Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Road Noise

I can't believe it, but I'm having a test drive on Friday, in an IS300 F-sport, can't wait.

I remember my IS 250 was terrible for road noise, how's the 3rd gen ones, are they much better, and how do you find the ride.

I know I'll find out anyway, but there always seems to be too much to take in on test drives.

As you say you will find out for yourself, but I also came out of a 250 into the F Sport. I don't remember the ride noise being that bad and it's certainly not an issue for me in the 300h. It's a "tighter" firmer ride IMO, and certainly much much better handling than the 250. The looks are better, the petrol consumption is half what it was and the journalists moaning about the CVT can, again IMO be ignored.

Make sure you have a go in Sport (turn the ASC up for a laugh too) as well as enjoying the electric experience as you creep along in silence burning no petrol. It's like driving different cars.

Look forward to your feedback!!

IMO it is much better than the 2nd gen. Not as good as an RX or GS but an improvement.

I agree in some respects, and nothing is perfect. I personally don't like the RX drive nor the GS, neither car sticks to the road as well as the new IS. The IS build quality is not as good as the GS or RX and I'd love the 450h engine in the IS!

All my opinion of course.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

IMO it is much better than the 2nd gen. Not as good as an RX or GS but an improvement.

I agree in some respects, and nothing is perfect. I personally don't like the RX drive nor the GS, neither car sticks to the road as well as the new IS. The IS build quality is not as good as the GS or RX and I'd love the 450h engine in the IS!

I'm just specifically talking about road noise and ride, not considering handling.

Had mine nearly a month now. Comfort is good but I am on the 16" wheels. Road noise varies according to surface but it is noisier

than my previous car. On smooth (now where do we find that these days) roads it normally is quiet and refined. Wind noise well suppressed too.

Tried the ASC on max volume but did not notice it !! Perhaps I am deaf..........

I'm just specifically talking about road noise and ride, not considering handling.

Gotcha.

The Bridgestone tyres are known to be noisy. I guess Lexus use them because they are Japanese? Need to wear them out and swap to a quieter tyre, like a Dunlop or pirelli.

Road noise in all of the Lexus' I have had (4 over the past 15 years) have been very much subject to the road and the condition of the road you are driving on. The rest of the car is so quiet that the road noise is quite apparent and any change in the road surface is clearly heard. There are some lovely smooth surfaces which make the car almost silent to drive about in.

That said, the GS was quieter than the current IS I have. I have also noticed that as the temperature increases the road noise reduces slightly, probably because rubber on the tyre has softened up a bit and more compliant on the road. In any event, its still a very quiet and relaxing quiet car when you want it to be. I have no complaints!

The 2nd Gen IS did have quite high road noise unless it was new tarmac - it's not just that the car is otherwise quiet - the noise is high. The same, to a certain extent, can be said for my GS - whisper quiet in town, but on a motorway the road noise is high - concrete being particularly bad. It can be so high that at times you find having to raise your voice. Winter tyres do make it a bit quieter - so I blame the Dunlops' that are the standard summer tyre fitting.

• 3 years later...
On 24/07/2014 at 6:33 AM, DJP said:

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

I totally agree! 

I can honestly say I've not noticed any road noise in my is300h. Wind noise yes but not road noise and my car is on 18" wheels. 

Oh and I love the idea of an is450h.

My car runs on Bridgestone tyres too and I find them very very good and suit the car well. Sticks to the road really well.

• 1 month later...

My car came with Bridgestone Turanza ER33 which wear very little, have a great rim protector but were very noisy and lacked steering feedback. I then switched to Continental sportcontact 5 and noise was a little less but steering feel was amazing, razor sharp! These were prone to punctures and had no real side wall so the rims were vulnerable. I have just bought Bridgestone Turanza T001 Evo (specifically Evo) and these are the quietest so far. Steering a little less sharp than before but better than the original ER33- a good compromise between the previous two and I like the quieter ride. 

On 1/15/2018 at 8:00 PM, BaransuIS250 said:

My car came with Bridgestone Turanza ER33 which wear very little, have a great rim protector but were very noisy and lacked steering feedback. I then switched to continental sportcontact 5 and noise was a little less but steering feel was amazing, razor sharp! These were prone to punctures and had no real side wall so the rims were vulnerable. I have just bought Bridgestone Turanza T001 Evo (specifically Evo) and these are the quietest so far. Steering a little less sharp than before but better than the original ER33- a good compromise between the previous two and I like the quieter ride. 

on my old is250 i always went with the Continental sport contact 5's but decided to go with the OEM Bridgestone's when i need to change my tyres on my is300h  as they seem to wear less that the Continentals and as I mainly do motorway driving. if the road noise gets a bit noisy then i just turn the stereo up a notch.  

On 24 July 2014 at 1:02 PM, Blisteringblue said:

I certainly noticed the noise on a rubbish concrete monstrosity out of Grimsby this week, but can't say I notice it any other time. Maybe my old Volvo was just as bad so I'm used to it.

Please disregard that road, it was built for longevity and the road noise is a well known issue in any car, even my LS400 can't conceal it on that particular stretch!

Had a new LS 460L for a courtesy car for 4 months when Lexus replaced my IS Sport with a IS 300 .

All had a refined yet firm ride that impressed anyone who road in them .

The road which exposed the fault on Sport had a mile of traversing service main humps every 30m. that were a good test of any suspension system.

Speed limit was not an issue c. 05.00 hrs & the only difference in the models was that the LS thump/bump was more refined but not significantly so .

My 2017 IS is firm & close to the LS when set on Sport Mode.

My Mk.2 ISF was similar but all German Sport models were harsh as they are skewed to handling.

Sport models are significantly different to standard on 19” wheels let alone smaller diameters which will refine the bump/thump so you take your choice.

Tel