Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Space Saver Tyre

glyno

I have a 17" Lexus fit spacesaver wheel free to collect if you are interested, does have a never used tyre on it but will need replacing as has splits/cracks due to aging.

Tyre size is T155/70/D17.

post-12144-0-20600000-1398617075_thumb.j

alloy wheel bolts are longer and when you use a steel rim the will protrude further into the hub and may foul on the internal parts,

i am sure the aygo my partner owned had a seperate set of bolts for the spare wheel ,she had alloys as std and a steel spare.

The 2014 ct I have has a standard space saver but so far as I'm aware does not have separate bolts in the wheel well perhaps it's designed to accept alloy suitable bolts

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

alloy wheel bolts are longer and when you use a steel rim the will protrude further into the hub and may foul on the internal parts,

i am sure the aygo my partner owned had a seperate set of bolts for the spare wheel ,she had alloys as std and a steel spare.

CT 200s don't use bolts. They use nuts on studs. The alloy wheel nuts fit the steel space saver. No need for any specials to be purchased.

hi is it possible to buy a space saver tyre for my ct200h and what would the cost be thanks glyno

Toyota prius 2004-2010 all had the right size space saver which fits the CT wheel stud pitch circle diameter 5x100mm, the centre bore 54.1mm and the offset 45mm. According to some wheel data I have seen, it seems that toyota changed the spec on some of the prius wheels to 114.3 pitch circle diameter some time in late 2010; maybe this was as a result of the prius plus( which is a bigger capacity machine) being introduced. Also, some of the avensis models 1998-2008 had the same size wheels. There should be lots of scope for picking up a spare space saver on e bay or from a breaker.

Just bought a spare space saver wheel from eBay £120. It fits on fine with the original bolts. post-49408-139905024553_thumb.jpg

If you take out the under boot storage tray you can fit it in the usual place.

post-49408-139905030808_thumb.jpg

I used a new bolt and piece of wood to secure it.

Then put some rugs to stop it rattling and put the jack and goo on top.

post-49408-139905040955_thumb.jpg

Then another rag on top.

post-49408-139905044258_thumb.jpg

Finally put the boot floor piece back in. This is not quite level.

post-49408-139905050397_thumb.jpg

But with the boot protector in place you would not notice.

post-49408-139905054127_thumb.jpg

So for £120 and sacrificing the under boot storage I have peace of mind and don't have to use goo to fix a small puncture.

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

So the question now is; as the original CT does not have a spare wheel because the extra weight takes the CO 2 over the magic100. When I have an MOT will it fail and will I have to pay car tax? Would this be classed as a modification to tell my insurer or is the spare wheel luggage?

Thanks

Paul

So the question now is; as the original CT does not have a spare wheel because the extra weight takes the CO 2 over the magic100. When I have an MOT will it fail and will I have to pay car tax? Would this be classed as a modification to tell my insurer or is the spare wheel luggage?

Thanks

Paul

Loading your car with eqipment/people/shoppimg doesn't void the insurance or fail the MOT. If the insurance company wish to split hairs, take out the bolt which secures the spare wheel in the boot; it then ceases to be an accessory and becomes luggage. How would they stand if you were to be carrying some spare wheels which were to be used for your friends car and happened to be of a size which wasn't originally specified for your own car? Insurers like to scare people with threats of voiding policies.

You wont pay road tax on exceeding CO2 levels, MOT stations dont decide who does and who doesnt pay road tax: they have insuffucuent equipment, time or authority to conduct such tests. Their tests for emissions are to eliminate the old smokers.

• 9 months later...

I just fitted a space saver to mine. Cost £120 from dealer ( knocked them down from £152 ).

I removed deep storage tray and Repair kit. Fitted wheel with a clamp I got from work. I took jack, handle & wheel brace out of kit, wrapped them in cloth and wedged them around spare wheel. I also added some spacers to raise load floor carpet so it would lock into scuff plate to prevent rattles.

I've driven over a few bumps in road and no rattles to note. If it starts to annoy me I will buy tool kit & foam over a couple of months and do it properly. At least I have warm feeling I now have a spare & won't get ripped off when stranded.

Well worth £120 if it doesn't rattle.

• 4 weeks later...

Update to my last post.......

I have now purchased the following:-

Spare wheel £120

Spare wheel bolt £5.85

Under boot tray £48

Trunk carpet £ 60 ( thinner when spare is fitted with tray )

So for just over £230 I have virtually completely converted from repair kit to spare. I have spread the cost over 4/5 months so not much of a shock buying all at once.

I will post some images once complete in next week or so. Will look factory fitted and hopefully will help me sell when time comes.

I just cannot get my head around these so-called "spacesaver" spare wheels. There should be a proper full size spare not a midget sized thing which could cause major problems.

The space saver is only intended as a "get you home". It's speed and distance restricted and to my mind not unreasonably. In 35 years of driving i think I've only had to resort to a spare 3 times so I can agree it's just not worth hauling the weight and commiting the space to a full size wheel. I'm not expecting everyone to agree but just offering the counter view.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

So if you get a puncture and have to put on the spare whilst carrying passengers and a boot of luggage, what would you do with the wheel with the punctured tyre? No space in the boot, so maybe on a rear seat passengers knee! I would not have thought that the weight difference would be an issue for motorists, just for manufacturers to be able to "claim" an extra 1 mpg or lower emissions. I could possibly understand their use IF the manufacturers ensured that the spare wheel housing was of a size adequate for the full size wheel to fit into.

Will a punctured full tyre fit in the space that the space saver came from?

Alternatively you could leave one of the kids / mother in law at the side of the road and put the tyre on their seat :-)

i have never understood why a manufacturer makes a space saver spare,as they will have extra manufacturing costs for the pressing and welding of the wheel and then a different tyre size to go on the wheel when surely it would be cheaper to use a wheel & tyre that they currently use.

They pay for themselves due to weight saving and nowadays offering as cost option.

They also save on processing costs at build plant due only having 1 part to fit with repair kit.

A less obvious advantage of a space saver is it allows for wheels to be more easily rotated on a routine basis. Whilst routinely rotating wheels it is easy to spot evidence of brake caliper corrosion and binding and thus maintaining a better and safer vehicle. I still prefer to have 5 full sized, full spec wheels. It is much simpler to change a full size with the spare and then take the spare to be repaired/retyred. This is made almost impossible by manufacturers with some of them making the front wheels and rear wheels to a different design on some models ( mercedes).

There will always be the argument that weight is "saved". Some weight could be "saved" by simply adopting the BMW weight saving approach of having a 9 litre fuel tank on their i3 range extender after all, there is a fuel station within a few miles of most people in UK. I suggest that weight saving is a salesmen/ manufacturers excuse/attempted hoodwink for penny pinching. I am 6'2" and weigh 100kg, my wife is 5'6" and weighs 35kg less than me and yet when I drive the car I get 10 to 20% better fuel consumption;so obviously weight saving has only a minimal effect on efficiency. Also, as far as I know, the official fuel consumption figures which all of the governments departments rely on do not take vehicle weight into account.

Mpg tests are carried out using a spec of vehicle which will give best figures. These are normally low spec models ( which have to be saleable specs. ) which are usually less spare wheel, basic audio, no sunroof etc etc. Therefore, weight is a high consideration.

Tends to suggest that the only reason for these silly wheels is to save money and optimize profitability. The "mpg figures" are not normally accurate for everyday motoring and are not achieved on the road anyway.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links