Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Warmer Weather.

PaulWhitt20

• 2 weeks later...

After 2k mine is now getting 55 mpg - based on brim to brim readings. This is on mainly A, B and unclassifed roads with about 200 long motorway runs. Very little town driving.

Hopefully this will further increase as the car loosens up more.

I generally use the normal driving mode, occasional use of sport for overtaking and a growing use of Eco mode for a smoother ride for passengers.

Really enjoying the CT after getting used to the change in driving style - following umpteen years driving conventional cars!!

to the technophiles out there... Why is it that the warmer weather improves fuel consumption? I would have expected it to make it worse because of increased use of the air con...

On a non hybrid car when you use air con the engine is put

under more strain because it has to turn a compressor, causing you to use more

fuel, on a hybrid car the compressor is powered by electric from you car

Battery witch is why your air con will still work when your sitting in a traffic

jam with the engine not running.

Your brakes and power steering work on electric for the same

reason. Admittedly this would drain your car Battery quicker and therefore the

engine will tend to run more to re charge it, but you will only really notice

this if you spend a long time in a traffic queue.

• Like 1

to the technophiles out there... Why is it that the warmer weather improves fuel consumption? I would have expected it to make it worse because of increased use of the air con...

The NiMH cells used in the hybrid Battery have a lower usable capacity at low temperatures plus it takes longer for the petrol engine to get to operating temperature both of which decrease mpg in the winter months. You also tend to draw more power through the use of lights, seat heaters, rear demister etc

• Like 1

Finally got 61.2 on that tank according to the on board computer or 57.5 according to Fuelly. Very happy at halving my fuel costs from previous car. Mostly in normal mode with the air con on. Battery works better when it is warm.

How have you changed your driving style for a hybrid?

Haven't even done 1000 miles in mine yet but yesterday while it was hot I went petrol station put £20 in and all of a sudden was hitting 60+ mpg???? Admittedly i did start using normal mode rather than eco. I find eco i have to put my foot down more as there's just no power. Highest i got was 67mpg. Was mainly town driving with abit of dual carriageways. I also have found that ev kicks in sometimes when doing nearly 40mph. Very impressed as the car hasn't even been "run it" yet

Haven't even done 1000 miles in mine yet but yesterday while it was hot I went petrol station put £20 in and all of a sudden was hitting 60+ mpg???? Admittedly i did start using normal mode rather than eco. I find eco i have to put my foot down more as there's just no power. Highest i got was 67mpg. Was mainly town driving with abit of dual carriageways. I also have found that ev kicks in sometimes when doing nearly 40mph. Very impressed as the car hasn't even been "run it" yet

I can get 99.9 mpg briefly if I use EV mode out of the petrol station and coast down the hill!

60+ is good for a new car, mine was strugling to get into the 50's when it was new, however it was November to March, hence the reason for this post. It will be interesting to see what it drops to in the winter.

Has anyone tried using super unleaded? Does this make a difference? however I suspect it won't be a big enough difference to cover the extra 6p per litre cost.

i tried the super petrol that turned out to be not so super petrol, no difference in mpg at all ,so in my opinion its not worth the extra

i tried the super petrol that turned out to be not so super petrol, no difference in mpg at all ,so in my opinion its not worth the extra

for how long? You normally need more than one tank full to really notice any difference.

for how long? You normally need more than one tank full to really notice any difference.

cant remember if it was 1 tank or 2 ,when i had a mercedes i noticed my mpg had gone up by the end of the first tank by roughly 40 miles so it was worth the extra pennies / ltr in that car but the lexus i wouldn't say it was worth it as i haven't noticed any difference.

if your engine has been designed to run on the super unleaded then yes you will see a difference and feel the benefits over the std fuel

the ct engine has been designed to use the atkinson cycle and maybe this is why the super isn't that great in our cars

there have been some Prius series 3 owners, which uses the same engine at the CT, who have tried it and found an mpg improvement, however depending on cost difference of SU compared to regular unleaded, which seems to vary around the country, the increase in mpg probably won't offset the additional cost.

Let's see what People are getting and in which mode. It will help to adjust driving styles to get best from our great cars.

So, 63.8 mpg at avg of 28 mph. Temp at 22c. This was in normal mode? I'm certainly not achieving anywhere near this.

Mpg figure must be for at least half a tank. Otherwise you could reset it and drive down hill in ev mode and get 99 mpg. Which is not representative.

Perhaps Lexus could send anyone who managed to get over 65 mpg a free pen and anyone over 78.5 (the official figure) a free car.

Please remember to drive safely. Do not sacrifice safety for the sake of economy.

there are a couple of impressive ones on fuelly.com including one in the UK

http://www.fuelly.com/car/lexus/ct200h/2013/cadfile/209400

http://www.fuelly.com/car/lexus/ct200h/2013/Ymon/243798

and some not so good

http://www.fuelly.com/car/lexus/ct200h/2013/Sethyhead/188844

make sure you are viewing the UK gallons - top left of the page

Why is everyone still talking miles per gallon, when we all (apart from the Americans) buy our fuel in litres, and their gallon is different to the imperial gallon anyway.

Surely its easier to work out miles per litre ?

Why is everyone still talking miles per gallon, when we all (apart from the Americans) buy our fuel in litres, and their gallon is different to the imperial gallon anyway.

Surely its easier to work out miles per litre ?

or go completely metric and get rid of both gallons and miles.

Mpg figure must be for at least half a tank. Otherwise you could reset it and drive down hill in ev mode and get 99 mpg. Which is not representative.

Perhaps Lexus could send anyone who managed to get over 65 mpg a free pen and anyone over 78.5 (the official figure) a free car.

Please remember to drive safely. Do not sacrifice safety for the sake of economy.

i have just checked my trip a and b milage and they both read 1752 miles so when i posted my milage the trip would of been around the 1650 miles about 4 tanks

This is what I got after my test drive of a CT back in 2012. The test drive consisted of a bit of motorway and my journey to work. I think the way I drive which is very sedately and my journey to work which is all 30-40mph limits really suits the Hybrid system. To say I was impressed is an understatement

DSC02911_zpscb50f54b.jpg