Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Know How To Change A Headlight Bulb?

Has anyone replaced a low beam headlight bulb on an LS430? This is on the drivers side, and I almost hesitate to say the most "accessible" I had the light on this morning in the rain and someone flashed me. When I got to work I looked at the headlights and one was higher. When I popped the bonnet I just touched the back of the light and the bulb dropped out!

I've tried everything to get it back in, any ideas? There are two spring clips which I've released, so does the bulb go in its holder and then twist in the headlight unit and then the spring clips go on? I've tried and tried but I just can't work out how it fits. Thanks.

Just to clarify what I was trying to ask, does the bulb go in separately,and lock into place before the connector goes on, and then followed by the clips. The bulb doesn't seem to me to lock into place. Every time I think I have it it just comes out again. Sore hands now!

Thanks Mark, I have done a fair amount of internet searching but not really found much. There is a YouTube video of a different model Lexus having the bulbs changed but it was a different set up, although the fittings were the same, and they made it look easy!

What's annoying is the way I can get the bulb in, but I can't get it to stay there. Worst case is I'll have to take it to a main dealer and experience the pain as the money passes through my nose!

Not sure if it's any different than the ls400.

On the 400 you put the bulb in the headlight housing and then use the metal clips to secure it. a little force is needed as the clips have to be seated under a 'lip' of the housing.

Not sure how to explain it better...

Sorry Phil / The-Acre, I've not yet replaced any lightbulbs, so I have no experience.

However, according to my (2005) LS430 Owner's Manual:

1. "align the tabs of the bulb socket with the cutouts of the mounting hole" before, what looks like having to...
  2. rotate the bulb a quarter clockwise turn to secure it in place (note, no spring clips or similar)

Here, let me show you...

attachicon.gif05LS430 Headlight bulb replacement.jpg

Thank you for that info. Unfortunately it looks like they changed it with the facelift model.

Not sure if it's any different than the ls400.

On the 400 you put the bulb in the headlight housing and then use the metal clips to secure it. a little force is needed as the clips have to be seated under a 'lip' of the housing.

Not sure how to explain it better...

Rudy, I've looked on the eurocarparts website and the part for the 400 and earlier 430 is the same, so it could well be the same set up. So as far as you know the bulb doesn't turn in the housing to lock it in place, it's just held in with clips? Then the connector is pushed on and turns to lock that in place? If so, that would explain why I've not managed to get the bulb to stay in on its own.

Just checked my 2003 ls430, same fitting as described in the images above, 30 second job, no clips in sight anywhere.

It may be that it's for the high beam bulb, the low beam is the long D2R bulb which fits in a different way. Unless of course it changed between 2002-2003. I'll have another go today now that the skin on my hands has settled down! It surely can't be that difficult, I've got access to the back of the headlight unit, just enough room to get my hand in, so I must be doing something wrong. Oh for the days of Haynes manuals for every car!

Someone on US forum suggested taking some photos with an Iphone to get a better idea of where things go as it's impossible to see the back of the headlight unit without removing it, so hopefully this will help.

post-32919-0-17017700-1405846228_thumb.j

post-32919-0-10639100-1405846254_thumb.j

That's very clever, and you're spot on. After taking the photos I was able to work out where the bulb sits and where the clips go. Easy when you know, in fact it takes 60 seconds to change the bulb when you know how! They're supposed to be changed in pairs, but unless there's a noticeable difference the other side will have to wait as there's lots of dismantling to do. Thanks again,