Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi John I agree with most of what you say, yes the car did amazing before the egg hit the fan, my grumble is the cost of full service and extended warranty which only ran out by 2 months before only because they would not renew it because of age of vehicle, so they seemed happy to relieve me of large amounts of cash for what ?? to make the car more reliable ? then to try and steal it off me for £900 when in fact the suspect pump is available for a fraction of the gearbox they tried to sell me.

I just feel my loyalty to the brand was repaid with a kick where it hurts.

• Like 1

I guess I knew it couldn't last for ever but am disappointed by the failure of my hybrid pump, sounds exactly the same a Hayne's GS450 did. 2 things have irrated me:

1 No warning, I thought not quite normal some time before the "Check hybrid" message came up (anybody know how you check a hybrid system in lane 2 of the M25?) The car was still running so I called Lexus MK only to be told "don't drive the car" so got it recovered. It seems the problem is made worse by driving it but I suspect the damage was already done by the time a warning came up, seems crazy it doesn't tell you to stop.

2 The car has had 19 Lexus full ( not essential ) services, is still under a service plan, out of warranty only because they would no longer cover it at 7 years of age but Lexus refuse to help with the cost of repair, still trying to make their profit rather than help a loyal customer of 10 years.

So it seems this lovely car is headed for scrap as they want more than their trade in offer just before this problem occurred.

Any thoughts ? oh and it passed the hybrid healthcheck very recently

Will not own another expensive car, just lease now so always under a warranty.

Just wondering if there is a RX 450h owner out there with a genuine rubber boot liner for sale?

Hi Tony, every time I read this thread I feel your pain, I also feel that after all your loyalty and loads of dosh spent Lexus could have done more to help you and the derisory offer for your car just made it far worse......wish you well..

Allan

Hi all, just found out my old 450h was sold in a midlands auction for £41/2 K, so if anybody else is considering selling one of these do not be tempted to accept a trade in bid from dealerships, I was bid £2 K before problems arose and £900 with the engine management light on.

Vasilis was right it his earlier post re values.

Cheers, think I will stop moaning now and move on.

"Won't get fooled again" As said by Roger Daltrey.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, here is what happened to my GS450h

the Lexus dealers who had serviced it 15 times (full not essential ) offered me £900 against a smaller car.

Mercedes Benz who had never heard of me paid me more than 3 times the bid against a lease on a new E Class, which also has servicing costs way less than half of Lexus rates, £30 RFL and averages 55MPG on each tankfull. That didn't take too much thinking about for a business vehicle.

I do miss the GS, the Merc is not as nice or quite as fast (licence feels safer!) but it but it aint gonna be a disaster as I don't own it, less than £15 K over 3 years including servicing does it for me, I paid almost that in warranty and service costs after buying the Lexus with hard earned cash.

I have decided these high tech cars are too complicated to own as the dealerships will not repair just whole unit replacement and nobody else is prepared to have a go. I could not spend another 6 K to replace the gearbox knowing the rest of the car had done 200 K.

Thanks Tony. You reinforce my 'KISS' philosophy (Keep it simple, stupid)

THe old 2CV advert had a list of all the features a 2CV DIDN'T have. At the bottom said "Nothing to go wrong"!!

I'm half inclined to go back to an old love, a Citroen CX 2.5 Auto. Not the simplest, but......I know most faults!

And, of course, my fave little car is a Citroen Mehari! Which now fetch 'fashion' prices!

I'm still tempted by a GS430 though. Power and comfort. (Ghost Dog car!)

Currently driving -and enjoying - a Nissan Elgrand van-3.5L V6 from 350Z car, seems well put together so far after 12 years in existence!

But don't need the space/size so.......what next?

Perhaps a Smart Forfour. Plastic (no rust) 1.5 so nippy......

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to hear about your troubles. However, if you look at Jaguar, BMW and Merc forums , I think many owners of those makes would be over the moon just to reach 200, 000 miles. I was looking at a 450h to eventually replace my LS 400, but not so sure now. I think my ls strikes a perfect balance between luxury and simplicity, so may keep for some time. I am considering a gs430 as I understand it has the same V8 engine

• 2 years later...
On 07/09/2014 at 10:07 PM, ColinBarber said:

I would inspect the fluid, but it is unlikely to be in such a poor condition to cause a problem for the flow or pressure sensor.

What error code(s) are you receiving? There is a TSB in the US for a problem with the pressure sensor causing P0731 and P0732 errors, and another TSB for errors P0867 and P0990.

Hi Collin 

I am facing a similar issue on the transmission and lexus chester come back to me with the error code P0990 - TRANSMISSION FLUID PRESSURE SENSOR 'E' CIRCUIT HIGH. 

Do you know anything about this?

Thanks 

The following has some information on the TSB I referred to.

http://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/gs_450h/v6-3.5l_(2gr-fse)_hybrid/transmission_and_drivetrain/sensors_and_switches_transmission_and_drivetrain/sensors_and_switches_a/t/fluid_pressure_sensor/switch_a/t/component_information/technical_service_bulletins/all_technical_service_bulletins_for_fluid_pressure_sensor/switch/sb0006-09/feb/09/engine_controls_mil_on/dtcs_p0867/p0990_set/

I'm not sure it is relevant to your situation as the TSB came out before your vehicle was built and seems to be specifically for 2007-2008 models with a VIN below a certain value. Your vehicle, being a 2010 model, should already have the modified sensor and ECU logic update.

Did your dealer provide any explanation? Typically when a sensor circuit is low/high it implies the sensor itself is faulty (or bad wiring), rather than a problem with the thing the sensor is actually monitoring. If the sensor does need replacing the TSB implies it should take around 1 hour, but your dealer should follow the repair procedure for that error code to firstly determine the actual root cause rather than just swapping out parts until the fault is fixed.

Thanks Colin

The dealer dd not say any thing they are still investigating the fault. They just provided me the code.waiting for them to come back to me on the repair

Does this sound like a major issue? I could drive the car fine dint notice any issue while driving. 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update you must have seen this on Haynes post. But the pump bearings are "easily" replaced within a couple of hours the most and the cost is about £12 incl postage.

So do not write off your cars as of yet ... just because Lexus say gearbox replacement needed.

Now from what I understand if the bearings failed... and the car is driven for a long time (days) then the Hybrid Battery might fail as it does not charge properly... also the 12V Battery might fail too as it relies on the good operation of the Hybrid system to charge it.

So it is like a chain of events in a way

• Like 1

Hi,

Don't worry about driving your car with the failed transmission pump,it will be fine. I drove mine for about 6000 miles before I resolved the pump issue.The hybrid Battery charged just the same, as this is from the alternator, so it will always stay at the same charge. The hybrid system still works, it is just limited in its functionality. After all, as there is no mechanical reverse gear on the car, the hybrid motors still let you reverse your car electrically. 

The only real difference is that the car can't change to its high ratio, as it needs the pump for this, so you cant go above 80mph. Also, you won't have much power from standstill until the engine revs, as it relies on electric power to give you the low end power (especially when setting off up a hill).

Don't worry about it, just order your bearings continue to drive it and then fix it one weekend when you get round to it. 

Giles.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi all, Tony Richa is back, after 3 long years trundling around in a diesel Mercedes ( faux leather seats yuk !!!) I have bought another GS450h SE L . This time low mileage and a less " in your face colour" Semi retirement means annual mileage will be a fraction of previous levels so hopefully will last a while. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tonyricha said:

Hi all, Tony Richa is back, after 3 long years trundling around in a diesel Mercedes ( faux leather seats yuk !!!) I have bought another GS450h SE L . This time low mileage and a less " in your face colour" Semi retirement means annual mileage will be a fraction of previous levels so hopefully will last a while. 

Good to have you back Tony. How was the Merc ?

Regards

John

Thanks for your welcome back wishes. Mercedes not good, basic and uncomfortable but very goood on fuel. Just felt so mass market after 4 Lexus cars. Needed pads and discs after just 30K !! GS did 135 K on its originals.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

taken from another post:

I have found the receipt for the Hybrid Pump bearings.

Not sure if the part numbers would make sense, so I have measured the bearings with vernier callipers so the correct parts can be ordered.

I bought mine from Brammer UK Ltd, in Hereford (01432 276630). The part numbers are 61900-2Z and 608-2Z. They were in stock at the time.

The dimensions for the front bearing are 22mm OD, 10mm ID, 6mm width.

The dimensions for the rear bearing are 22mm OD, 8mm ID, 7mm width.

Giles.

also a full write up here with pictures:

http://carlthomas66.blogspot.com/2016/03/lexus-gs450h-transmission-oil-pump.html

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers Mark

I removed my pump and fitted the new bearings but found another problem which i sorted at the same time. If you guys take the pump off check the gear pump as well. I took a video of my pump and its failure. You can see the shaft from the motor has worn the inside of the gear away so it would not turn the gear pump.