Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I've been a lurker here for a while, but never had need to post until now. I'm very grateful for all the info and advice I've gathered in the past however.

Unfortunately I now have a problem that I can't find a solution to.

I parked my car at home last night and I'd had a normal drive home, nothing out of the ordinary. Got to it this morning and it wouldn't start. On start button press it does the normal checks, the needles do thier wizzy thing, I put my foot on the clutch, the light turns green, I press the button, and then all of the electrics flash with a rapid clicking noise and the engine doesn't even attempt to turn over. All of the lights flash on the instrument binnacle and the lights flash on the area below the centre console with the screen and CD changer slot where it shows the airbags etc.

Once I give up and turn it off the other things in the car seem to work normally (edited for clarity following normski's reply). I don't get any error messages on the display, and the warning lights seem to do what they normally do.

All other similar problems seem to be Battery related, and I would try a jump start, but with the car parked on a main road and the neighbours cars on either side I can't get another car in to jump from.

Anyone else experienced this or have any advice?

IS220D, 2009.

Are you saying

Once I give up and turn it off everything seems to work normally.

That the car then starts OK?

If you're not and its still dead I'd guess your Battery might have died. Worth getting a jump and go get it checked (at Halfords maybe?).

Are you saying

Once I give up and turn it off everything seems to work normally.

That the car then starts OK?

Sorry, I see what you mean. Unfortunately not.

I mean all the door locks work as expected, the interior lights work, the audio system and sat nav etc.

I've not yet managed to start the car.

It sounds like your Battery is OK.

It's probably a long shot, but you didn't briefly start and then stop the car (perhaps to move it) sometime between arriving home last night and this morning? If you did you might have flooded the engine which will make starting it difficult.

If it's not that, it sounds like an electrical problem - perhaps just a fuse.

It sounds like your battery is OK.

It's probably a long shot, but you didn't briefly start and then stop the car (perhaps to move it) sometime between arriving home last night and this morning? If you did you might have flooded the engine which will make starting it difficult.

Nope, it's not moved since last night. It was the wife who found the problem tho, so I certainly wouldn't rule out a flooded engine.

It just doesn't seem to even attempt to turn the engine over.

Don't laugh ... this is a bit of old school advice and it may or may not work - if it does then you have found the problem ...

If you can get to the starter motor (don't know where they are on these cars) tap it with a hammer a few times then try and start it.....

Let us know.

I'll give anything a try... just need to find out where the starter motor is. I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight and let you know what happens.

You don't necessarily have to tap the end of the starter motor. Put it in reverse gear and try and rock the car forward and back. Whilst doing this listen out for a click sound (not always audible) which will be the bendix screw disengaging from the flywheel.You only have to try and move the car a notch or two on the flywheel....literally an inch or two.

I think the starter may be very hard to get to and in trying to tap with a hammer you may do damage elsewhere!!

Your Battery terminal leads are tight aren't they?

You don't necessarily have to tap the end of the starter motor. Put it in reverse gear and try and rock the car forward and back. Whilst doing this listen out for a click sound (not always audible) which will be the bendix screw disengaging from the flywheel.You only have to try and move the car a notch or two on the flywheel....literally an inch or two.

I think the starter may be very hard to get to and in trying to tap with a hammer you may do damage elsewhere!!

Your battery terminal leads are tight aren't they?

That's a good tip I'l give that a try, and it'll save me getting dirty trying to work out where the starter motor is.

I think the leads to the Battery terminals are tight, but it may be that the garage didn't tighten them when it was last in. I'll check that all out when I get home. With everything else working I'm assuming it's not a connection problem.

First thing to try will be a jump start and failing that I'll give these other things a try before calling a garage to come and have a look at it.

Well, I tried to jump it and that proved to make no difference. I also tried rocking the car, but couldn't even get it to move a bit.

I've uploaded a YouTube video of the problem:

Sure looks like a classic failed Battery to me, the high current draw from the starter motor is causing the Battery voltage to drop so low the rest of the electrical systems are dropping out.

The clicking noise you hear is the starter motor solenoid engaging then dropping out due to lack of current from the Battery to energise the field coils and armature.

Very surprised a jump start didn't work but if the car's Battery is low on charge even a jump across it may not be enough.

Are you not a break down club member? If not do you know an AA member nearby as their policy normally covers the driver not the car.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm surprised the jump didn't work in that case too.

I am an AA member, but I don't have home start. I'll give them a ring and see what they'll charge to come out and have a look at it.

That is Battery problem have u got a meter @ have u checked water in Battery if it's got no water it won't jump start hope u get it sorted lav got same car but on 06 it happened to me once when I went north it didn't turn 1st time but 2nd time also happened once when I came back I cleaned terminals @ put Battery corride on it so far good

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions.

I went out and bought a new Battery, and everything seems to be working again. I'm just hoping it's not the alternator now. :P

It's such a faff to fit, but not too bad. Once I'd worked out how to remove the wire on the side of the Battery cover (you squeeze it and pull back for anyone looking for the answer to that one), and then realised that you need to remove the trim above the Battery it was quite simple.

Thanks again!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links