Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My system is also all original and I took it once 7 years ago for a gas check and it was fine.

Since them it has continued to blow ice cold air when required.

The one thing I do is leave it on all the time, seems to make no noticable difference to the fuel consumption, maybe this is the key to long trouble free service life.

I have a mk 4 and had it regassed a week or so ago. It's not as cold as I would like. Can anyone tell me how much refrigerant the system should hold. The guy at ATS seemed unsure between around 750ml and 1000 ml. He went for the lower amount, being afraid to put too much pressure into the system. Can anyone clarify how much should go in there?

My system is also all original and I took it once 7 years ago for a gas check and it was fine.

Since them it has continued to blow ice cold air when required.

The one thing I do is leave it on all the time, seems to make no noticable difference to the fuel consumption, maybe this is the key to long trouble free service life.

I think that's right, I read somewhere it's a good idea to switch it on now and then, even in the winter- when it's great at clearing condensation from the windows

I have a mk 4 and had it regassed a week or so ago. It's not as cold as I would like. Can anyone tell me how much refrigerant the system should hold. The guy at ATS seemed unsure between around 750ml and 1000 ml. He went for the lower amount, being afraid to put too much pressure into the system. Can anyone clarify how much should go in there?

What was the vent temperature before and after?

Rear AC or not may be the difference, did the ATS guy also not know how much PAG oil to put in either?

According to the link below the 1998-2000 LS400 should take between 670-780ml of R134. ( converted from US ounces in the table)

So 750ml is midway.

Earlier models appear to require more so this may be where the confusion set in, 1992-1994 models required 1.0 Ltr.

http://techchoiceparts.com/refrigerant-and-oil-capacities/lexus

Thanks Steve

The oil was not discussed but is included with ATS. There was some doubt about whether rear aircon was fitted, so I think you're right about that. Going for a run tomorrow, will check vent temp. How long should it take to start blowing cold, any idea anyone?

Mine starts blowing cold within a minute with temperature set to minimum on display.

I assume if you have the mini fridge in the rear armrest area you have rear AC?

In case y'all don't know, Lexus dealerships are currently doing a summertime deal on air con re-gassing.

I phoned up and was really surprised with the price. £49.00 (inc VAT) includes:

• Check for leaks first (ask for this service beforehand though, and they'll do it for free)
  • Re-gas the system and make it smell nice again
  • PLUS they'll valet the car inside and out too!

What a deal! I'm booking in soon. :)

Chris.

Norman

That does not sound right, as I said, mine is as quiet as a hybrid. It did occur to me a while ago that if they could make a smaller version of our V8, say 2.5 litre, and retain the refinement, they would have a cracking engine for smaller models like the IS, and hybrids might be unnecessary

Donal, don't shell out for a new expensive compressor just on his say-so. If there is a genuine problem with it failing the car will tell you via a code. It is much more likely to be a small leak in the system. I think the your c/c man is looking for unnecessary work. Try somewhere else.

Cheers - chaps there are a few other things ,the slight vibration in the steering wheel is still there it has been to a local garage,they had it for a day done all kinds of checks, gearbox mounts,engine mounts,steering,shocks etc. they found nothing wrong. also they didn't charge for anything. also on occasion when I put the A/C on there is a slight whistle for a couple of seconds then it goes off, also the A/C seems to feel not as cold as I think it should be. I hope and pray it is not on it's way out,dont want to go down to Lexus after the treatment I had from them last year any thoughts --please

Maybe

But we are talking about LS400 and dicodonal is talking about a LS430

Just goes to show that LS400 is better in all respects from the LS430 !!!! This is a statement, not a fact.

The Ls 400 is a great car for its time, The Ls 430 is a better car. My opinion. This is a fact

• Like 1

Maybe

But we are talking about LS400 and dicodonal is talking about a LS430

Just goes to show that LS400 is better in all respects from the LS430 !!!! This is a statement, not a fact.

The Ls 400 is a great car for its time, The Ls 430 is a better car. My opinion. This is a fact

I will not reply to your misguided beliefs here as it will go off topic however please see the following link !!!

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/90979-whats-better-ls400-or-ls430/

Remember we are both entitled to our own opinion

My LS400 let me down because a hub nut came loose (someone cut the threads down on it) so that is human error

If I remember rightly your LS430 let you down due to an electrical drain most likely the passive keyless entry (manufacturing error)

Both cars will have faults however I feel mine is less likely to keep letting me down and will last longer

However please see the link for my light hearted duel !!!!

How do I find out the model number for a replacement compressor. I have a late 2003 Ls430.

I am looking at this part

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2994270&cc=1416642

I have had the misfortune of having the compressor replaced by my lexus dealer! £1899 later the air con was working perfectly!

The part number on the invoice is

E88310-50080

Before you decide to replace please find an independent air con outfit who could repair your compressor. I am told there's gearbox inside the compressor which might be the culprit and could be repaired at a fraction of the cost of complete replacement.

The much praised dealers are very greedy and Lexus are no exceptions!

Good luck

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links