Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sc430 Progress Thread - Craigison

CraigIson

Hi

I did my exhaust last spring and went for stainless due to the original having blown in so many places, lexus wanted just to much,I was given a choice over how much noise iwanted so I opted for standard how it came and now I've got a lovely burble, but in tunnels and multi storys Wow how meaty,,, let love it.

PM'd you neil.

It was the same reason for me John, MY centre section with the 2 resonators had been re-welded where a crack had formed, but the crack had carried on spreading. To replace that section, lexus wanted over £500 with out fitting! Compared to having a custom stainless built how i want. Cost less and came with a life time guarantee!

Reply sent. Look forward to seeing the pictures. I've seen a few different versions so it should be interesting to see how yours is configured. Mine is quite similar to the original layout so that it isn't too wild but others use a separate pipe on each side after the centre cat, cross over or Y piece.

• 3 weeks later...

Well ... The exhaust is done (I think I'm now at version 3!)

IMG_0537_zpsycw14bi0.jpg

IMG_0538_zpshrswjq20.jpg

We started by just taking the back box off to see what it sound like ... Didn't really make much difference!

IMG_0527_zpszj1rkdw9.jpg

IMG_0539_zps0ycyjsgp.jpg

So we decided to take the Rear resonators off ... It sounded better!

So we then decided to take the rear cat off ... (Seeing as its not needed for UK MOT's)

IMG_0540_zpsypriecfn.jpg

We've decided to run no rear Resonators, into a single Back box that only has a small amount of baffling (its just a empty back box thats divided into 2 sections, so its like having 2 back boxes in one) The dividing wall is perforated to allow a slight interferance to stop any droning for motorway runs etc (This system works too!!!)

The system follows the same route as the original exhaust, Except at the centre section where the cat used to be. Due to the two down pipes going to the cat now going straight back into 2 its created a compact X pipe.

The back box has been polished (SHINEY GOODNESS! :-P) and is just visible when following the car from a distance. The tips are 4.5" Inward rolled slash cut (I didn't want to go over the top on size, i still wanted it to look stock(ish) but only be noticeable to people in the know)

So there we have it ... It sounds perfect IMO ... With the roof up and windows up. For normal driving it has made no difference inside (Until you go over 3k) With the windows down, You know its running but its not OTT. And roof down ... You can't hide from it :P

IMG_0567_zpsptwzdzto.jpg

IMG_0568_zpscq6lcc83.jpg

IMG_0566_zpsdytnx5yi.jpg

and a little video of revving up to 3K ...

However, while it was up on the ramps i did notice a little bit of rust starting at the rear of the rear arches. Nothing major, But something that needed sorting so she's being booked in for a rust treatment asap. Im surprised how little rust there is on it tbh, a 13 year old car expected a lot more! so I'm not going to complain. And as i plan on keeping her for the foreseeable future, Rust treatment is defiantly something i need to keep on top of.

IMG_0529_zpsecnxj8wz.jpg

IMG_0530_zps3uoqxhyu.jpg

Once the exhaust has bedded in, ill be getting my DB meter out and checking the sound levels :)

• 2 months later...

Update ... Wheels and tyres

When i purchased my SC this time last year, it had a buckled wheel (Only slightly but it was enough to give annoying wheel wobble at 65mph+) .. New wheels was needed, so i could get the stock ones de-buckled and powder coated (Due to a shoddy rattle can job done by the previous owner!)

I'm pretty indecisive when it comes to wheels. I can never decide what i want ... I wanted Width, Hight and concave-i-ness, but clean and simple ... So i got in touch with Rotiform in the US and managed to get hold of one of the last sets of SNA's :)

20x10.5 ET35 all round is what i ended up getting. (The biggest i could get them in!) Normally they don't make them in the 5x114.3 PCD but because they started out as blanks, it wasn't a problem.

IMG_0234_zps0zwyaepr.jpg

The tyres are Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/35/R20 and have had to be stretched on ... Using fire ... Bead setters just couldn't get them on.

IMG_1049_zps4dkdag1f.jpg
(Before mounting)

11082728_600118773357917_1607409659_n_zp
(After mounting, Meet Adam AKA Mr Wheel Kings)

Ive had to have new wheel nuts, The Rotiforms have Tapered nut seats instead of the stock Flat washer type ...

IMG_0469_zpsl6yffykg.jpg

IMG_0470_zps274ij47p.jpg
I like to call the colour "Unicorm Vomit" :)

I also decided to go with Flush fit valve stems, Kinda finishes off the look :)

So yeah, They're on. Pretty much prefect fitment on the front (I might try a 5-10mm spacer) But the rears need a inch spacer still so (And maybe a bit more camber) ill be sorting that out when i get coil overs or air ride for her in a few months.

See what you think ...

Rear fitment
IMG_1103_zpsv7syrty6.jpg

Front fitment
IMG_1104_zpsafkndpev.jpg

IMG_1176_zpsoudncgd1.jpg

IMG_1145_zps2kq2k5tk.jpg

IMG_1118_zps8fqvxxms.jpg

IMG_1116_zpsdqllnq46.jpg

IMG_1113_zpsadkzhxtf.jpg

IMG_1110_zpsypzbodpy.jpg

IMG_1099_zpsnh0jp7v4.jpg

IMG_1179_zpsofo7wiii.jpg

IMG_1202_zpsgo9bqjim.jpg

IMG_1114_zpssrqdrdbl.jpg

Naturally ... if some one who wants to model is around, Make the most of them :D

IMG_1198_zpshezkx1cx.jpg

IMG_1201_zps6xnhamdt.jpg

IMG_1197_zps8tm5cek0.jpg

So yeah there we go ...

Next up is to decide if i will fork out for air ride or get her on coil overs ... But before then she's in need of a service and MOT in the next month. Also I've got a creaking noise from from the streering when turning at low speeds (It was doing it before the new wheels went on!), Sounds like a bush so going to get that checked out also. She's also booked in for a full rust proofing at Waxoyl themselves.

... Stay tuned :)

They look very nice indeed but I would be concerned with that degree of stretch for any high speed or aggressive cornering. I can see air ride to follow with suspension/camber help from Figs Engineering.

Your right about the stretch, I actually ordered 20x10's ... apparently they didn't listen and they sent 10.5's which are closer to being 11's. the idea wasn't to have this much stretch. 245's are designed for a 9.5 inch rim, SO there would have been only a small amount on a 10. but it didn't work out that way ... but thankfully, i drive like a granny. So high speed cornering isn't my thing.

Air ride is the next big thing to be done. the suspension is feeling a bit tired so it needs to be upgraded soon. ideal time to swap it out for air ride and change all the bushes too :)

• 4 months later...

Do you really keep the SC in one of those garages? (early pic)

Must have to do a 'Dukes of Hazard' exit (over the back!!)

Mine is similarly sized-could (just) fit a BMW 850 in, with tyre at end to protect front!

Had to climb out of window though!

• 6 months later...

Hi all and in particular Craiglson. Having just bought a dream car 2001 Sc430 in champagne with ecru leather and walnut vaneer , I'm reading EVERTHING on sc430's on the site..Your thread on this project is fascinating mate and what a great job you've done, congrats. I haven't even made a list to start yet ...........well apart from the problem Im having with intermittent radio silence............might be the amp but we will see    

Hi Neil , update on ML no audio issue , got an auto electrician coming next week who seems to think the after market nokia hands free has caused the problem ( Nokia ck-7w) 

Apparently its quite common for them to get stuck on mute. Hope so as it will be a lot cheaper than getting the amp refurbed. Heres a couple pics after a wash and wax. 

002.JPG

004.JPG

• Like 1

Ah yes good thought. You could try functions such as the fader, treble, bass, etc to see if the link between the head unit and amplifier is working. I assume you have checked the fuses.

Sorry, I can't help much as I replaced my head unit with an Alpine but I am aware that the ML amps do suffer with this type of failure. 

Fader , treble /bass and volume not working .................havent checked the fuse as I assumed since the radio unit is live .........unless you mean the amp has a seperate fuse and in which case do you know where it is mate?

• 7 years later...

I have just spent 3 hours in the company of your 2001 SC 430. It's still looking very sharp. In general, a well sorted car.Being Sorned I could not get a run in it, but Neil the current owner seems well pleased with the performance. Apart from the expected couple of things that any car will get if it's driven it is quite immaculate and it is still on coilovers ! Pleasure to have been able to give it a lengthy lookover.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links