Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is200 Starts Then Cuts Out

Dear All,

I would really appreciate your support/direction with this issue that has caused me immense stress.

Background prior to the problem
I operated the car for one month and covered just over 1000 miles without a single failure. To confirm the fog lights do not work nor does the cruise control (tried a replacement stick).

Since I bought the car a month ago, I had the oil and oil filter + air filter serviced. I also changed the headlight bulbs only.

The car came with two remote keys with one of them with the key attached. I swapped these over a week before the issue began. When I then went to unlock the car a few days later it would not unlock, I attempted to use central locking which caused the alarm to sound. It finally unlocked when I had the remote close to the rear aerial. This fault disappeared thereafter.

The Issue
Last Saturday I drove the car 110 miles without fault. Seven hours later I drove it from cold start and at idle at the traffic lights it made a spluttering judder then was ok. I pulled over turned off the car and re-started fine and continued. When parking it in reverse it cut out and would start then cut out a few seconds later? The engine management light displayed.

I was coincidentally picking up my friend a mechanic, he disconnected the Battery for 1hr, we then restarted the car and it ran with no engine light or issues at all. It operated through at least 10 start ups between journeys that night without failure.

On the Sunday, it played up again in the morning from cold and would not start. I disconnected the Battery and again it worked fine however, this time with the engine light on. To confirm when I drove it, it ran beautifully as always.

Finally come that Sunday night I went to move the car from cold but it will not run. To confirm it starts successfully then after 3 seconds or so cuts out?

Attempted resolutions
-I have changed the key remotes over again, and done the unlock/lock sequence in the car (the red light goes off when either key is inserted)
-I have had the Battery checked
-I tried another Lexus fuel pump
-I replaced the fuel pressure regulator sensor (under Lexus dealer’s Chief Technician’s informal recommendation)
-Had an experienced car electrician check the relays quickly

To confirm the car diagnosis computer produced the following fault codes P1316 and P1656.

I would really appreciate some support! All threads I find online produce no solution.

Many thanks!

P1656 is Oil Control Valve circuit malfunction error. The OCV is part of the VVTi system. P1316 is injector wiring fault - didn't think the IS200 produced that error, it isn't listed in the trouble code chart.

Given those two issues I would check to make sure a wiring loom isn't damaged and that all your earth straps are secured.

As well as the error code did you get the freeze frame data, it would be useful to know what has happening to the engine at the time of the error.

Thanks so much for the reply!

Unfortunately I wasn't provided the freeze frame data.

The loom's and earth straps are all ok...could it be the ECU? I heard of people having similar issues and that when they opened up the ECU it was damaged internally?

hi these cars Ecu are normally ok only problem in the dum place they put it in , i had a problem like this on a customers lexus is i found it to be the ignition switch it was cutting out as soon as it starts and he did great distances as well . the ignition switch on these cars do get worn and it fails to keep connection to the ecu . To see if the ignition is at fault, if it doesnt start or starts and stops , turn the key +- 15 times on and off not cranking the motor then start it up, it should start up and idle if it works then there is your problem replace the ignition, hope this helps :) .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links