Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying A Used 2007-2008 Is 250 Auto - Advice On What Check?

Hi all,

So, I've decided to not go for the 220d diesel variant due to hearing just too many horror stories that it has put me off. I'm on the lookout for a used IS 250 Auto with paddle shift, sat-nav with reverse camera, Mark Levinson audio system, parking sensors, heated/cooled seats, etc. Basically I think that narrows me down to the SE-L and Sports models.

I've seen an image of a car I'm interested in, but noticed this photo uploaded by the seller (attached) seeing some lights on when it appears to be idling. Should I be worried here? I've never owned a Lexus or automatic car before so just don't want to make an avoidable mistake.

- I'm curious what the 'Check VSC' means (vehicle stability control perhaps) and whether that is normal or not. I'm guessing not?

- It looks like it is in 'D' mode, so why are there two orange-lit symbols on the dashboard?

- Not sure if I've missed anything else or should check for something given the info shown on the photo.

Thanks in advance for any advice / comments.

post-50915-0-42325100-1406507396_thumb.j

When driving in daylight the only lights 'on' on my dash are D on the auto box display and the P of the parking sensors (this can be manually turned off).

Why anyone would put up pics with Check VSC on view is a bit puzzling. If its a 'nothing serious' problem, sort it, and put up pics with clear dash. Personally, I'd be suspicious this is someone who either knows nowt about the car (and probably never cared for it that well) or just wants shot. I'd be looking elsewhere already.

The Check VSC can be a any of a multitude of issues...you'd need the error code read to know what it is.

Preferably, you want Full Lexus Service History and all accompanying documentation.

• Like 1

The ABS unavailable light is on as well. As ABS and VSC are the same system, the VSC message will usually come up if the ABS light is on.

There is clearly a fault with the ABS system on this car. It would need the codes read and interpreted by someone with ABS repair experience.

• Like 1

Instant MoT failure!

Could be something simple like a wheel sensor (but even they aren't that simple on a Lexus) - or it could be something very expensive!

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree with you guys. It just looked a bit odd so it seems that by simply asking for opinions on here saved me a few hours drive and viewing which would otherwise be a waste of my time. I just had an uncomfortable feeling about it and it seems I had good reason to be! Thanks to all for your comments.

the petrol lexus 250 is one of the most reliable cars out there (I moved from an Accord and would accept nothing less, after a few months owning my car I am not in any doubt what is said about reliability is true), but if if goes wrong it will cost you. Especially the electricals.

So, I've found a car from a private seller. Problem is the detailed HPIcheck shows that it is outstanding finance. Seller tells me it is £1480 or so outstanding. I call Lexus Financial Services based on HPIcheck data and they confirm there is finance but can't discuss with me anything other than that. They say I can pay them, but without the info on the amount owing that's no use to me at all.

My next step now is to get the seller to settle the finance ASAP (i.e. today) so that I can call the lender and verify it has been cleared. How long would it take for the HPIcheck register to be updated with this fact, does anyone know? Is it instantaneous?

What other viable options do I have? Can I ask for proof of the oustanding amount, have them call the lender with me present to verify this over the phone, and then pay the seller the agreed sale amount less the outstanding finance and settle it over the phone myself either on the day or next week? I am hoping to check the car today and if I'm happy to pay a deposit to hold it and pay the rest this weekend.

Everything else seems fine on the HPIcheck info.

If you found out about the outstanding finance yourself (before the seller told you) then what else hasn't the seller told you .... what makes this particular deal better than other cars for sale out there

Personally I would leave well alone.

Don't rush in. Take your time and get the vehicle you really want. Why has the seller not sorted the outstanding finance in advance? Walk away...the last thing you want is to be thinking what else is there being held back.

Finance has been resolved now. I called Lexus Financial Services and they confirmed it has been paid off, and emailed me the confirmation to state they have no interest in the vehicle, number plate, VIN, finance agreement details all match. Seller also provided printed letter from the finance company to state the same, so it all ties up.

The seller is emigrating next week and webuyanycar offered them a few hundred less. They would've been the default buyer come tomorrow if I didn't take it. It's an 07 plate with mid 40k miles, and service stamps up to May 2014. Price is £6.2k agreed.

Got all details like proof of ID (passport, driver's licence, utility bills are current and old address) and checked their details online, and it all tallies up. Full HPI check done with VIN, mileage, logbook serial number and issue date all checked.

Drove the car for an hour. No problems noticed at all. Aircon is ice cold. Cooled seats work (not tested heated seats as it was bit warm for that). Bluetooth works. Paddle flaps work. No lights on dash during idling, braking, acceleration or normal driving. Tested VSC off, ECT Power and Snow mode. Folding mirrors fine. Electrics and buttons all work fine. Everything works. Checked under boot and bonnet for abnormal welds, none. Checked engine compartment with plastic hood removed, all looks clean, no leaks or stains. Checked both VIN plates (behind door and under windscreen) and they match and look untampered.

So I'm confident it's all good. I would've walked away if the finance was not settled.

Well done on being thorough in your checking over of the vehicle. Good that the finance thing was signed off properly.

So what have you got then? Is this an SEL? Sounds like it might be.

Enjoy it and the learning time(there is loads to read and understand). You got both keys....yes?

Above all...enjoy the whole experience.

Put up some pics when you're ready.

I left a deposit with them and had paperwork all signed. Will settle in cash tomorrow (my choice). Was going to do a bank transfer but at weekends I'm not convinced it'll clear in time, and I want to settle everything before the working week starts anyway.

The car is an SE Multimedia edition, not the SE-L I'd been keen on but the differences are such that I can live with it especially given the deal I got it for. So it doesn't have parking sensors, which I would've liked having pranged the back of my 2004 current car. But it has the touchscreen sat nav, reversing camera, Mark Levinson car stereo (sounds really really good... I know why they rave on about the audio now!!).

Car has 5 service stamps, 1 Toyota and 3 Lexus, with last service being the interim one in May 2014 (non Lexus but not back street type of place). I called both Lexus Sidcup branch and the garage to verify the service records and it tallies up. Before viewing I checked the MoT records online and it matches the MoT document he sent me, and is valid until end of Jan 2015. Road tax for a five more months. They're professional people and I checked Companies House records and they're on there.

Other things I checked are license plates being original (the rear one was from Tonbridge, which is where it was first sold at the dealership). Front number plate has a crack, but that doesn't bother me as the plastic support bracket is intact as is the bumper, so probably something minor like another driver reversing in tight parking spaces which we all know happens unfortunately. Bodywork is standard wear and tear for something that is 7 years old, but nothing alarming such as dents, major scratches to the metal, rusts, etc. A few small stonechips as expected. Could do with a clean inside and out though as it's unwashed and unvaleted.

Sat Nav worked well. Tried the voice control but didn't know how to use it, and they didn't either having hardly driven the car at all. Made a call to my voicemail having connected to the Bluetooth and it works. Tested all electric windows, tested the folding mirrors, and various other buttons including boot and filler cap panel release, all fine.

Car has 2 keys and comes with its owners manual, which looks hardly touched at all. V5C document is clean and unmarked. MoT document is the same. I asked for proof of ID, saw the owner's passport, driver's licence, Gas/Council Tax bills from current and previous address, etc. All tallies up and so far, other than the finance thing that has now been settled, nothing else was a major cause for concern.

Phew, what a hectic 28 hours it has been to ask all my questions, request loads of photos to be sent to be and have it all provided before I even viewed the car. Not that it was far from me, barely 45 mins drive away. The owner was so accommodating going out of their way to give me what I asked for, as they knew I was a serious buyer. So it worked out in the end.

I will give it a clean when I pick it up tomorrow, and post pics shortly... Sunday perhaps?

good stuff, its a quality ride them 250s. I did very similar checking when I got my car. I got my 08 SE-L for a bargain price, the sat nav was not working but its since fixed. I checked the vin on the car against the log book (very important step that), and checked the mot vs the on line version, the hpi check is good too.

general banter with the seller too is important, if a shady seller is trying to pull a fast one its usually picked up. Honest sellers are the best, I am pretty sure the car i got would be gone in a week if i did not get it.

The sat nav is really good on that car and the ML sound is fantastic.

post up pics and enjoy the ride.! we have a meet up in a few weeks too, tag along.

speaking of the cooled seats, how do people find these? mine are cool (for want of a better word!) but i would say that is the correct word, its not like freezing cold air is blasting up your bum. !

The air cooling feature is a comfort thing and I'm not sure if it works better when you also have aircon on, but I would think so. It's a pleasant, gentle fan-like experience. It's definitely not ice cold or anything like that and takes a moment or two to take effect, presumably as it takes a bit of time to change the air in the seat and penetrate through the layers?

The seats are amazingly comfortable. This is a real driver's car for cruising long distances, especially with the amazing sound system playing your favourite tracks. Feels like a sofa on wheels. I also love the sound of the door as it closes... very solid latch closure noise. I'm really looking forward to driving it for a few hours tomorrow. If the weather is good, I will take it to a jetwash and hose it down before I take it home.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit but I can already imagine that my next car will be a much higher spec Lexus! :-)

yeah, i see what you mean with a higher spec lexus, they are really understated machines in these shores, but thanks to rose tinted Britons salivating over German cars the second hand Lexus market in the UK has bargains., compared to other countries.

I agree. Audi's seem to be all the rage now and they are great cars but, IMO, they are over-rated and over-priced for what you get. Same with Mercedes and as for BMW's I am avoiding them because of the types of younger egomaniacs and passive-aggressive drivers they seem to attract. Had BMW's in the past myself, and they are good drives but like the Audi's they are over-rated for what they are.

Having experienced the Lexus for a full hour today, I'd say give me a fully-loaded Lexus any day. It's how cars should be built.

Guys, do you know where I can get hold of those clear plastic stickers that I assume are for protection against stone chips on the rear wheel arches of the Lexus IS? One of mine seems to be partially peeled off in two places, and dirt is getting trapped in the gaps between the body paintwork and the inside of the clear sticker itself. Tried to find it online but not having much luck... maybe I'm using the wrong search terms?

post-50915-0-51898500-1407230330_thumb.j

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links