumper.

Waiting on the price for shipping and will let you know. Seems to have all the gubbins and a detachable which is nice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400528314020?item=400528314020&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Does it look right to you?

I do not think that is the right hitch for the euro LS400 unless the rear bumper is differance from the mk3 and mk4. The one in Steves post looks something like the one I had made.

I've not had a good look underneath but there seems to be a lower removable panel to the bumper?

That photo looks more like the sort of tow bar I have on my Merc but I wouldn't ewant one that has a bar stretching forward to centre of the wheel space as I plan to put a Toroidal in there where the pipes exit..

MOT rules on Tow bars? Not even considered, so need bone up but if OK to use in the USA I cant imagine UK rules are more stringent. Don't plan on towing a Caravan only braked trailer.

I can't help you with that but my 1995 Mk III came with a tow bar when I got it in 2001. It was removed the second day I had the car! It is somewhere at the back of my garage. All I remember was it was bloody heavy! No doubt I'll find it by stubbing my toe on it when I tidy the garage later this year!

• Like 1

Watling do a towbar for the 1990-94 LS400 and for the 1994-97 LS400.

www.watling-towbars.co.uk

Click on Price Lists (sixth heading below the picture) and then on Towbars Pricelist - Jan 2013. This opens up a pdf and Lexus are on p22. Price is £264.

I have a Watling towbar on my 1997 LS400 (on when I bought the car) and can confirm it is a substantial item.

Hope this helps.

Colin

• Like 1

Thanks to all.

Ouch! to £264 in comparison to US item price. Not yet heard back as to shipping cost.

I've read that cars older then 1996 not covered by Tow bar rules or certainly may not have same criteria for MOT inspection.

Hoping that US compact unit will be as it says, "30" minutes installation. I have a brand new Witter Tow Bar I bought for a Safrane seven years ago sitting in the garage (car long gone) and I suppose it could be converted to the US style without too much work.

Prefer to buy ready made than have the hassle and then getting the Electrics seperately.

Got a mechanic changing the brake pads on the car on Thursday so hoping to get a good view underneath as to the detachable bumper centre part. Give me a chance to also check out routing of LPG pipework.

Yes, £264 is not cheap ...

Cars registered after 1 August 1998 (I.e. S reg onwards) require a type approved towbar to comply with EU Regulations (EC94/20). Those registered before that date do not. See the Watling Towbars Pricelist

As far as I am aware, there are no MOT requirements in respect of Towbars, but I stand to be corrected on this.

Cars registered after 1 August 1998 (I.e. S reg onwards) require a type approved towbar to comply with EU Regulations (EC94/20). Those registered before that date do not. See the Watling Towbars Pricelist

As far as I am aware, there are no MOT requirements in respect of Towbars, but I stand to be corrected on this.

I also have Watling tow bar fitted - it has the ball missing, so never used it.

Never had any MOT issues and my is post 1998.

Seems to have fittings that I cannot see with a stem bolted to bottom of the spare wheel holder.

Looks substantial, but the only thing I may ever use it for is to fit a bike rack, but as i have a boot fitting rack for bikes, may not bother

Stuart

Thing to bear in mind as you have not mentioned what you intend to tow, if say bigger than ie ;a two wheeled camper trailer , you will require additional transmission fluid cooler fitted between the gearbox and front airflow position otherwise you will probably boil your transmission fluid ,which is a definite no no.

Thanks Ambermarine.

I only need it for a trailer which is used rarely in France to take rubbish and plot waste to the dechetterie which frankly is less than a mile away from the peasants cottage we bought a few years back. I have taken both a box trailer and an open braked trailer over there fully loaded (and I mean fully loaded!) with the Merc 3.2 L(now to be sold) and it did no harm. six hundred mile door to door journey. Towing things is not my idea of fun but on those open roads its no bother.

As far as I can make out the towbar is checked during an MOT but basically consists of a visual inspection to ensure it is mounted securely and the mounting points are free from corrosion, in other words it is unlikely to suddenly fall off.

Regarding the UK price of £264.00 if you take the US price of £125.00 add another £60.00 for carriage then get hit with UK VAT you won't be far off the same price.

You may even be able to negociate a discount if they have stock on the shelves for a towbar with little demand :)

• 2 months later...

Well, the Americans never came back to me with a quote but it pays to keep one eye on eBay.

Just had delivered to me a brand new unfitted Watling tow bar and electrics pack as the sole bidder for starting price £39.99.

£12 carriage from a hundred miles away by TNT and I should be laughing. Well I would be, if I hadn't had my Insurance brokers phone to tell me that my premium for Buildings Insurance renewal has risen five fold over last years premium.

Although I live on the Seafront the house has stood one hundered and seventy years and never suffered flooding in '53 storm or earlier this year. Bummer! if I may be a little crude?

thats a good buy - i remember a couple of years ago a guy had a new grey coloured seat base for the mark 4 for the sale - it was on their for months without anybody buying it and he kept reducing - then i bought my mark 4 and noticed i couldnt get the black scuff marks off the seat base - I then bought it for a cheap price and made my lex perfect - sometimes you do pick up real bargains

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Got round to fitting this

Tow Bar (well my mechanic has!)

Question - Is there a Positive Pole point in the boot of the Car or does the main feedline have to go to the Battery up front togther with inline 25amp fuse?

I have a bypass7 relay to incorporate.

Thanks

• 4 months later...

Tow bar fitted last year but electric pack not yet fitted. Can anyone let me know how they wired their Tow Bar?

Did they run a live cable from the Battery or splice in to either the Antenna or CD player live?

I've seen this thread but it doesn't make clear this point.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/body/trailerhitch.html

Thanks

Tow bar fitted last year but electric pack not yet fitted. Can anyone let me know how they wired their Tow Bar?

Did they run a live cable from the battery or splice in to either the Antenna or CD player live?

I've seen this thread but it doesn't make clear this point.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/body/trailerhitch.html

Thanks

That's because that kit doesn't use the relay you want to fit.

I've fitted two bars using a relay ( 1 Toyota, 1 Honda) , and taken the live feed direct from the Battery, and, as you say, used an inline fuse.