Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300 Door (Wing) Mirror Staining

Go to solution Solved by br1anstorm,

The glass in the LH (passenger) door mirror of my 2002 IS300 Sportcross has recently developed what looks like an ink-stain in the bottom right corner. I can't yet judge whether it is spreading and getting any larger.

It looked initially as if it was simply the "silvering" on the back of the mirror coming off, or corroding in some way.

But a browse on this and other Lexus forums and websites has revealed the cause of the problem, and it seems to be unique to IS300s.

All IS 200 and 300 door/wing mirrors are electrically adjustable and heated and - in general - the entire mirror assembly from an IS200 will fit an IS300 and vice versa.

But here's the key point. The mirror glass in the IS300 units is also "auto-dimming" (photochromic). It is the same stuff as in those "transitions" spectacles and sunglasses which go dark in direct sunlight and lighten up indoors. This is thanks to some LCD-type molecular chemistry technology involving silver halides.

Apparently the "staining" in IS300 mirror glass occurs when this chemical compound in the glass deteriorates. It's not exactly a leak of liquid, but something similar. It is apparently irreversible. So there is no alternative but to replace the glass (which can be done, with care....), or the entire assembly.

So to my questions. Can anyone advise the specific part number for a 2002 IS300 LH mirror glass (ie the one which is autodimming/photochromic as well as having the heating element)? I need the UK part number, as the US parts catalogues are different since LH is the driver's side.

And if anyone has wide experience of replacing these mirrors: is the wiring connector for the mirror glass the same for all of them - IS200 and 300? I am assuming it is, since the photochromic feature does not depend on a power source, so all the mirrors should simply have wires for the heating element. NB I am referring to the connector off the back of the glass, not the wiring connecter for the entire assembly which comes through the doorframe and also includes the connections to the motor

I am hoping to find a genuine used IS300 mirror unit or glass off the well known online auction site. But if I have to settle for an IS200 mirror without autodimming as a replacement, I just want to be sure that the wiring connector will fit.

we are also having the same problem as above with our driver side mirror on our IS 300.

could you pm me with details if possible.

• 7 months later...

• 1 year later...

Hi guys! I'm quite new here and also have this same issue; it's the passenger side mirror. Can anyone advise what steps they took? Was the whole set replaced?

Thank you.

• 4 months later...
  • Solution

Hello Don (T800).  I just revisited this thread after some time away, and saw your post.  There are three options:

• buy a replacement OEM mirror glass unit from a dealer.  Ludicrously expensive, even more so if you get the dealer to fit it;
  • go the "scudney" route and source a replacement from a breaker (either the glass, or the whole unit - latter is easier for a breaker to supply and not too costly);
  • go for the quick and dirty option - especially if the MoT is imminent - and get a stick-on replacement glass from suppliers on the well known online auction site for a few quid.  It just sticks on top of your existing faulty mirror with double sided tape and is perfectly legal.

Me?  I went for options 2 and 3..... in fact the stick-on mirror is still in place two years down the track, and the replacement unit from a breaker is still on my garage shelf.  One of these days (or when the stick-on one falls off), I'll do the proper replacement!

Thank you br1an. I did go for option 2 in the end, and it's currently sitting in my shed. I'll have to fit it at some point or have it changed when it goes in for servicing.

Thanks once more.

• 4 years later...

Hi Alan and welcome to the LOC.

Really you have the same options as previously posted but with no doubt increased prices, Amayama are showing as no longer available so dealer option may not exist anymore at £261.00 for the glass.

Rockauto offer some replacements at around £10.00 but not sure on quality or fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Steve, sorry just saw your reply now. I don't really want to pay £261 for the glass even if it does exist! Will try Rockauto as you suggested and thanks for your reply