Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Autolights Feature Controls Will Turn Off Fog Lights Too - Be Safe

Important safety note - do not use the auto function when you need fog lights - the feature will turn off the fog lights too when it reaches its lower limit. Driving west along the M6 it got foggy (<100m) so I slowed down & turned on the fog lights but crucially when the sensor detected an increase in light levels, even though the fog had not lifted, it turned the all lights off. I reported this to Lexus but they failed to reply for 6 weeks so I chased but have not responded to what is a safety issue. Shame about the incident and that Lexus customer service is so poor in their follow up, I think they are embarrassed that this happens, that it's not properly described in the handbook which reads "When the light switch is in AUTO the headlights and all lights turn off automatically if the powerswitch is turned to ACCESSORY mode or turned off" and by not responding & not admitting this is a fault it will go away and no one will get hurt as a result. Be warned and be safe.

the fog lights will only operate if the headlights are on, I would expect the fog lights to be turned off if the auto headlight system determined the lights should be off. Not really sure what you are expecting?

auto mode always has the potential to cause problems. During the day if you need your lights on you should manually switch from auto to on to avoid lights turning off when you don't want them to however there is normally a sensitivity setting that your dealer can alter, I assume this is the same on the IS, so you could get it increased.

Foggy conditions is the only time I ever need to manually turn my auto lights to 'On' manually as although it maybe foggy more often than not the sky is still bright which can lead to the headlights not coming on at all or going off prematurely.

This isn't a Lexus specific issue as I currently drive a Q5, but an auto light 'characteristic' in general

Bottom line, if you want to use fog lights (front or rear) always manually turn your headlights from auto to 'On' :)

Pretty sure the highway code says you should only have your fogs on with your dipped headlights anyway. No big deal and as above usually fog is very bright so sensor thinks its daylight. Just turn them on manually.

Pretty sure the highway code says you should only have your fogs on with your dipped headlights anyway. No big deal and as above usually fog is very bright so sensor thinks its daylight. Just turn them on manually.

that would be more of an issue with the auto high beam feature rather than the auto lights function. You shouldn't use full beam in fog because it just reflects the light and reduces your visibility. Lexus recommend the auto high beam feature isn't used in fog although I'm not sure if it will automatically turn off the system if you turn on your fog lights.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links