Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reliability And Gas Conversion

Barry1000

I currently own an ls430 which I have found to be fantastic. I am thinking of also buying an sc430 and was wondering how the reliability compares to the ls and whether anyone has gas converted an sc?

Thank you for you help

Barry

Reliability should not be an issue, mine is 12 years old, and it's been 100% bullet proof for years. You will get occasional things, but reliability is not something I'd worry about. Now boot size, that's another question!

What's the point of a gas conversation on a 430sc? Its economical as it is. 30mpg is enough for anyone. I would be more worried about mph..

As for finding somewhere to put gas tank !!! Put it in the space reserved for the rear seats !! That's it....

Saving money isn't cool.

Saving money isn't cool? Not but it does mean you can spend more on cool things rather than petrol, point of LPG isn't to increase MPG it's to take advantage of the lower cost of the fuel itself. Never done enough miles to warrant it myself but would consider it if I did!

I had my SC430 converted but realised most SC owners would be horrified as it might look like you are defeating the object. I would support this sentiment if I could afford it. This is a great compromise though if you cannot afford the high fuel prices. I am a teacher and should strictly speaking not be able to afford such a great car. I have learned through my LS400 that a Lexus could be one of the cheapest cars to own if you do your homework. These forums are key!!! Ialso had my LS400 converted years back. Not a single problem. No difference in power but get 280 miles on £40. I share the cars with my wife depending on the kind of trip we swop cars.

With my SC I get 300miles on £40. I do not miss the boot space as I only put the roof down on short trips. If I do have luggage I do not put my roof down or place it on the back seat. I do not think this will happen a lot and only when I take my wife on a weekend trip. I do not like putting the roof down on a long trip on the motorway anyway. When I have my children with I use the LS400. I now have a luxury car running at the same cost as an 1100cc. The cost of any trip is now 40% cheaper.

Sc430

A 70l tank fits in the boot space. I closed this space with original boot cover and if you do not know the car you would not even notice the tank or lack of space. With the roof up you still have a great boot when needed.

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies. I can see the pros and cons of converting or not. The most important thing is to decide to get one of these great cars. I have read a few reviews but not driven one. They do seem to suggest that the earlier cars had quite a harsh ride on the run flats but this had been rectified on more recent cars. Is this true and if so which year did they make the change? One of the real pleasures of the ls430 is the comfort of the ride and I was rather hoping the sc430 would be the same.

Barry

The main thing about LPG is how you drive the car... There is certainly an MPG difference and a BHP difference (its lower) but as you pay less for fuel and 'if' you don't use the performance of the car its good value if and only if you do enough miles per year to justify it.

Personally I don't.. I would have to wait over 4 years to get my money back for the conversion. I also use the power and like driving fast and I like overtaking. So reducing the BHP 15% also is a loss.. So it just not worth it.... for me..

LPG contains 20-25% less energy than petrol. Some of this is offset against the fact that it burns more efficiently so a figure of a 15% loss of power is typically used. Specifics of each engine design will vary this figure slightly.

I think 15% is conservative I would put it nearer 20% . But your right, you cant argue with the science put less in and you get less out. Most people don't even get close to using the performance available in a car with nearly 300bhp.

Thanks.

I probably never use close to the maximum power and that is why I do not notice. This should not be a problem for somebody who wants to use the maximum power as you just switch to petrol when you need it. When you cruise, switch to gas and save 40%!

Like a previous post i have had mine converted and experienced no problems as of yet in 18 month, just lower petrol bills. i worked out it would be 2 yrs before the system paid for itself, i nearly have my money back within 18 months. made up i did it, great looking car, i don't boot it so its no concern on acceleration issue ( hardly any difference ) but it works out 40% cheaper to run. big saving in anyones wallet. I too had the tank fitted in the boot, its a long tank that goes along the back of the car in the space where the roof doesn't touch when in the boot. it holds 75 Ltrs. well worth looking into.

good luck

I boot mine all the time and its a second car no point in taking up boot space or saving money.

Even if you can switch to petrol you still have to carry all the extra weight. Its a great car for exactly what I want just how it is.. could do with being a bit faster but ... that's nit picking..

I have noticed I can pass someone with the roof up and they don't seem to mind. But do it with the roof down while wearing sun glasses and they get really upset... Now why is that??

• 1 year later...

There is also one more important fact for using LPG its much kinder on your engines, also what comes out of your exhaust pipe is much much cleaner and much kinder to our wonderful planet. I have had LPG on various cars of mine and the wifes cars for the last 16 years and whilst you get slightly less in MPG and also a slight drop in power the LS400 is such a powerful beast its hardly noticeable. Mike.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links