Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just recently drove back from Dusseldorf in Germany where I was visiting my eldest boy and filled up again in Dover. The LS made it back on one tankful of gas and averaged 24.5 mpg. This was mostly at 80 mph (or slightly more occasionally), on the motorways through Germany, Holland, Belgium and France. I thought this was good going from a 4 litre V8 on lpg and, of course, it was a very relaxing drive. No tiredness or bum ache. Marvellous.

• Like 2

That's a good average.

Mine usually needs a fill up when I have done about 200 miles, so I think the average would be about 20 mpg. But most of that tends to be local rather than motorway driving. Given the price of lpg, I am more than happy with 20 mpg.

Colin, I usually get the same mpg as you do on local routes, but after driving a lot of motorway miles I was curious to see what my consumption would be. By the way, in Belgium where I filled up on the way to Germany, the price of autogas there was 59.9 Cents per litre. That's the equivalent of 49p a litre here!! We are really getting ripped-off big time in the U.K. I pay between 71.9 and 73.9 around my way.

Colin, I usually get the same mpg as you do on local routes, but after driving a lot of motorway miles I was curious to see what my consumption would be. By the way, in Belgium where I filled up on the way to Germany, the price of autogas there was 59.9 Cents per litre. That's the equivalent of 49p a litre here!! We are really getting ripped-off big time in the U.K. I pay between 71.9 and 73.9 around my way.

I am paying 65p Mortimer Station Berkshire. Mike

I get 25-26 mpg local driving in my ls400, and motorway I get 35-38mpg, I've hit 41mpg once on the motorway, but that's me driving at 70mph

At my local lpg station, it is usually 72.9.

However, it is a BP station which has a loyalty scheme. You have a card which is stamped when you fill up (provided you buy at least 30 litres) and the next fill up is 1p a litre cheaper. They then stamp the card again and the next fill up is 2p a litre cheaper. This goes on reducing by an extra 1p a litre for each subsequent fill up until you get the last stamp on the card (10 stamps in total). So the last fill up will have 9p a litre knocked off and will be 63.9 (assuming the price remains the same at 72.9), which is a significant saving. You then get another card and start again.

I thought this was just a loyalty scheme for this particular lpg station but it seems the card can be used at other BP stations which sell lpg. I happened to stop at another BP station, was asked if I had a loyalty card and was able to use the one I had for the fill up there.

Sounds like your car is not tuned up properly Messi

I had this problem with mine when it was first done

If the car runs too weak it dumps more fuel in resulting in the computer saying that it is running too rich and shows awful MPG and visa-versa

If it is tuned spot on then the computer should read exactly the same on petrol and LPG

The best my computer showed was filling up at the German-Polish border on LPG the car was fully laden with a boot full and 3 people with air-con lights and hot-bots on and I got it to show 38mpg over an average of 50 miles at 55mph

But over that run it was 2500 miles most of which was done at speeds of over 85mph and in the same conditions in the middle of winter and my car averaged 20mpg. So I did 2500 miles for roughly £350

It showed 24 on the computer but I work MPG out from full to empty on how many litres my car takes

I think if Messi did this he would find out that his car is probably doing between 16-22mpg around town and 20-26mpg on the motorway

Was that the Texaco garage on the motorway !!!! They want you to estimate how much fuel you need and pre-pay first.

I come straight off the boat at Dunkerque and put my foot down, about 10 miles down the road the LPG bleeped and I ended up driving the rest of the journey to that fuel station on petrol fumes left over from England.

That is the most economically I have ever driven. Literally, wipers on slow, cruise control set at 50mph, no radio, no heaters. It was like the Apollo 13 mission

• Like 1

I was just amazed at the price of lpg in Belgium. 49p a litre!! (59.9Cents). I couldn't believe the difference in price compared to what we pay here. We definitely live in Rip-off Britain.

As you can see from the trip I had just reset it but take a look at these photos

And no, the average wasn't set going downhill !!!

WP_000024_zps85b35ed2.jpg

WP_000023_zpsdc9af140.jpg

WP_000029_zpsa39f87d0.jpg

It went upto 35 at one point but stayed roughly around that point

I like it when my car runs well !!!

Why is that red light on next where it says average? Mine only comes on if I've left the sunroof open and Ive switched my car off just to warn me, or i a door is open etc

Last time I had that red light on was on a 1999 ls400 and there was something wrong with the car, the satnav kept flickering and Battery light would come on aswell, out of no where it came on saying check vsc, so my brother put his computer on it and turned out the alternator was bad, but he told me that even before he put the computer onto it, a new alternator sorted that problem out

Yup when I go though the settings it says caution low fuel, but I don't care, I have a full tank of gas !!!

Or it could be the rear brake wear indicator, its been playing up recently eventhough my pads are new !!!

• 3 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links