Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Review Of The 2014 Ct200H Advance

rayaans

So, the 20k service on my RX was due so a phone call and a chat later, booked for Thursday 22nd. I said I wanted an IS250 or an IS300h for a loaner as my front wheel had been kerbed and needed fixing.

So I arrived at the dealer - firstly I couldnt see an IS250/300h in sight. Disappointed, I went inside to be told they had none so they were giving a CT200h. More disappointment as it is way too small for my liking.

Ill get to the point - the 2014 CT200h advance looks great. I like how it looks, much more aggressive than before. I got in and the seats seemed pretty comfortable and were supportive.

Now this is where it went downhill. The interior felt cheap, the plastics were toyatoresque and the heated seat knobs came from my 2004 Lexus RX300. I found the infotainment system terribly difficult to use and this car had the rotary knob unlike my RX which has the remote touch which in my opinion is much faster and easier. Basic functions like turning the volume up and down were too difficult simply due to the volume knobs being too small and requiring intricate fine tuning!

Now as I moved off, power delivery seemed fine, no engine drone, nothing - just like my RX hybrid. Then the noises started. First roundabout - loud whirring. Second roundabout - even more whirring. I was beginning to worry - this is too noisy.

I hit the motorway and got to 60mph, eventually, this thing has no power even in sport mode and again, the noise was intruding. I checked to see if all the windows were closed and yes they were. In fairness, the actual engine was very smooth and silky. I am not referring to the CVT drone - which I have not experienced as such but the wind noise and road noise which were unexpectedly loud. I expected it to be like a bank vault - GS, IS, RX and LS like but it was too noisy simply put.

An hour later, as I got out of the car, guess what? Lower back pain. Now I am a medical practitioner by profession and back pain means bad seats with a combination of poor ride quality. This was an ADVANCE, I hate to wonder what an F Sport would be like. I come from an RX450h F Sport, but this was stiffer and much more uncontrolled.

So, the car is on my driveway and im taking my wife's 2004 Mercedes C220 CDI to work tomorrow. I hate to say it but the CT200h is NOT worth the Lexus badg, To be perfectly honest, it has the characteristics of a Toyota Auris and is not a car worth £25K+. If you need a small economical vehicle, please buy a VW Golf or an Audi A3 - better interior quality, better ride and much quieter. A disappointing car Lexus. Really cant wait to get my RX back, its going to be a long week.

Pros - Styling, wheels, fabric on the seats was good quality, smooth engine, nice chunky door thud

Cons - no power, uncontrolled ride, busy infotainment system, parts used from Lexii now a decade old, silly gear stick, small rear window, claustrophobic interior.

Another update, the passenger's side seat only reclines and goes forward or backwards. Doesn't go up and my 6ft son said it was too low down meaning he could barely just see properly out of the window - not good for a premium vehicle. The seat should have atleast a basic function to go up or down. I wonder how any 5 footers feel in the passenger seat!

It's interesting the divided opinion that the CT raises. I like mine very much, even the noise from the engine doesn't bother me. Must agree with the road/wind noise though. A few months ago when my CT went in for a service I got the opposite - a brand new RX450h, and was quite excited as we had been considering a 400h for to replace my wife's S-Max.

I must say, not even taking into account this was a 50k car, I was bitterly disappointed. The ride was very crashy , the handling 'wallows' and by far the most disappointing feature was the number of rattles in the cabin - the front and rear seats could be seen to vibrate as you went along. Went out and bought another new Ford.

Please don't take this as a 'tit for tat' bad review just because someone has attacked the CT - Raayans must like his RX as much as I like my CT, good job there are so many different cars out there to satisfy us all!

It's interesting the divided opinion that the CT raises. I like mine very much, even the noise from the engine doesn't bother me. Must agree with the road/wind noise though. A few months ago when my CT went in for a service I got the opposite - a brand new RX450h, and was quite excited as we had been considering a 400h for to replace my wife's S-Max.

I must say, not even taking into account this was a 50k car, I was bitterly disappointed. The ride was very crashy , the handling 'wallows' and by far the most disappointing feature was the number of rattles in the cabin - the front and rear seats could be seen to vibrate as you went along. Went out and bought another new Ford.

Please don't take this as a 'tit for tat' bad review just because someone has attacked the CT - Raayans must like his RX as much as I like my CT, good job there are so many different cars out there to satisfy us all!

Now this was the new one, so i cant comment on your model. I like my RX, its awesome, no rattles and the handling on my F Sport is X5 rivalling to be honest. Of course, the infotainment system with the basic rotary knob is not for me, I like the mouse better so these niggles can be sorted by getting the mouse controller and possibly different seats.

After driving it in the town, it seems pretty perfect for town use. No noise, very quiet, its just not a motorway vehicle or a car you want to drive fast but im sure some people dont have that as a priority.

And another note, dealers tend to overinflate the tyres so I deflated them and the ride is better now. Had to do the same with my RX. I collected it and it had 40psi

Each to their own - the ct200 is chosen for precisely its particular characteristics - if those don't suit then it doesn't make it a bad car. Vw and Audi are fair suggestions but they are in numbers - the ct200 is unusual and fairly rare and for that more attractive to some. No car is perfect and we can all find faults in any car. The numbers of positive comments means that for many the ct meets the needs of its choosers

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Each to their own - the ct200 is chosen for precisely its particular characteristics - if those don't suit then it doesn't make it a bad car. Vw and Audi are fair suggestions but they are in numbers - the ct200 is unusual and fairly rare and for that more attractive to some. No car is perfect and we can all find faults in any car. The numbers of positive comments means that for many the ct meets the needs of its choosers

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

I can imagine someone choosing it for efficiency, for its rather tiny size and for its exclusivity but apart from that I dont like it.

Another update today from my wife - shes struggling with the infotainment system. When the audio is turned on, it goes straight onto the radio even when the car was turned off with it on USB 1. It struggles to find the USB - a problem which seemed to happen just on this car as the USB is from my RX.

She also commented on very poor rear visibility and the fact that she needs atleast rear parking sensors to give her peace of mind. On the other hand, she said she rather likes the looks and it looks much more elegant and sophisticated than a BMW 1 series or a Mercedes A class. However, she wouldnt trade her Merc C class for it as its just too small.

It's hardly fair to compare a £25k car with a £50k car. I would expect the RX to be twice as good as the CT. They are for completely different markets.

However I must agree with the poor ride quality in the CT. That's why we don't have to pay road tax.

• Like 1

The most annoying thing about most but not all hybrids is their inability to tow. There are some companies who seem to have cracked the issue ( Mitsubishi) but this is largely untried in the consumer domain. My boss was looking into vehicles which would tow his somewhat large trailer which he uses to move his vintage tractor collection and found he couldnt use a Lexus 4 x4 despite its luxury credentials since the hybrid system would be damaged by the high torque demands. He has settled on a range rover instead.

The CT200 cant even manage one of those tiny trailers which people use to take garden refuse for disposal. Its small internal dimensions mean that any waste carriage must first be preceded by chopping everything up into small sections so as now to mess up the internals of the car with protruding bits and pieces.

Being a part time motorcyclist, I have noticed that modern British roads just can not sustain high speed traffic or even support the occasional brisk burst of acceleration afforded by a machine with the power to weight ratio which can achieve a sub 4 second 0-60 figure. I therefore cant find any use at all for any sort of high performance car other than to pose with. I find the performance of the CT is adequate for all of the roads we travel on. Having driven much larger vehicles in the past, its size allows far easier parking. I steer well clear of larger cars since despite better rear vision, a large proportion of their drivers fail to understand where their vehicle ends and another persons vehicle starts.

I have driven a transit van in the past and one quickly acquires the skill of judging the length and width of ones own vehicle and also becomes accustomed to parking without being able to see out of rear windows. The CT200 rear window is big enough to see out of when driving( when used in conjunction with the door mounted mirrors) and vestigial when parking. I guess that people who lack basic skills in driving should stick with all the whistles and bells they feel they need to support their inabilities.

It's hardly fair to compare a £25k car with a £50k car. I would expect the RX to be twice as good as the CT. They are for completely different markets.

However I must agree with the poor ride quality in the CT. That's why we don't have to pay road tax.

I am not comparing a £25k car with a £50k car. With the USB issue, i could easily argue that it should work first time, every time. My friend's toyota aygo can do this and thats a £10k car. There are also some cabin issues I have found - everytime its raining and the door is opened, water falls onto the seat? Never have I experienced this in a car before, not even a ford or skoda. Some plastics are also toyota quality and not Lexus quality.

On a positive note, my body seems to have adapted to the seats. No longer do I have back pain when driving the car, a newly found driving position has helped in the CT.

However, I still cant see anything out of the back window so I would recommend parking sensors and a rear camera on this particular car.

Giving credit where its due - in town, I havent been found wanting for more power, the CT200h seems to have good power at low speeds and low in the rev range. Very good. However, I still feel uncomfortable taking the car on the motorway, needs more power for safe overtaking.

I also deflated the tyres, seems to be helping the ride so far and the handling is still very good in my opinion. However, being used to a big car, it feels tiny and im not a fan of the tiny feel. I prefer something more muscular.

And BTW why are there so many bings and boings going off when driving the car? Its like musical chairs in here. Any way to turn these off? And why does the car keep beeping when put into reverse? I KNOW ITS IN REVERSE BECAUSE I PUT IT IN REVERSE. How do you turn the beeps off?

There are also some cabin issues I have found - everytime its raining and the door is opened, water falls onto the seat? Never have I experienced this in a car before, not even a ford or skoda.

Unfortunately I suffer with this on the RX400h, especially on the rear doors.

There are also some cabin issues I have found - everytime its raining and the door is opened, water falls onto the seat? Never have I experienced this in a car before, not even a ford or skoda.

I had one, never did it fall off the roof and onto the car. Someone please tell me how to turn this bing and boing noises from the satnav off and how to stop it beeping continuously when in reverse. Its driving me mad! Its not a truck!

I had one, never did it fall off the roof and onto the car. Someone please tell me how to turn this bing and boing noises from the satnav off and how to stop it beeping continuously when in reverse. Its driving me mad! Its not a truck!

The drip issue is easy to put to bed: old fashioned cars had vertical side windows and so the rain didnt fall onto the interior from the door frame. Modern cars have doors which incorporate window which slope inwards and are more inclined ( pun) to drop water directly onto the upholstery. All of my cars have done it at some stage from around 1999 onwards. My mini and my stag and all of my old jags never did that but the mini and the stag used to allow the water to flow through the car in other areas though!

The drip issue is easy to put to bed: old fashioned cars had vertical side windows and so the rain didnt fall onto the interior from the door frame. Modern cars have doors which incorporate window which slope inwards and are more inclined ( pun) to drop water directly onto the upholstery. All of my cars have done it at some stage from around 1999 onwards. My mini and my stag and all of my old jags never did that but the mini and the stag used to allow the water to flow through the car in other areas though!

Its coming from the roof though. It drips straight from the roof onto the seat and its not even the edge of the seat, its slap bang in the middle. I probably wouldnt mind with a leather interior but on beige fabric its noticeable!

Interesting seeing other opinions on the CT. I had a 2014 model F-Sport as a courtesy car and didn't find the ride all that bad. Yes it was harder than my IS but I didn't think it was terrible. You can definitely tell it's the entry level Lexus but it still feels like a quality premium product for what it is and comparing it with the equivalent A3/1 series etc.

I just had to drive my old car to let someone test drive it and it just reinforced how happy I am with the new ct 200 premier 2014 on 16's. By all means make a comparison to a3 BMW 1 but try to match it spec for spec with the CT's features versus having to pay extra on the others and I think you'll be surprised at the cost

I just had to drive my old car to let someone test drive it and it just reinforced how happy I am with the new ct 200 premier 2014 on 16's. By all means make a comparison to a3 BMW 1 but try to match it spec for spec with the CT's features versus having to pay extra on the others and I think you'll be surprised at the cost

I think the spec for spec argument is one of the reasons for choosing Lexus across all the models in the range!

I think the spec for spec argument is one of the reasons for choosing Lexus across all the models in the range!

Its cheaper spec for spec, no arguments there. Same with all Lexus models. I seem to have become used to the ride now, its not too bad but on my RX F Sport the suspension is stiff but softer than the CT Advance which got me confused slightly.

Hmm as for interior, the new Audi A3 is rather hard to beat to be honest.

Yes but before you get in an Audi you have to have an operation to remove all consideration synapses and have them replaced with arrogant ones - at least that must be so to explain why I keep getting those four rings in my rear view inches off my back window

I drove a CT200 for a week and have had a few specs. I like them but there are some things that annoyed me.

1. The gear stick was really odd, I am sure i would get used to it but found it a strange design.

2. No lumbar support was not ideal.

3. The constantly flashing dash annoyued me a lot.

4. Centre arm rest was positioned in a way that meant my elbow kept slipping in to the gap! Maybe i am just abnormally put together.

5. NO boot space at all. My 53 reg Leon had a bigger boot.

6. Sound system was not great but i am used my ML in my F so not a fair comparrison.

Things i likes.

1. I love the styling. Best looking hatch on the market imo.

2. I liked the stiff ride but that is what i am used to. If i was expecting audi A3 softness i would have been surprised though.

3. Liked the materials, build quality and cabin design. Very nice place to sit.

4. Had better than expected poke in sport mode which was enjoyable.

5. Like the thickness and comfort of the steering wheel. Liked it quite a lot in fact.

6. Softness of the arm rests was nice and more comfortable than my F arm rests which have less padding.

That was not supposed to be 6 each, just worked out that way! Overall i liked it but i always buy older top spec and therefore always feel underwhelmed when i get in cars like this.

Stu

I drove a CT200 for a week and have had a few specs. I like them but there are some things that annoyed me.

1. The gear stick was really odd, I am sure i would get used to it but found it a strange design.

2. No lumbar support was not ideal.

3. The constantly flashing dash annoyued me a lot.

4. Centre arm rest was positioned in a way that meant my elbow kept slipping in to the gap! Maybe i am just abnormally put together.

5. NO boot space at all. My 53 reg Leon had a bigger boot.

6. Sound system was not great but i am used my ML in my F so not a fair comparrison.

Things i likes.

1. I love the styling. Best looking hatch on the market imo.

2. I liked the stiff ride but that is what i am used to. If i was expecting audi A3 softness i would have been surprised though.

3. Liked the materials, build quality and cabin design. Very nice place to sit.

4. Had better than expected poke in sport mode which was enjoyable.

5. Like the thickness and comfort of the steering wheel. Liked it quite a lot in fact.

6. Softness of the arm rests was nice and more comfortable than my F arm rests which have less padding.

That was not supposed to be 6 each, just worked out that way! Overall i liked it but i always buy older top spec and therefore always feel underwhelmed when i get in cars like this.

Stu

I agree with many of your points. Im also used to the ML in mine so was underwhelmed with the stereo but cant complain since its only got like 6 speakers. The dash on mine does not seem to flash, it beeps which is even more annoying!

Its the constant change in and out of blue to show Battery use/charging. Really distracting IMO. Maybe it can be turned off as a feature.

Two more against...Beep when in reverse!!!! Not a truck so why beep? Also rear view camera in one of the ones i drove was in the RV mirror. At first thought it was cool then realised it is too small to be of use and takes up mirror space!

Stu

Its the constant change in and out of blue to show battery use/charging. Really distracting IMO. Maybe it can be turned off as a feature.

Two more against...Beep when in reverse!!!! Not a truck so why beep? Also rear view camera in one of the ones i drove was in the RV mirror. At first thought it was cool then realised it is too small to be of use and takes up mirror space!

Stu

My Dad has a 2011 SE-L Premier and his had ML audio and the Sat Nav screen is used for the rear view camera so I guess if you buy the right spec all is good in that department.

A couple of cool features I do really like from his are the radar guided cruise control and the hard drive sat nav/music system. I know you can get these on the later IS models but mine is a 57 plate so has DVD based sat nav and ML audio and no optional radar :(

One thing I do find odd though is that his driver's seat is electric and memory and the passenger seat is totally manual? Would have thought it would have at least been electric!

Yes both my seats are electric memory too in my SE-L. I have standard cruise control which is better than nothing but radar would be lovely. My Dad gave me a lift to the airport in his CT and it was impressive - makes for a very relaxing motorway experience!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links