Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sputtering, And No Check Engine Light

DriftingStKitts

So today while I was driving I noticed less power, and the engine sounded different out the exhaust as if it was misfiring. When I got to my destination, I saw a little smoke come out the hood. I got out, popped the hood, and didn't see anything. I drove it home with the same issue, but when I got home there was no smoke. When I first bought the car about 2 and a half months ago, I took out the spark plugs to see if they needed to be replaced, and they all seemed fine, however I noticed that on the spark plug wires I noticed liquid gasket on them where they go into the valve cover. I'm wondering if some of the liquid gasket had come off, oil got on the plugs, and fouled them up? Does that sound logical to you? I'm about to pull the plugs as soon as my baby takes a nap. Any feedback would be nice as right now I can barley afford a spark plug, and as far as getting the actual gaskets, it's very hard / expensive to get anything for my car on this island. Also if I were to redo the liquid gasket job I don't know how. I just always bought the gaskets myself. Please help!

Thanks,

Alan

if it jumped one or two teeth on the timing belt you could experience something like you are seeing, any more and it would be worse or wouldn't run at all. You would have to turn the engine over by hand, align the crank timing marking and check the cams are where they should be. It is rare for this to happen, worth checking air filter, exhaust/cat. Is the engine getting hot, hotter than normal?