Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tpms Change Soooooo Expensive

So was I ripped off by lexus Reading

Charging me £81 for diagnostic but if you have the tyre repaired now, which we would recommend as it isn't safe, then its £200

That's expensive I said, they responded 'its the cost of the parts'

Well I find out I would have been charged £45 for the part from parts but it was nearly £70 on my invoice plus nearly an hours labour charge to replace a valve and programme? Is this correct as a friend who fits tyres has done them before and it has been 5 minutes er corner for fit and then about 5 for the reprogramme???

So my calculations are about £54 for part inc and about £25 for labour inc so that's £79 not £200 hmmmmmmmm

Complained and got manager calling me, but bet that doesn't come down to £79 lol

So was I ripped off by lexus Reading

Charging me £81 for diagnostic but if you have the tyre repaired now, which we would recommend as it isn't safe, then its £200

That's expensive I said, they responded 'its the cost of the parts'

Well I find out I would have been charged £45 for the part from parts but it was nearly £70 on my invoice plus nearly an hours labour charge to replace a valve and programme? Is this correct as a friend who fits tyres has done them before and it has been 5 minutes er corner for fit and then about 5 for the reprogramme???

So my calculations are about £54 for part inc and about £25 for labour inc so that's £79 not £200 hmmmmmmmm

Complained and got manager calling me, but bet that doesn't come down to £79 lol

At the end of the day, its totally your fault. Sorry buddy, but you have to ask the price for something before you get them done. If you dont like the price, you just walk away.

Also, they recommended that it isnt safe. They "recommend" anything from tyres to an air con regeneration and its the owners decision to choose what he wants to do.

I wouldnt say you've been ripped off as clearly they have provided a service and therefore you have to pay for it. Obviously, they arent going to be as cheap as a back road tyre guy. I also think that £25 is too low for labour. They would have taken atleast £70 for sure

Moral of the story - ask the price before you pay.

Yeah I know, stupid me for feeling pressured into buying something and feeling that I didn't have a choice to take it else where. Shame I was made to feel that if I drove it away I was putting my life at risk as I am sure this is not what 'lexus' advise their service people to make people feel. And I am sure this is an isolated incident as my dealings with Reading have always been excellent - Just not this time.

Totally my fault !! yes I agreed to pay (as would have you in the circumstances) and yes I take that on the chin -BUT I do not want others suffering the same just because only lexus can supply and fit these parts and know that they can use this fact and the 'its dangerous' point to push you to say ' OK just do it as I don't have a choice' (My words).

Again, Stupid me for feeling intimidated, pressured and trapped, stupid stupid matt.

As an aside - the actual work - as always is excellent - just didn't enjoy the pressure or feeling ripped off.

How can they charge 0.8hrs labour if they only have the car for 20 minutes? That 20 minutes includes time to wash it badly, which I presume I Don't pay mechanics labour for.

Yeah I know, stupid me for feeling pressured into buying something and feeling that I didn't have a choice to take it else where. Shame I was made to feel that if I drove it away I was putting my life at risk as I am sure this is not what 'lexus' advise their service people to make people feel. And I am sure this is an isolated incident as my dealings with Reading have always been excellent - Just not this time.

Totally my fault !! yes I agreed to pay (as would have you in the circumstances) and yes I take that on the chin -BUT I do not want others suffering the same just because only lexus can supply and fit these parts and know that they can use this fact and the 'its dangerous' point to push you to say ' OK just do it as I don't have a choice' (My words).

Again, Stupid me for feeling intimidated, pressured and trapped, stupid stupid matt.

As an aside - the actual work - as always is excellent - just didn't enjoy the pressure or feeling ripped off.

How can they charge 0.8hrs labour if they only have the car for 20 minutes? That 20 minutes includes time to wash it badly, which I presume I Don't pay mechanics labour for.

Another thing is that if the TPMS doesnt work, it doesn't mean it needs doing. All it does is measure the pressure in the tyres which can actually be done with a visual check. I dont really see how they claimed it was not safe. They probably meant its unsafe because its not working.

A tpms can only be dangerous if its doing something to the tyre which I presume it wasnt?

That, on reflection, is what I thought; but at the time I thought the world would end if I didn't change it.

I know now that I should have walked away and sought alternative options. OR taken it on the chin that lexus are not cheap.

Expensive lesson learned! Just don't give them any more of your hard-earned. Ask around, mates etc., for a good independent who will do just as good a job at half the price. Sadly, when you use a main dealer you are going to pay top dollar just for the name. Doesn't mean they will do a better job.

• Like 1

Expensive lesson learned! Just don't give them any more of your hard-earned. Ask around, mates etc., for a good independent who will do just as good a job at half the price. Sadly, when you use a main dealer you are going to pay top dollar just for the name. Doesn't mean they will do a better job.

Thats beyond untrue. They have strict regulations to follow which the backstreet garage guys dont. And if there is a problem, theyll fix it asap. With all the work ive had done, its only been about £30 more each time at the main dealer for little jobs.

Rayaan, I said a "good independent" not a backstreet garage, but hey, its your money; if you want to throw it away then that's your choice. But if you think main dealers do a better job just 'cause you're paying more, then you're kidding yourself.

• Like 1

Rayaan, I said a "good independent" not a backstreet garage, but hey, its your money; if you want to throw it away then that's your choice. But if you think main dealers do a better job just 'cause you're paying more, then you're kidding yourself.

A "good independent" garage will charge only slightly less than a dealer. If you think a "good independent" garage charges 50% less, then youre kidding yourself buddy. My dealer only charged me £80 to get a wheel refurbished. You're telling me a "good independent" wheel refurb guy will do it for £40? If you find one, let me know.

Rayaan, obviously we have had different experiences so can we leave it at that? I don't want to get into a slanging match with you; that's not what a car club like this is for. So you carry on paying over the odds and I will save my hard-earned and we'll both be happy. OK? Thanks.

I think it is sometimes easier to pay a little extra to be able to shout nice and loudly when something goes wrong with the repair - I have always had a dealer straight away say 'no problem we will sort that' and a poor indy say 'its a new fault, happens when you replace parts' As for a good Indy, I had one but he went out of business when he retired and the new owners are useless. So if anyone knows any good indys in the Wokingham/reading area.....................

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links