Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Updating Sat Nav - Confusing!

Morning,

Please can anyone shed some light on updating the Sat Nav on my RX300 (05 plate)? I have attempted to conduct some online reasearch and understand the easiest answer is to find out what is written on the current disc. However this is easier said than done as Im having trouble locating where the disc is stored within the car. I've read that it could be underneath the passenger seat or located in the boot, I've checked both to no avail. From the display screen I have worked out that it could be a gen 3 running 2004 - 2005 version.

My question is firstly can someone direct me as to where to look for the disc, and secondly what is the latest version that I could update to? Any help would be much appreciated.

I bought from this guy without any problems at all. It worked straight away faultlessly.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/231217785848?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Just confirm with the disc you have, that this is the correct one, from his list on his advert, or contact him, very helpful.

In my 04 RX 300 the satnav machine is in the boot on the right hand side under the large removable floor, hidden behind a letterbox size vertical flap.

post-48831-0-57302200-1401958792_thumb.j

I know it's probably been covered elsewhere but what advantage (apart from route updates) does the latest disc give over the existing one that's already installed.

Thanks..

Thanks Steve.

Does the latest update do postcodes as opposed to having to input the full address?

Still only partial postcodes...the only weakness of an otherwise very good tool.

Guys thanks for the info. I ended up buying the updated disc from the eBay site recommended above and was really impressed. The disc arrived in about 3 days, and managed to update in minutes, after I found where to look from the photo above, thanks DDow.

Seems like a decent price, I've just emailed him for confirmation on what disc I'd need. Mine is a 2005 disc, for the most part it's ok, but there have been enough changes since then for me to think about updating it.

I just received it, installation was as simple as replacing the disc and letting it update. The map data seems to be current (local motorway junction is now correct).

It still warns me about safety every time I start, which is irritating.

• 2 weeks later...

And I paid ~£140 for the latest 4 discs - though I guess the prices difference is exactly because of that... If you drive only in UK then it more than enough - and I think the disc still includes major roads of the Western Europe - just in case you cross the Channel and get lost =)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All

I bought a 2003 RX300 SE-L on 1st August (114,000 miles). I looked for the navigation disk today and I found the player. It was slightly different to the picture above in that there were buttons on the left when you face it. I pressed and held buttons yet no disk appeared. I understand that you can ask the satnav which version of the software is installed - I haven't done this.

The satnav appears to work and I changed home location to where I live and the roads I've driven on today come up on the screen.

Presumably the satnav has a memory. What do I do now?

Murphybear

If you press in the button can you then slide it across? That may be the design which just has a cover over the slot which you need to retract and then the disc will eject. Ignition will need to be on to eject the disc.

Thanks Colin

I didn't have the ignition on!!! I've got the disk out . It's from 2001 (Ver 1). The replacement is PZ445-X01EU-11 which I haven't seen mentioned on this website .

What is meant by " choosing destinations on the move "

Best Wishes

Murphybear

• 3 years later...

Have been a Lexus man since 1998,got the Rx300 SE-L AUTO 2004 last year and have battled with the satnav ever since. Got the update from Lexus, just as bad!

Nickt211 was displaying the sat nav disc from her car which is exactly the same as the one Lexus garage replaced - £125  for the new version

is Nickt211 coping with her disc? If so I will put my old disc back and try again .

Did Lexus ever print an instruction manual?

that aside Lexus motors are superb 

The vehicle would have come with a Navigation manual, just as thick as the owners manual - sadly the older manuals don't appear to be in electronic format so obtaining a copy is difficult.

18 hours ago, Alan Roper said:

Have been a Lexus man since 1998,got the Rx300 SE-L AUTO 2004 last year and have battled with the satnav ever since. Got the update from Lexus, just as bad!

Nickt211 was displaying the sat nav disc from her car which is exactly the same as the one Lexus garage replaced - £125  for the new version

is Nickt211 coping with her disc? If so I will put my old disc back and try again .

Did Lexus ever print an instruction manual?

that aside Lexus motors are superb 

Why bother?

Even if you could get an up-to-date map disc, the operation of the integrated satnav is very clunky at best, plus, because it's DVD-based, you can't install your own POIs. 

As an example, our old RX300 was converted to LPG and a set of POIs (Points Of Interest) listing every LPG filling station in the country is available for the TomTom. If I was running low, I just asked TT to take me to the nearest filling station and that was it, sorted. You can't do that with the integrated system. I used it as a sort of 'rolling screensaver' but used my TomTom for proper navigation.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links