Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Capacitors Replaced Today By Ian

Ian(my bikes a cx500) and I teamed up today to get my ECU sorted.

ECU removal was quite a time consuming job due to the removal of various parts.

When opening the ECU it looked pretty much brand new, no leaking Caps detected.

The Clublexus forum stated the mkIII ECU has 6 caps to replace, when in reality there are 9.

Ian managed to replace 7 of the 9 caps (using one from his own kit)

The first difference noticed was when Ian connected his oscilloscope - old caps reading was about 1.5V and with new caps around 40mV? I'm sure Ian will correct me if I'm wrong.

Having driven it a few times now - I have noticed:

-Smoother gear changes

-More power

-More low end power which would be torque I guess

And Ian, again, many, many thanks :)

Oh and also....I can now easily achieve 65mpg ;)

from memory the caps needed for the mkIII are

2 x 10μF - 50v
2 x 15μF - 35v
2 x 47μF - 63v
2 x 100μF - 10v
1 x 220μF - 16v

The ones missing should be 1 x 47μF - 63v and 2x 15μF - 35v

Is here a modified list of required capacitors somewhere else in the Club Lexus topic as I am going from the initial list below?

1990-92 LS400 needs 10 or 11 caps as follows:

Qty. 3 of 10μF - 50v
Qty. 2 of 15μF - 35v
Qty. 3 of 47μF - 63v
Qty. 2 of 100μF - 10v
Qty. 1 of 220μF - 16v

1993-94 LS400 needs 8 caps as follows:

Qty. 2 of 10μF - 50v
Qty. 2 of 15μF - 35v
Qty. 1 of 47μF - 63v
Qty. 2 of 100μF - 10v
Qty. 1 of 220μF - 16v

1995-97 LS400 needs 6 caps as follows:

Qty. 2 of 10uF - 50v
Qty. 1 of 47uF - 63v
Qty. 2 of 100uF - 10v
Qty. 1 of 220uF - 16v

1998-2000 LS400 needs 11 caps as follows:

Qty. 2 of 10μF - 50V
Qty. 3 of 47μF - 63V
Qty. 2 of 100μF - 10V
Qty. 1 of 220μF - 16V
Qty. 1 of 33μF - 35V
Qty. 1 of 47μF - 25V (special BP capacitor) - high reliability capacitor, replacement recommended but not critical
Qty. 1 of 330μF - 35V - high reliability capacitor, replacement recommended but not critical
  • Like 1

Ok guys,

Steve, I'm more than happy to cover the cost etc of further ECU capacitors if you're able to get them for me.

You're doing a great service for us.

Many thanks.

Malc

Does the MK4 need capacitors replacing ???

Mine is running fine but doesn't get many MPG round town (probs down to my lead foot)

Series IV capacitor requirements are listed in post number 6

Mine is running fine but doesn't get many MPG round town (probs down to my lead foot)

how often should they be changed

and how do you know if they need changing ?

Have a look at the topic on Club Lexus all the details are there including symptoms of impending failure, the only way to check for sure is to remove the ECU,open it up and check the condition of the components concerned.

Just to let members know I am sending additional capacitors to some series III owners after it came to light more were required than the initial list and new requests are being dispatched over the weekend due to sudden heavy work comittments this week.

Steve, please could you add to the order another kit so that I have one for my other Mk 3 as well?

Thanks a lot and, if you can let me know when the kit arrives, I will make the payment as previously.

Cheers

Colin

Iv'e just changed mine, they looked perfectly fine, I'd say the car is generally a bit snappier, overall a bit better, not much in it, I don't think Mk4 age capacitors, in this climate, have gone off much. Glad I did it though.

Steve, please could you add to the order another kit so that I have one for my other Mk 3 as well?

Thanks a lot and, if you can let me know when the kit arrives, I will make the payment as previously.

Cheers

Colin

Will do

Iv'e just changed mine, they looked perfectly fine, I'd say the car is generally a bit snappier, overall a bit better, not much in it, I don't think Mk4 age capacitors, in this climate, have gone off much. Glad I did it though.

Let me modify my last post, possibly now that the ECU has done a bit of re-learning, the car is noticeably quicker to respond.

I've just come back over my bit of road with no junctions where I traditionally floor it, and you'd think I'd fitted a turbo, much, much more rapid.

Round of applause for Steve for his work helping us to revive all our cars!

• Like 1

After reading on here for a few months finally took the plunge and bought a lexus ls 400 mk4 in black with lpg .

Have few issues with low idle and slightly lumpy , cleaned out the throttle body . Engine management light comes on followed closely by esc light warning , and I can't connect to the ecu using two different scanners , one costing thousands .

So I think a good place to start could be the ecu capacitors , have you got any left Steve and if so how do I pay you cheers Darren .

Drove the car 160 mile home, first time I've ever been up close to one never mind drive ,all I can say is wow .

I was a mechanic for twenty years and drove many cars at various dealerships but none come close

• Like 1

No problem Darren,

I am currently waiting for another shipment of capacitors to make up the kits (apologies for any other members still waiting for theirs).

Once I have the new stock I will get back to you.

• 8 months later...

Hi, haven't been here for a while....Ls400 '96 has been perfect until very recently. ECU has failed. Could anyone suggest where I can send it for repair or is it a task I can do myself, having read the thread. I need to fix it very soon as my wife is becoming more insistant about getting rid of it.....she doesnt understand

Regards

Jeff

Hi, rpm 1800...have reduced it to 1400 by rotating the tps, very rich lots of soot....lots! Maybe1/2 mile to gallon.

obd codes:

21,27,28,29,31 and 71

Also ect/pwr light on

have replaced ho2s on offside exhaust as well as welding the joint, replaced aic,air filter all fluids correct levels.

Regards

Jeff

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links