Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fairly Urgent Advice Needed Please

I have a guy interested in buying my car, and he wants to come tomorrow and take it with him. Thing is, I want to transfer the reg number to the one I'm picking up on Sunday. As you have to be the owner to do that, how does it work if the new guy collects it and becomes the new owner? If that makes sense!

If the guy buys the car, technically the plate will then belong to him and he could refuse to let you have it back. The plates have to be transferred first to be water tight. Not a quick job to transfer either, so you wouldn't be able to do it over a weekend.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

If the guy buys the car, technically the plate will then belong to him and he could refuse to let you have it back. The plates have to be transferred first to be water tight. Not a quick job to transfer either, so you wouldn't be able to do it over a weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

Thanks for that. I'm assuming if we have an agreement in writing it's OK?

I have a guy interested in buying my car, and he wants to come tomorrow and take it with him. Thing is, I want to transfer the reg number to the one I'm picking up on Sunday. As you have to be the owner to do that, how does it work if the new guy collects it and becomes the new owner? If that makes sense!

I own my plate and what you need to do is to apply for a new reg for the present car and send the the certificate of plate ownership they will in turn send you details of another reg for you old car plus the Certificate which can be used anytime up to 12 months plus the updated V5. Put the new plates on the old car and away the new owner goes.

As you can probably guess its not done in a day, they normally take up too 10 days.

Hope this helps. Mike