Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Perils Of Buying A Used Car

Bought my LS600hl 3 weeks ago from a main Honda dealer, 1 previous owner, flsh, he traded it for a Honda Cr-v. 2009 registered with 75k miles. After 1k miles one of the rear shock absorbers has gone and the cost of replacement is a healthy £1300. Wear and tear item not covered by the Honda warranty I purchased for £249.

Buying a Lexus, same rules apply as for any other make. I should have checked everything more thoroughly.

Now; pass me that gun!!!!

Surely some comeback with the trader you bought it from. He can't just hide behind sold as seen as a private seller can. It is up to him to demonstrate that the fault did not exist when he sold you the car . I would check sale of goods act and see exactly what your rights are.

• Like 1

That's odd, my sister bought a Honda crv a month ago from Honda dealers that came in as a px, it's a 2004 model, 3 weeks in the clutch and turbo went, Honda replaced it free of charge, and it isn't a clutch wear and tear item?

Bought my LS600hl 3 weeks ago from a main Honda dealer, 1 previous owner, flsh, he traded it for a Honda Cr-v. 2009 registered with 75k miles. After 1k miles one of the rear shock absorbers has gone and the cost of replacement is a healthy £1300. Wear and tear item not covered by the Honda warranty I purchased for £249.

Buying a Lexus, same rules apply as for any other make. I should have checked everything more thoroughly.

Now; pass me that gun!!!!

The after market warranty is irrelevant. Your legal rights are stronger meaning the Dealer IS responsible under the Sale of Goods Act (no matter what they might claim) Failure after 1 month means it was clearly "not fit for purpose" Insist they pay for the repair otherwise you'll sue AND report them to Trading Standards for failing to meet their legal obligations

• Like 2

As above.

Under the SOGA it is up to the dealer to prove the car was fit for purpose at the time of sale not for you to prove it wasn't.

Quote from AA website.

"The dealer is liable for faults with the vehicle - that mean it was not of satisfactory quality - that were present at the time it was sold even though they may only become apparent later on."

I doubt the dealer would be able to prove the defect was NOT present when you bought the car.

You could also argue that with a car of this quality it is unacceptable to expect a shock absorber to fail after only 5 years.

• Like 2

Not a very smart Dealer to my mind, while the cost to you might be 1300, I am sure it would be much less for him to replace.

Now he has lost a good customer no matter what the outcome, as I can't see you happy to deal there again

Also other forum members thinking of buying who are smart, might private message you to make them aware of dealer details

I agree with the others THE DEALER IS RESPONSIBLE don't let him off the hook.

and don't let this spoil the pleasure of that lovely car. bilmac

• Like 1

Give the dealer a written notice giving him a chance to repair the fault or you would return the car for full refund . You are entitled to do this within six months of purchase from a dealer!. The dealer has to prove the fault was not present at the time of sale! If he doesn't see the folly of his actions then sue in the small claims track of courts ....you will win without much trouble.

Good luck

Honest John ( of Daily Telegraph ) has plenty of advice on this topic.....

Shiner

• Like 1

Parts prices are going stupid, how can it possibly cost a figure like that to replace a shock absorber?

It's another rip off, it can't cost more than £150 at the most to manufacture.

If it was into four figures it shoud NEVER EVER FAIL!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. The situation at the moment as follows;

Emailed Lexus HQ asking if they regard a shock absorber failing at 75k is deemed to be 'wear and tear'

They replied that at 75k Lexus ''do'' regard the failure as 'wear and tear'. Obviously my previous 4 LS's, all covering well over 75k and not requiring 1 shock absorber between them must be really good luck on my part.

So that was one debating point gone. Probably wont go down the warranty road now.

Have emailed the Honda dealer, Thursday eve, explaining the situation, so far, Sat eve, no response.Shall wait 'til Monday, then phone. I'll keep you posted.

Royt. The actual part costs £800. Guildford reckoned 2.5 hours labour @ £140 (£350)= £1150 + vat.

The rear seats have to come out, that seems a big enough job on its own.

Such a shame this really, my 460 which I traded in was an immaculate car which I cherished. Already I'm beginning to doubt the wisdom of changing and I'm really not loving this car as I should. My 460 will be going through the Measham Auctions very soon. Somebody's going to get a cracking car for very little money.

Graham.

Graham

When is the auction... I am interested in your 460.....have been for a long time but haven't found one that I can afford!

Perhaps you could send me a PM with some advice...unless of course you want to buy it back....

You have the right to return your car for full refund unless your dealer fixes the problem...

Shiner

• Like 1

Even a 2nd hand car with 75k MUST be fit for purpose when sold to another consumer The dealer IS liable and its up to them to argue with Lexus. If that fails then the cost fall on them. Also did you finance the purchase using HP? If so its them who are liable in law as THEY are the supplier AND they'll use their clout to ensure the dealer does the right thing

• Like 1

Hi Jon, Lexus consider a 75k shock absorber which fails is due to 'wear and tear' so the dealer wont have any luck there.

I Bought the car more or less 50/50 with p/x my 460 and the rest paid with debit card.

I'll see what the dealer says Monday.

Hi Jon, Lexus consider a 75k shock absorber which fails is due to 'wear and tear' so the dealer wont have any luck there.

I Bought the car more or less 50/50 with p/x my 460 and the rest paid with debit card.

I'll see what the dealer says Monday.

Graham, while I do believe you should speak with dealership, remember to straight away, use email confirming conversation,

this way, you have a record.

Also deal with the senior person at the dealership. the boss has more incentive to resolve issues

• Like 1

If your debit card was Visa , you have a chance ...Visa offer a charge back facility unlike MasterCard debit cards....but the unfortunately the debit cards are not covered by the credit card legislation.... Talk to your bank and see what they say....but really you should just get the dealer to fix the problem or return the car ...

Shiner

• Like 1

At least try to negotiate a deal with them 3 weeks is nothing, was it MOT'd prior to you picking it up under the SOGA the fault is deemed to be there at point of sale , sod the wear and tear attitude, it failed, broke went wrong, it was defective.

Personally I would argue the toss with honda.

• Like 2

Spoke with the dealer today. Very helpful, very sorry, they will put the matter right with a claim under their warranty, not the independent warranty I purchased.

Talking to Lexus Guildford tomorrow, they will send a report to the Honda dealer, and I'll book the car in for repair.

Never felt so good since the last winner I backed (when the Old King was alive).

Many thanks for all your replies Gents. Graham.

• Like 1

Spoke with the dealer today. Very helpful, very sorry, they will put the matter right with a claim under their warranty, not the independent warranty I purchased.

Talking to Lexus Guildford tomorrow, they will send a report to the Honda dealer, and I'll book the car in for repair.

Never felt so good since the last winner I backed (when the Old King was alive).

Many thanks for all your replies Gents. Graham.

Happy for you Graham, now enjoy the car and take care of it, you never know, I might own it someday, bilmac

Bad luck and the old story that one can buy an older car that when new was expensive for less but the parts are still as expensive as when new.... I've had few repairs on my LS400 but they've all been expensive (i.e.: replace starter motor = £600).…

Well, I had an interesting experience there: the RAC guy came and he decided to try and fiddle with the starter motor rather than just take my car in. He spent over 30 minutes and then had to admit, to his embarrassment, that he couldn't even find the starter motor! So no doubts about taking the car to Lexus and it's been fine since so no doubts since either (unfortunately I'm not a d.i.y. person)

Ah right, well I have a local indy guy who's GREAT........... he charges me £30 an hour and cost price for parts ............. no vat, his t/o is below the threshold !

Lucky or what !! :hehe:

( not had to do the starter motor yet tho' thank heavens. )

Malc

Good result with the dealer then, if you are fair with them they generally respond positively,last thing they want is poor press reports and an unhappy customer.

The job at trade will probably cost less than half the retail amount quoted.

While it is at Lexus ask them to give the whole car a good going over so if there are other potential problems you can get these looked into at the same time.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links