Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220D 2007 Tyre Replacement And Tracking/geometry

Bk201

Hi all,

Developed a little split in the tyrewell of one of my rear tyres. Now looking to replace all my tyres (front ones are a little worn).

At the moment I have:

Bridgestone potenzas at the rear 245/45 R17

Toyo proxes TR1 225/45 R17

Can anyone suggest tyre makes/models suitable for my car. Would be nice if it would handle a bit better than the Toyo on snow (last time it snowed, I was doing donuts on my driveway).

So, suggestions for good tyres, at reasonable prices, and where to get them from please.

Thanks.

Asda do tyres aswell I know a bit strange just Google asda tyres @ get it fitted near u by a local garage I found then cheaper @ u don't need to travel too far to get em fitted Halfords fit tyres through them @ cheaper aswell hope this helps

Asda do tyres aswell I know a bit strange just Google asda tyres @ get it fitted near u by a local garage I found then cheaper @ u don't need to travel too far to get em fitted Halfords fit tyres through them @ cheaper aswell hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks iftikhar. I am aware that asda do tyres, and there are a few others like black-circles, tyre-shopper, tyre-leader, pneus-online, camskill (whom I've used in the past), I know a local garage who will do the fitting for about £10-15 for me. And lexus birmingham will do the geometry and tracking for £99.

I car originally came with:
Dunlop sportsmaxx at the rear 245/45 R17
Bridgestone potenzas 225/45 R17 (which were replaced with Toyo Proxes TR1 in 2012)

However, the Dunlop sportsmaxx and the Bridgestone potenzas have really bad fuel efficiency (both have rating E). I have seen

"245/45/R17 Continental SPORT CONTACT 5 95W" for £136 each fitted
"225/45/R17 Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 91W" for £89 each fitted

I like both as they are pretty silent (71 and 69dB), good wet braking ratings (B and A) and also good fuel efficiency (both C's), and f1autocentres.co.uk Erdington branch will fit them for a total of £450 (plus geometry/tracking from lexus for another £99), so total expenditure will be £549.

So its cheaper than the quote from Lexus Birmingham (by ~£250), better fuel efficiency than the dunlop/bridgstone/toyo combination I have had (which should save me about £60 in fuel per year according to an article I read online).

I wanted to know other lexus owners views on these tyres and if they recommend anything different for better performance/value?

Found a few others that I think might be interesting to look at:

*XL means reinforced tyres

Rear:
Continental Sport contact 5 245/45 R17 95W (XL) ~£136 Fuel=C Wet=B 71dB
Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 245/45 R17 99Y (XL) ~£126 Fuel=B Wet=A 70dB

Nexen N'Fera SU1 245/45 R17 99Y (XL) ~£77 Fuel=B Wet=B 71dB

Front:
Continental Conti-SportContact 5 225/45 R17 91Y ~£90 Fuel=C Wet=B 71dB
Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance "225/45 R17 91W" ~£89 Fuel=C Wet=A 69dB

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 K120 225/45 R17 94Y ~£75 Fuel=C Wet=A 71dB

Overall then, for both the front and rear corners, the Goodyear look like the best premium brand to go for, in terms of fuel efficiency and wet braking, plus online reviews seem really positive. But going with the lesser known Nexen and Hankook combination leads to savings of over £100. Decisions, desicions... Any thoughts? anyone?

Personally, a saving of £60 a year is paltry if the lower fuel efficient tyres offer even 2% more grip in the wet.

Stopping before bumping someone > £60.

OK, longevity makes a difference in terms of how long to replace them but I feel wet performance + quietness > all.

All season tyres make a huge diff in colder conditions too but they vary in their snow performance A LOT between tyres.

Depends how far south you are I'd expect :D

Can't comment much on the choice as I've not replaced any on mine yet, but I have heard lots of good things about the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

For all season, Nokian make excellent tyres, WR A3 seem to be on my shortlist.

Personally, a saving of £60 a year is paltry if the lower fuel efficient tyres offer even 2% more grip in the wet.

Stopping before bumping someone > £60.

OK, longevity makes a difference in terms of how long to replace them but I feel wet performance + quietness > all.

All season tyres make a huge diff in colder conditions too but they vary in their snow performance A LOT between tyres.

Depends how far south you are I'd expect :D

Can't comment much on the choice as I've not replaced any on mine yet, but I have heard lots of good things about the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

For all season, Nokian make excellent tyres, WR A3 seem to be on my shortlist.

First, nice profile icon. I really enjoyed the first season of SaC.

The fuel saving aspect is important, because it makes a difference to the running cost of the car (in 24 months, the tyres recoup the cost of one tyre). And the goodyear efficient grip performance for both the front and rear, have excellent fuel efficiency (B for the rear and C for the front tyres) and wet braking (both A rated).

In comparison the Eagle asymmetric 2 (rear size) has fuel efficiency of E and wet braking of A.

The nokian WR A3 (rear size) has C ratings for both fuel and wet braking (and 72dB noise too!)

The noise rating isnt particularly important here unless you have sensitive ears, as I could only find variances between the tyres ranging between 68dB to 72dB, (and the goodyears do well here at 69~70dB). Sitting in the cabin, I doubt a difference of 1 or 2dB will make much difference. I think the noise levels are tested externally in any case, for noise pollution, as there is a big push for quieter roads, hence manufacturers are making quieter tyres.

And the wet braking distance on the tyres I posted are generally really good Mostly A or B rated, so I would expect them to perform really well in rain.

This all fits in with my original question of good tyres at reasonable prices. The Eagle F1 asymmetric has really good reviews though and I will look into it, but from what I can see, it works out a little bit pricier than my current picks.

Yeah, into Anime a bit :P Favorites: Death Note, Attack on Titan, Neon Genesis Evangelion (Original series), GitS.

Note, all "All season" tyres will not show great wet grip due to the compound used and the temperature the ratings tests are performed at.

(There should be a sub 7°C set of tests done alongside the usual ones but there isn't :/ )

So comparing wet grip between all season & summer tyres is pretty much review / independent test based unfortunately.

Also heard good things about the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance & Continental Sport Contact 5 - But that's just from heading to 3 different sites (like Mytyres, oponeo etc) and comparing review after review :P

A few peeps here have advised recommendations in other threads - But honestly I think the best bet is reading 200+ reviews on different tyres, possibly with a shortlist in mind.

Some summer tyres are not terrible in snow but all season are the only way for keeping any traction when really cold.

Will suffer a bit in the other 3 seasons but the time when grip is needed most is ice/snow & wet.

3dB will double the sound. I find my current (summer) Kumo + Jinyo I'm finding the road noise somewhat loud.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links