Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What do,you guys feel about modified ls400?..when I bought mine I must admit I had an eye on sticking an big set of alloys on it and a nice window tint...iv seen some of the cars on the American forums and I like the look....but....my car is a totally original survivor...65k miles, unmarked bodywork and, remarkably, unmarked original wheels in a1 condition....

I do love the way the car looks but I keep looking at the pimped out look haha....now, these cars are sadly undervalued and will I significantly undervalue my old bus by doing this....none of it is irreversible anyway..?....anyway, what are your thoughts.....my car as it is....

May need resized...?

post-50811-0-46902000-1406228244_thumb.j

Some subtle mods are OK I guess.

I have clear indicators and side repeaters on mine.

I REALLY don't like the look of 22" inch wheels and at a stance that looks as if the axle is broken :)

Well, at least the wheels and tints will be easy to remove once your sense of taste returns. ;)

But that beige-gold is possibly the least pimpable colour isn't it? Darker colours work a bit better, but IMHO the LS's shape is all wrong: http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/168267/lexus-ls400-1996-awesome-ashford

Why not plastidip it, too? Flip-flop paint the next owner can peel off!

Er... good luck...?!

Some subtle mods are OK I guess.

I have clear indicators and side repeaters on mine.

I REALLY don't like the look of 22" inch wheels and at a stance that looks as if the axle is broken :)

Clear indicators and side lights look cool, for sure. Bronze tint on the side back windows?

• Like 1

Well, at least the wheels and tints will be easy to remove once your sense of taste returns. ;)

But that beige-gold is possibly the least pimpable colour isn't it? Darker colours work a bit better, but IMHO the LS's shape is all wrong: http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/168267/lexus-ls400-1996-awesome-ashford

Why not plastidip it, too? Flip-flop paint the next owner can peel off!

Er... good luck...?!

Well IMHO it looks fine to pimp a LS400, just not my scene, and given I think it is a well balanced motor in the first place, this level of pimping must make it less comfortable on UK roads.

Also I would probably get a bit fed up with people peering in and asking if I had any of those class A sweeties that this sort of car seems to shout out.

It's your car mate. If you want to mod it and it will make you happy then go for it. No point asking others as everyone is different. Do what makes you happy and gets you maximum pleasure from your car :)

Nice as it is, the only bling I did on mine was daytime running lights in the scoops near the foglights

I did fancy whiteband tyres at one point, but never did it!

It's your car, so it's up to you what you do with it. If I'd listened to folk I'd never have ended up with a 350hp V8 Morris Minor.

Pete

Oooh lets see some pics, sounds interesting. Mike

Seems like quite a contentious issue...yes, my car is in really good nick and it's a low miles original....but as some have pointed out, it's my car...ironic thing, I wouldn't have bought a modded one, I specifically looked at this one whilst looking for another old jag because it was so original. I'm never happy buying a modded car as you often wonder how the car has been looked after if 'image' was all the owner craved.....but it's mine now....and there are a nice set of deep dish black multi spoke 19s local to me....and they would look good agains of the gold....with a dark tint....and a wee bit lower....arghh....stop me

• Like 1

I think you have answered your own question - "I wouldn't have bought a modded one".

When/if time comes to sell it on any potential buyer might think the same?

No doubt you would get more dosh for an original, low milage and 'unmolested' LS :)

Ruud, I think you're right.

When I bought my Mk3 from ACLex on here ( 3yrs ago now ) I had the option of buying it with all of his excellent DHP changes, wheels, tyres, suspension, white lenses etc BUT he also offered me the option to take it back to it's ( then ) excellent ) original condition ........ which latter option I chose.

Malc

I'd hazard a guess that most would-be buyers of an LS400 would avoid modded cars (like the Retro Rides one I posted - I know I did). But as long as it's an easy bolt-on/bolt-off thing, you can always revert. So go for it.

I've got some dark tint, clear lenses and bigger alloys to take off of another car here to get it back to the 1993 OEM appearance. At least I can flog the wheels easily enough. :)

I think you have answered your own question - "I wouldn't have bought a modded one".

When/if time comes to sell it on any potential buyer might think the same?

No doubt you would get more dosh for an original, low milage and 'unmolested' LS :)

My point was I wouldn't have bought a modded car, but I KNOW my car is a good one, cherished and looked after, so I don't mind modding it for cosmetics.. This way I know the mods have not been done at the expense of general maintenance.. Come resale, it would be easy to advertise it with the options above, ie returned to standard or lightly modified...either way, the non used parts could also be sold on....as I have said, I am undecided about this, but I love the look of the gold car in the link I posted...horses for courses, ....so long as I would not be excommunicated from these fine pages...ya never know when your gonna need help or advice....

Re affecting value, I have tentatively offered my car for sale over last few weeks as I return to uni in September and won't need it...if there were no takers, the modding road would probably be the one I would go down....I could spend the money I save on fuel on cosmetics....realistically, even with the condition and miles I am under no illusions, this is a £1500-£2000 car, max....at this end of the market, modifying can alienate some traditional buyers, but may also give the car a usp for someone with similar tastes....still a £1500-£2000 car....it's a crying shame these cars are so undervalued, but then, it enables impecunious owners like myself to own and experience a car that was designed with one criteria..to be the best....this car knocks mercedes, jags and bmw I have owned into the proverbial cocked hat....it's getting under my skin!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links