Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ivic Android/iphone Integration

Have anybody here installed one of the iVIC products from VAIS technology? I've seen some demonstrations and reviews on youtube, and it looks like a really good way to update your navigation and entertainment system without doing any irreversible alterations to the car. The problem is, it's an american product, and all the demos I've seen have been on US Lexus. I have no reason to believe that is should not work on an UK LS460, but you never know. There are some differences?

I'm on the verge of ordering this product, but it would be good to know if anyone here have actually tried it.

Here's a few links for those interested:

http://www.vaistech.com/site/iVIC-droid.php

You're probably right, Hondaman. I think I will order it when it's back in stock in June. Just getting google maps and navigation on the screen is worth the money.

The reason I'm a bit hesitant is that equipment levels and optional extras might be slightly different in US versions, and this could affect the functionality of the kit. For example, if you do not have the self park option, your rear view camera will not work after the install (for LS460/LS600). I've also noticed that the four buttons under the cd player to select audio mode looks different in US versions. I've got TA - FM - AM - DISC, while the guy in the LS600 in the youtube demo has got AM/SAT - FM - DISC/AUX - SCAN. I don't even have an aux-input, but video component inputs for the rear screen instead.

Customer service at vaistech could not help me much, but they said they had successfully installed it in a German LS600... I guess I won't know for sure until I try it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ordered one last week and as I'm sat typing this it's 20mls away from arriving at my door today :) not long had UPS uk phone me to say parcels on route and will be delivered today.... :) woohoo all in all including postage etc came to £270 ... Will get it fitted as soon as and post a review up on it

Ohhhhhhh look what nice delivery man just handed over to me...... But not after I had to pay a extra £30:32 for import costs :( ..... Now just need the balls to take dash apart to get it fitted into back of stereo and Emv screen :) ..... I know how to do it just freaking out that I mark/scuff the leather dash :( lol ... Away up town to get the 2 extra adapter cables I need.... It'll be a apple 5s I'm connecting to it :)

post-11502-0-58570500-1402996613_thumb.j

No pics on the install. Just this I photo of everything hanging lose lol... I had better things to do with my time lol scratching my head and wondering what goes wer and how to dismantle dash ..... End result it fitted and was quite easy to do.... But I did phone the company in America for a walk thru on how to use it lol doe ball I am.... Couldn't find my contacts or the weather app etc and thought it hadn't loaded up right ...it had I just didn't peruse the menu enough <<<<------ this mans a idiot ;) lol...... Anyway it's up n running and I'm liking it :) unfortunatly I'm away early to work and not back for a week so can't post a vid up of it working or the secret button that puts you over to your contacts weather google maps etc etc I'm saying secret coz it doesn't make me feel so bad about phoning the states up at 23:00 uk time lol to ask for helppost-11502-0-49362600-1403049637_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

mr2lad: You must have ordered the Iphone version. The Android version is just back in stock now. Encouraged by your positive experience I will order it. One question: where did you physically put the box, and where did you feed through the cable? Like you, I'm worried about marks on the interior trims, and I don't want to drill holes for cables.

I'm currently having problems with it.... And after lengthy. Discussions with chap in America have decided to strip it out..... And now have a expensive paper weight..... vaistech kept telling me unit was ok and it was my hdmi cable...well after 6 top of range cables couple costing 50-60quid each vaistech not willing to sort this problem out.... So I'd say DONT BUY THIS PIECE OF dog do do.... Waste of money

Well, they are sold out again anyway. They emailed to tell me it was back in stock, but by the time I replied it was sold out. That gives me a couple of months to think about it... I'm still tempted to take a chance. Do you think you were just unlucky and got a dodgy unit, or could it be something about UK vs US models? Have you tried with a different phone?

In my household we have 5 iPhones rangingi from 4,4s 5 and 5s have tried them all even bought a new apple a/v connection at £40 (2 in total now £80) 6 hdmi cables all double shielded minimum recommendation or triple shielded cost around £170 now ( sorted now if anyone in house needs a hdmi cable lol... Even reset unit had dash apart again 4 x's to double double chech all connection and still have problems...... Vaistech not forth coming with replacement unit so NO I can't recommend it...... And can only say to you purchase at your own peril

It's a shame, I really like the concept. What is the problem exactly? Did it just stop working, cause I got the impression from your earlier post that you had it up and running.

Yes works for 10-15mins initially then loses connection signal and get blank or blue screen ..... This has happened from day one and vias tech not believing it's a unit problem hence I have bought all new cables ... And relocated unit and had dash apart so many times to no avail...... Screen goes fuzzy then blank or blue screen.... Waste of flipping money... Told them last night I shall not be endorsing this product to anyone on this site as they've now seemingly wiped their hands over this issue......

• 3 months later...

I ended up getting one despite mr2lad's unfortunate experience with the product and customer service. I could not really find any alternatives. It took a while as it has been out of stock for a long time. In the meantime they have released a new version, and this is the one I got (iVIC-5DR for android phones). I had some problems initially with a faulty mhl adaptor, but now it seems to work very well. I use a Samsung galaxy s4, and I think its important to get the original Samsung mhl adaptor. The two main reasons why I wanted this product are to be able to use google maps and play media contents from my phone (the next/previous track buttons on the steering wheel works). In addition I can also watch and listen to youtube/bbc iPlayer/netflix and anything else you might watch on your phone.

The way I understand it, it basically hacks into the dvd changer input, so in disc mode, your phone will show up when you press the audio button. You can still use the dvd/cd changer by pressing a few buttons, but obviously not at the same time as you use the phone interface. You can also use the original satnav while listening to media from the phone. I don't think you can listen to radio while you use it, cause you have to be in disc mode. There are plenty of radio apps available, though, so you won't really need the original radio anymore (my car does not even have DAB). In a car with such a good sound system, it is really nice to be able to play content from your phone (it is actually shocking that the car does not come with any options to play external devices as standard).

So far so good (I have only used it for a couple of hours), but if I experience any problems I will let you know.

Yeah, I will. I have not used it for a few days, as I have been away. It is obviously a risk to take, cause if you get a dodgy unit the customer service seems to be non existent (at least for us in the UK). I had problems initially with the hdmi connection falling out, and I thought I would end up in the same situation as mr2lad. But it turned out to be the mhl adaptor (the iVic unit has a hdmi input, so you need a mhl to hdmi adaptor for most phones). I went back to the samsung shop and got a replacement, and it has worked fine ever since (for about one hour that is). There is a youtube video by a guy who has installed it in his IS, and he demonstrates how you can use swipes on the touchscreen. I have not been able to do that. It does react to swipes, but it is totally un-predictable.

Anyway, I will post an update in a week or so to let you know if it is still working.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've had the iVIC for a few weeks now, and it still works as it should. I have not experienced any problems with the hdmi connection. I love having access to all the apps from the phone, mainly maps/navigation and music/internet radio. At the same time I have found a new respect for the layout of the factory setup. Having your phone on the screen can be really distracting, and not as user friendly as the original interface. Also, the clarity of the factory maps and navigation is actually much better than google maps (sometimes less is more). Obviously, google maps will be more up to date, though.

I have tried to set up my phone with a minimalistic layout to make it easy to use on the road. The voice command systems on the phone also come in handy and is much more intelligent than the Lexus voice activation system. I have attached a few pics. Notice the "Home", "Back", "Settings" and arrow buttons on the right. You can remove them, but I find them really helpful. Swiping the screen to scroll is almost impossible so I use the arrow buttons instead.

There is one thing which disappointed me a bit. I still have to use the factory hands free for phone calls. This is not really an issue with the iVIC, as you would have the same problem if you connect the phone to a tv. All sound generally goes to the external sound system, but you when you make calls it comes through the phone. I have tried every setting I can think off, but I can't get phone calls to work on external speakers, so I just use the factory hands free (not really a big deal). Maybe this is just a problem with my phone (galaxy s4). If anyone knows how to use phone calls over hdmi, please let me know.

post-50201-0-67687600-1418133418_thumb.j

post-50201-0-31030800-1418133445_thumb.j

post-50201-0-92431500-1418133495_thumb.j

post-50201-0-63992800-1418133515_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, it still works. I have not experienced a single glitch as far as the hdmi connection is concerned. I have a few minor complaints, but this is more limitations of the concept itself (all it does is mirror your phone screen on the factory screen, provide touch screen feedback and play music on the factory sound system). This might seem a bit negative, but the positives should be obvious. All in all I am very happy with the system:

-The initial warning screen that pops up when you start the car is even more annoying than the warning screen that comes with the lexus sat-nav (where you have to press 'I agree'). It does not seem to be any way to remove it other than waiting for what seems like ages (probably only 5 sec or so). I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that this screen can be removed, but I have only browsed through the instructions quickly. The most annoying thing is when you start the car and immediately engage reverse. The reversing camera pops up, but after a couple of seconds this warning screen takes over. In that case I don't know how to get back to the rear view camera without changing from reverse to park to reverse again.

-You still have to use the factory hands free for phone calls. This means that during phone calls the factory phone screen takes over. You can press 'Audio' to go back to the phone mirror screen, but during calls, the touch screen does not work properly. I have not really looked into this carefully. The touch screen feedback is done via Bluetooth, so maybe there are some bandwidth problems? Could also be phone dependant. If you do not connect to the factory hands free, the call will be on the phone (sound and mic). I find this strange, since all the other apps will play sound through hdmi on the cars audio system. This is a feature of the phone, not the iVic. You get the same problem if you connect the phone to a TV and try to call or use Skype.

-When the parking sensors activate, the park assist screen will take over (as it should). But by default it will return to the factory sat-nav screen, not the phone screen. So you have to press 'Audio' to get back to the phone screen. Maybe there is a way to set 'Audio' as the default screen?

-It can sometimes be difficult to navigate within apps as the screen does not support gestures like swipes and pinches (zoom). Swipes kind of works, but not properly like on your phone. Simple tasks like unlocking your screen or zooming into maps could be difficult. I wish google maps had zoom in/out buttons. The answer might be to mount your phone somewhere accessible so you can use it as a sort of macbook style track pad. At the moment I just keep in in the storage compartment under the armrest or in the cup holders. It is probably also a good idea to mount the phone for navigation purposes to set the compass directions.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

A quick update on the iVic... It still works well with my Galaxy S4, but I've heard that new phones and Android versions no longer support mhl (screen mirroring via hdmi). The solution is to use wireless screen mirroring. Devices that are confirmed to work are Chromecast and PTV3000 from Netcast. The idea is that you connect the Chromecast into the iVic box, and then connect your phone completely wireless. I can see a few advantages with this: no need for flaky mhl adaptors, and no cluttering from cables. Charging the phone via the mhl adaptor can not always keep up with the massive power consumption screen mirroring needs, so with wireless you're also free to use a normal charger. Having a Chromecast in your car is slightly ridiculous, though...