Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tank Range

Hi all, Would you mind telling me how many miles you get from a tank please. I have an A4 2.7tdi multitronic, which usually gives around 500-520 miles with normal driving, my IS 250 before that was mid 300’s I think, (was 2.1/2 years ago though).

I ask, as I’m thinking of changing to an IS300H F-sport, as I have really taken a liking to them. The interior does it for me, seating position is spot on, compared to the 2nd gen IS, which I was never comfortable in, as I always felt too high up.

I know there is another thread on this, but with miles building up, I’m curious to see how much it’s gone up?.

Thanks all.

Had my premier 3 months now, and averaging 44.5 to the gallon, range showing around 550 miles. Probably more motorway miles than A roads but a lot better than 32 mpg from my IS 250.

I don't always fill to the brim so can't accurately answer your question. However, if it helps nothing has changed in terms of my driving style or mileage but I have virtually halved my petrol expenditure compared to my 2nd Gen IS250. I've had the 300h since 1st Sept and done 9200 miles.

I haven't finished my first tank fill yet but done close to 300 miles and a predicted 200 to go. Averaging 40MPG. I have however been playing quite a lot. Trying it in sport, seeing how fast it will accelerate, seeing how far I can go in EV mode etc, the latter was a struggle as I have very heavy feet! :) So I am sure it will get lots better yet. :)

I've managed 620 when the fuel light came on - that was mostly motorway travel though.

More info in the Fuelly link in the sig, almost all of those are from filling up when the light went on although I think there's one short fill and the first was a top up before a full fill.

PS Had quick peek, ok so only a couple are full fill ups !

700 miles, based on the full 66ltr tank is 48mpg. A slightly more realistic 60ltr fill, would be 53mpg.

Very achievable, if a bit boring to get to!

Hi all,

Im awaiting my new Is 300 h f-sport in white. Should have it July 20th. It will be my fourth lexus so im pretty excited about getting it.

Ive stopped reading expert reviews as they are dissing the car big time on the performance. On reading the previous posts on MPG im kinda bewildered as to why lexus are claiming my new car will do 60 + MPG. Clearly new owners here are achieving far less.

Has anyone an opinion on this .

• Like 1

No car will get the claimed fuel economy. They're tested in lab conditions, no wind resistance, no hills, no traffic, no emergency braking etc.... the IS300h in my experience is quite capable of doing high 50 mpg (my journey to work reported 55.6) but it is strongly affected by real world factors. Gentle throttle, learn how to optimise the hybrid system and don't drive too fast on motorways and you'll get over 50 reasonably easy.

Ya i suppose when you take those facts into consideration it makes sense. All in all the MPG that you have quoted is very very good for a petrol 2.5 L. So im not complaining. Can i ask you for your opinion on the on the performance side of things. How do you find it. Reading the reviews would seriously depress you. I get the fact they are complaining its not sporty enough given the sporty look of the car but im forty years old and i love the sporty look and the fact it dont drive like a track car dont bother me. I dont drive like louis hamilton anyway.

I have had no issues at all with the performance. It's no Ferrari if that's what you're asking but the performance is very impressive, your main hinderance to out and out pace will be the gearbox, it goes about things at its own pace and will not be hurried. That said, the instant torque of the engine means that when you're moving the way it gains speed is very impressive. IMO it is quicker than your average Audi A4 Diesel, Mercedes C220, BMW 320d that are cars usually associated with the purchase.

Off the line the weight is an issue as is the gearbox but throwing it along a nice a road or cruising on a motorway once you've adapted to the gearbox I think you'll be very happy.

Sport mode and paddle shift on the gearbox make a difference on the aforementioned A road too....

Economy - I've got up to 50mpg in mine, which I'm very happy with. Yep, it's less than the 60mpg quoted but I don't think you'll ever see close to the quoted figure in any car. It's too much a controlled conditions test. It's a test that gets consistent numbers between different manufacturers cars but it also sees silly results like the 100mpg+ figures that are quoted for plug in hybrids.

What I'm really happy about is that I'm losing much less against the quote than with the CT I had before. My sig has the Fuelly link to my IS and this link will take you to the numbers I was getting on the CT : http://www.fuelly.com/car/lexus/ct200h/2011/Sleepypete/91945

CT - quoted 69mpg, achieved 48 average, although I was seeing minor improvements in that to a consistent low 50s after I stopped bothering updating Fuelly.

IS - quoted 60mpg, achieving 46 average and improving with every fill up. My current tank is reading 53.5 on the computer which will turn into perhaps 49 at the pump.

So that extra performance in the IS gives extra flexibility which helps out the mpg.

Performance ? It's a 220bhp car with double the torque that you'd expect. I rarely drive in Sport now (don't have to !) and I drive in Eco in town to tame some of the drive-by-wire responses (the brake can be a little choppy in mine at low speed). Off the line, you have to be careful following people because of our CVT gearbox, our car continues to gather speed while they're changing gear.

That CVT gearbox is worth a mention actually. The CT felt quicker than the 10sec to 60 car it was. It felt as quick as my Puma (9sec) and almost as quick as my Focus ST170 (7.5). The reason is that the CVT gearbox lets the car give you everything it's got, every time you ask it to. There does seem to be a little bit of motor lag in Normal that goes away in Sport.

The IS has enough power to make pretty much anything go Bye-Bye behind you at the lights, plus it has a chassis which just eats sharp corners for breakfast.

Happy IS300h owner here - it does that magic combination of handling, power and economy :hocus-pokus:

• Like 1

Hi Dochybrid,

On my last fill up, the petrol light lit up on the way in to work and I filled up on the way home. I don't have that long (5 miles!) to drive in so, a fill up of 56.5 litres suggests it comes on at 56 litres used or 10 litres reserve.

First tank was around 650 miles, dash was showing 53.4 mpg, 95% motorway mind you.

Just done my fuel for the month for work and the actual mpg was 51.2 (calculated from litres used by mileage) so the computer isn't a million miles away.

Although wife had it for 2 days now and dash showing 44 mpg, I think some education might be in order :shutit: :winky:

This is to compare the consumption figures of my 300h after its first 16000km (10000 m.)

and those of two 250s in which I did 130000km and 105000km respectively. The second

250 (2009 model) consumed slightly less than the first (2006), there having been some

improvements to the efficiency of the engine, but I have averaged the data for the sake

of simplification. My calculations are based (with a few rare exceptions) on the km driven

between full-tank starts and low-fuel warnings divided by number of litres consumed. In

the case of the 300h, the figures are cumulative and reflect the car's entire life so far, while

those for the 250s ultimately became so predictable as to require no further monitoring.

My driving mix typically consists of 10% Motorway/60% Provincial and Country Roads/

20% Town Traffic/10% Big-City Traffic, and has changed little through the years though

it may vary from one tankful to the next. My driving style is not particularly aggressive or

twitchy, but a tendency to slightly exceed speed limits means that the figures could well

be improved:

300h 17.0 km/l (My Calculation) = 48.0 mpg

17.2 km/l (Car Computer) = 48.6 mpg

250 8.9 km/l (My Calculation) = 25.1 mpg

9.1 km/l (Car Computer) = 25.7 mpg

Three things are clear:

1. My fuel bill (and negative effect on the environment) is almost halved, which is very

impressive;

2. Lexus' claims of 23.3 km/l (65.8 mpg) for the 300h and 11.0 km/l (31.1 mpg) for the

250 are meaningless in the real world (though perhaps useful for comparisons with

other manufacturers and their models since the official parameters are the same for

everyone);

3. Computer readings should not be taken as gospel, although they are not too far off

the mark.

With specific regard to the 300h's motorway performance, I can offer the following

figures and thoughts, having just driven 1650km from south of Milan to Copenhagen,

a trip I make twice a year. Because the usefulness of the hybrid system in motorway

driving is reduced, and despite the lower power and number of cylinders in respect of

the 250, I was not expecting much of a saving on fuel. I was, however, very pleasantly

surprised. Variable weather conditions and heavy traffic, as well as frequent roadworks,

especially in Germany, mean that an average speed of better than 100km/h for the

entire stretch is a good result (110km/h was normal a decade ago), and this time I

managed a creditable 103km/h. Total consumption for the trip according to the

computer was an excellent 14.9 km/l (42.1 mpg) against the 8.3-8.6 km/l (23.4-24.3

mpg) I used to get with a 250. This means that after starting out with a full tank I would

have needed to fill up only once en route, which I did after 846 km (525 miles), putting

in 55.7 litres, the low-fuel warning having appeared at 837 km. The decision to fill up

again 150km short of Copenhagen was therefore prompted solely by my unwillingness

to make a final approach to the city with the car running on reserve. Needless to say,

the entire trip was smooth and comfortable, and the car's cabin (with Mark Levinson

and a snoozing wife for company) was a nice place to be when stuck in queues or

crawling through German roadworks - and made even nicer as a result of the many

interested glances received from drivers of the better brands of local machinery.

• 2 weeks later...

1st full tank: 673 miles from just under 60 litres, works out at 51.7mpg.

The computer reckoned 55mpg.

Range was down to 5 miles at fill-up, and the light came on at about 40.

I think the car companies need to change the way they test and issue mpg figures, as it is borderline fraud imo. The journalists get on my nerves sometimes too, they expect every car to handle like a sports car, then when it does, they complain that it rides too hard, to be honest, I don’t take too much notice of what they say anymore. sorry to go off topic.

I have no idea how you guys are getting such high mpg's, unless you are going everywhere like driving Miss Daisy :)

I'm not going mad and on a mixed run of town and dual carriageway returning a consistent 44mpg. I'm happy as that is 10mpg more than my GT86 was, but not as good as my wife's Mazda 6 which is returning 47mpg and that's not even a hybrid!