Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300H Bakes

I had to brake a bit abruptly and noticed the car was jerky and had to press the pedal few times..

I understand that its due to electrical system transition to the normal mechanical braking...

It did give me a bit uncomfortable feeling as the car didn't come to a complete stop in first attempt...

Does others have similar experience?

Thanks

The car may have noticed a slip so the traction control may have turned on. Thats the only thing I can think of. Could also be the antilock brakes.

Really we need to understand your definition of abruptly. If you initially press hard you effectively go straight to mechanical braking so you shouldn't feel a transition. If you press really hard then brake assist will kick in and apply a full braking force which also may trigger the ABS.

Were you initially braking and then had to press harder? In that case you go through a transition from electrical braking to mechanical.

I have also noticed this and it can be a bit disconcerting. Usually happens as described by ColinBarber, initial gentle braking but needed to press harder to come to a stop.

I find it a bit choppy slowing down to traffic lights, as if the drive-by-wire brake isn't quite as well programmed as it was in the CT I had before. Not quite as smooth as it should be !

My solution is to hit the Chill Pill and drive in Eco around town. It seems to smooth the brakes out enough, plus you're less champing at the bit when waiting for the guy in front to change gear :devil:

I find the brakes a bit unpredictable and hard to modulate as a result.

I've not done enough miles in it yet to really understand the whys and wherefores but it is something I noticed early on.

It seems to be most noticeable during intermediate braking i.e. harder than a normal slow to a stop, but not a 'jump on the pedal' moment.

By comparison, in my Honda (IMA hybrid) the transition between regen & mechanical was pretty much undetectable.

I used regenerative braking and then closer to the junction applied the brakes rather quickly. It was the point when I noticed slight jerkiness and which lead me to press the pedal couple of times more...

I suppose the braking system of hybrid vehicles is best used with main focus on regenerative braking and using the mechanical as a last resort..

• 4 weeks later...

I think it is just the ABS kicking in which ABS is designed to do when braking heavily. Just keep braking and let the technology do the rest. Can be a bit scary in Ice until you realise that it is all in the safety system.